Aggressive Overdrives with EQ?

napalmdeath

I have a Buxom Boost I love, and have had several Savage Drives. What else is out there that has Eq/tweakability? Been looking at the Xotic BB.. Thoughts?

I'm boosting a Splawn, and have several other OD's. My old, trusty Zakk Wylde OD does REALLY well with it, but it adds a bit of high end fizz, which is why I've considered an old SD-1, but felt it might yield the same results. The Splawn, (along with Greenbacks), has plenty of mids, so TS variants aren't really ideal, either. I already have a GT-OD, and Hardwire CM-2. The CM-2 is a great pedal, but too smooth/polite. I keep the GT-OD around too, it's also a great pedal with other amps.

Looking for something very aggressive/angry, and prefer some EQ/tweakability..

Suhr Eclipse is two identical circuits with a global voicing knob and each side has B/M/T controls. I have been loving that one recently. Set one side for stun and the other for kill!

I like my BB. Solid bang for the buck. But other than the Timmy, TS and varients of, MI Audio Blues Pro, various other pedals, but nothing overly new or popular, but I always go back to the Timmy and my trusty fulltone fd-2 mosfet. Which is where I started. The Bb is earning its way in the lineup me thinks. Not a ton of money, but the fd-2 is my go to.

swamptrashstompboxes":1ra7n0kb said:
I like my BB. Solid bang for the buck. But other than the Timmy, TS and varients of, MI Audio Blues Pro, various other pedals, but nothing overly new or popular, but I always go back to the Timmy and my trusty fulltone fd-2 mosfet. Which is where I started. The Bb is earning its way in the lineup me thinks. Not a ton of money, but the fd-2 is my go to.

FD-2 has been on my radar as well. Dont care for the Timmy, need something a little grittier.

Are you boosting any Splawns with the BB? FD-2?

Not an EQ per se, but the KH/DK Ghoul has some adjustment toggles the make it REALLY versatile. I like mine a lot.

JerEvil":vp03pdxj said:
Not an EQ per se, but the KH/DK Ghoul has some adjustment toggles the make it REALLY versatile. I like mine a lot.

I bought one when they were on sale for $99. I found it kinda... Meh... Better than a TS-9, for sure, but I wasn't blown away. For a TS-9 variant, I really dug the Cusack Screamer.

I'm wondering if an OD808X wouldn't be worth a go. I'm under the impression the mid hump is relaxed a bit, and its very aggressive.

I have a Lovepedal Eternity that adds a nice snarl to anything. The Strymon Riverside has a lot of range, mild to angry, smooth to sizzle, it’sa great pedal but pricey.

The MXR M77 BAOD is pretty aggressive. Kind of like a SD-1 with a bass control, and a mid shift. In the same family, I also like the Way Huge Green Rhino. If you can solder, the BYOC Green Pony is cool also. I have been using mine more lately. It you really want aggressive, use a Metal Zone to boost, ala Crowbar, Cannibal Corpse. :)

napalmdeath":a7uw1ijm said:
JerEvil":a7uw1ijm said:

I bought one when they were on sale for $99. I found it kinda... Meh... Better than a TS-9, for sure, but I wasn't blown away. For a TS-9 variant, I really dug the Cusack Screamer.

I'm wondering if an OD808X wouldn't be worth a go. I'm under the impression the mid hump is relaxed a bit, and its very aggressive.
808X is a KILLER pedal. Reminds me that I need another one! LOL!

napalmdeath":bvry2bik said:
acidvoodoo":bvry2bik said:
Shask":bvry2bik said:
The MXR M77 BAOD is pretty aggressive
Another great OD that doesn’t get much love!

I just sold one. I couldn't find a balance between thin and woofy.

You could try some distortion pedals also. Pedals based on the Marshall Guv'nor, and Rat are usually pretty good aggressive boosters when ran with low gain. I recently got a DOD 250 Preamp that is pretty transparent and aggressive.

napalmdeath":1dvlotzh said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1dvlotzh said:

FD-2 has been on my radar as well. Dont care for the Timmy, need something a little grittier.

Are you boosting any Splawns with the BB? FD-2?

I have not tried the Splawn with the BB. It likes the fd-2 for me anyways. I own three. Paid between $50 and $60 for them. They are a flexible boost. I can use them with a twin a bassman or a Splawn and have solid results.

I built an echoplex preamp that absolutely kills, but it's really basic. Adds that little bit of livelilness and a hair of grit.

KSR just started taking preorders for an Overdrive with an EQ. The description to me sounds like its like the Buxom Boost but you can add distortion to it. Its still 2 months away.

I absolutely loved the Friedman Buxom Boost with the Splawns I had. Those two just went together perfectly

I just ordered the tight series preamp from Airis Effects. I'll keep you posted. From the clips I have heard, it sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

ZR4400":2iar4g2j said:
I just ordered the tight series preamp from Airis Effects. I'll keep you posted. From the clips I have heard, it sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

Had one, again, a big meh....

ClintN667":u5p3in24 said:
KSR just started taking preorders for an Overdrive with an EQ. The description to me sounds like its like the Buxom Boost but you can add distortion to it. Its still 2 months away.

I absolutely loved the Friedman Buxom Boost with the Splawns I had. Those two just went together perfectly
I preordered mine. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I have an interesting one. A pigtronix polysaturator. 3 band, volume and gain. EQ is +/-15db. I still don't know how I feel about it tbh. But it is flexible. Paid $40. Worth a crack for $40

Back