New Engl models from NAMM

indespise

Fireball 25: https://www.engl-amps.com/fireball-25-e633#content

Same features as the FB100 (including the mid boost and the noise gate), but with a 25w 6L6 power section, attenuator (25w/8w/1w/off) and a line output (assuming this sends the power amp colored signal). Sounds pretty F'in cool to me, though being an Engl, I'm guessing it will be priced pretty high price for a "lunchbox class" amp. Having 6L6 tubes (like the MT15) instead of the usual EL84's should alleviate that small feel lots of people complain about with small heads. I have the 100w version and love it, would certainly be chomping at the bit for this 25w one if I didn't.

Ironball Special Edition: https://www.engl-amps.com/ironball-e606se#content

Holy shit @ the features on this one. Built in boost, noise gate, reverb, delay, attenuator (20w/5w/1w/off) IR loader (!) with 8 slots and an XLR out, headphone out, and MIDI control. Has EL84 power tubes. Looks like an all in one amp, and based on what people say about the original Ironball, I'm assuming it will sound great. Also assuming it will be more expensive than the FB25 with these features.

Powerball pedal: https://www.engl-amps.com/powerball-ep645#content

Powerball distortion pedal, not much to say about it feature wise. Either it sounds great, or it doesn't. Surprised it doesn't have a couple of the toggle switches the PB has.

Wow looks like they put that Fireball 25 directly inside my Gigmaster 15's chassis and headshell. They look almost identical.

Interesting stuff indeed, and from the pictures it looks like Engl went back to the brushed logo style on the Ironball SE; my favorite style as they did on the Savage and Blackmore. :thumbsup:
I don't care for the polished version (too glossy, fingerprint/dirt-magnet) that much.

I was always under the impression the Ironball was the low-wattage version of the Fireball/Powerball series. I guess not. Wonder how they compare.

How do the powerball and fireball relate? Other than both having balls, they dont sound the same to me?

I'm honestly not all that familiar with the ENGL range. I always thought the Fireball was just a two channel Powerball (which happened to sound different because of the simpler circuit but still along the lines). I guess that's not the case?

Rex Rocker":758i79z5 said:
I'm honestly not all that familiar with the ENGL range. I always thought the Fireball was just a two channel Powerball (which happened to sound different because of the simpler circuit but still along the lines). I guess that's not the case?
I’ve never actually played a Powerball, but I’ve had a Fireball 100. My perception from clips and live shows is that the Powerball is much more saturated. The Fireball is very tight and dry, sounding. A very savage sounding amp.

I've owned a FB100 before. Right now I have a Gigmaster 15 head.
It has much less gain than the Fireball and Powerball series...but I tend to like boosting medium gain amps just as much.

I make the Gigmaster 15 work for me by boosting it with a GE-7 in front. I typically use the amp for low-volume playing, as is with the case below.
I again forgot to walk away from the mic when playing, so ignore the pick noise.

Rex Rocker":yi03rrxw said:
I was always under the impression the Ironball was the low-wattage version of the Fireball/Powerball series. I guess not. Wonder how they compare.
I think the Ironball is more versatile and dare I say, vintage voiced (when it comes to the 'Clean' channel), compared the Powerball/Fireball.

It's on the smoother side of things (like my Invader), and I'm running the treble and presence at least at 2 'o clock to counteract that. It also has loads of mids like a Savage, but less raw.

I can't understand why Engl seems to have made the Savage 60MKII a full size head, when
a) the original was a 24"(60cm) wide version
b) there's an industry-wide shift to smaller amps

IMO, they've should created a Savage 60 revision comparable to the small Fireball, with some updated functionality (like footswitchable gain boosts and fx-loop).
Until then, I'll hang on to my O.G. Savage 60.... :rock:

D-Rock":10dxncux said:
I've owned a FB100 before. Right now I have a Gigmaster 15 head.
It has much less gain than the Fireball and Powerball series...but I tend to like boosting medium gain amps just as much.

I make the Gigmaster 15 work for me by boosting it with a GE-7 in front. I typically use the amp for low-volume playing, as is with the case below.
I again forgot to walk away from the mic when playing, so ignore the pick noise.

Sounds pretty good to me. There are a couple of amps I sold over the years that I wish I had been willing to take the boost approach on, was just so fixated on getting the sound I wanted plugging straight in.

The Fireball 100 is a good amp if you’re the only guitar in a band. As soon as it need to compete with run of the mill 5150 or JVM it gets lost. I’ve only ever owned the Fireball and Savage from Engl. Oh, and the e530 or whatever it’s called preamp.

Spaceboy":3oi9h0cl said:
The Fireball 100 is a good amp if you’re the only guitar in a band. As soon as it need to compete with run of the mill 5150 or JVM it gets lost. I’ve only ever owned the Fireball and Savage from Engl. Oh, and the e530 or whatever it’s called preamp.

5150/6505 is notorious for that, I don't think being overwhelmed by one of those is unique to Engl. It's just where the mids of those amps are, they cut like a knife. I dime my FB100's mids, use V30's,turn on the mid boost, keep an EQ handy for the loop if I need more high mids. Had a 120w 6505 for a few years (before/during the same period I've owned my FB100) that I traded for a 50w 5153 (still own and intend to keep)- both are great, I just really like the Engl sound more. My band's current lead player uses a 5153, pushing my mids (his are at about 12:30-1:00) the way I described gives us a nice mix. Last lead player used a Kemper with what I believe was a boosted Randall V2 based profile, had no problem competing in the mix with that. The older incarnation of my band usually had us running my old FB60 and a Peters Chimera (sometimes a boosted JCM900), kept up with those too. So I guess the short version is that I think the biggest driver of the bad rap floating around about FB/PB's get for not cutting in a mix is that so many metal players (the same base likely to buy the PB/FB lines) have 5150's/6505's- they're everywhere, you can get them pretty cheap, and they're a staple for the genre.

I find it curious that you never see this complaint about the classic VH-140C- I've seen single guitar bands using these where hearing the guitar is a struggle.

Oh, I can definitely lend that complaint to the VH140C too. It's a very overrated amplifier with no presence when it's put in the same room with a tube amp. I love it's sound recorded and a huge DF/John Gallagher fan, but after four of 'em, I've determined they do not work for me.

Back