NAD Monomyth Amplification 1974 JMP Black Sun

RedPlated

https://soundcloud.com/user-410256184/monomyth-amplification-1974-marshall-super-lead-black-sun-mod

https://soundcloud.com/user-410256184/monomyth-amplification-drop-c-track

Monomyth....probably the newest name in modded Marshalls. How does anyone stand out amongst the Friedmans, Camerons, Gowers, etc, etc...?

Well, for me, Monomyth's Youtube channel showed up under my recommended videos one day (thanks Youtube). I gave them a listen and was pretty floored by what I heard. The amount of gain, the tightness, agrressiveness and the voicing just all sounded so good. Not being one to be the first to jump on the band-wagon, I kept those clips in the back of my head, thinking maybe I'd look into them more one day.

I started seeing a few guys here on Rig Talk start posting about how much they loved their Monomyth amps. Shea, who IS Monomyth, began posting here as well. The reviews and comments were so overwhelmingly positive, I figured I should give one a try.

I inquired about a modded SLP for sale. The price was surprisingly reasonable and it was in stock, already modded. I jumped on the opportunity fairly quick. There were people starting to line up for it as there was only one available. I talked with Shea a bit and realized he's extremely easy to work with, easy going and zero sales pressure. Just like another one of us, really.

After a short amount of time I had a 2004 Marshall 1959 SLP reissue with the Black Sun mod and Blood voicing. After hooking it up, it had developed some odd noises when turned on and put in standby. It seemed that maybe something had occurred in shipping that may have caused some issues internally. The amp didn't seem to sound quite right so I turned to Shea who was absolutely fantastic about the situation. He happened to have a 1974 Marshall JMP Super Lead 100 that had also been treated to the same mods. It was from his personal collection but he said he would ship it to me immediately to make up for the issues with the SLP.

Shea had the JMP Fedex'd out in no time. He even sent it before he received the SLP back from me. He told me over and over, "..don't worry, I'm going to make it right."

So the details on the JMP... All stock iron, modded to run 5881 tubes, Black Sun mod with Blood voicing and "Rise" and "Fall" switches on front. This amp has tons of available gain, like a LOT. But...it can be dialed way back. I can play AC DC on it all day. It's extremely tight, you can chug like crazy. Yet it is not stiff at all, very easy to play.

Lastly, this thing is HUGE sounding. I've had 4 Wizards, two MC II and two MTL's. This amp makes those amps seem small. Never thought that was possible, yet alone from a modded Marshall. Its just insane how huge and brutal it can sound.

This amp has really impressed me. It does something none of my other amps can do, and I have quite a few good ones. None of them sound so huge and remain articulate under extremely high gain (none can do what this does gain-wise without a boost, no way).

I made a very much off-the-cuff iPhone video of the amp. This is literally set the phone on the floor, one take in two minutes. No special effects here. All I have is a TC Flashback in the loop. However, the video does show how versatile this high gain monster is.

I used my Charvel Music Zoo aged nitro San Dimas with a Duncan Custom bridge with Alnico 8 mag swap. Neck pickup is a DiMarzio Transition. A great pairing, BTW. Cabinet is a Friedman 4x12 with Marshall Vintage speakers.

In the video, I start at about 11 o clock gain on the amp, with neck pickup and guitar volume rolled back. From there I use a combination of guitar volume and neck and bridge pickups, along with picking dynamics, to regulate the gain levels and attack. Towards the end, I bump the gain to around 2 o clock (there's plenty left) and engage the Rise and Fall switches. The video in no way captures the hugeness in the room. It's pretty unbelievable...

Higher gain with PRS Tremonti:

Van Halen-ish tones with Charvel San Dimas and Dimarzio Super Distortion:

2voxHCFl.jpg

VtfMw5Fl.jpg

:rock:

Well said. When I and others say that this Monomyth modded Marshall does something no other modded Marshall does, we aren't kidding. I have had probably 20 modded Marshalls over the years, since I started on this GAS craze. Back in 2009 before I was here on RT, I found my first Cameron. Amazing modern modded 2203X. Since then I've had another 7 Camerons, Fortins, Friedmans, Lee Jackson, Voodoo, FJA, LA Sound Design(Golub), Soldano, Rockstah, Gower, Nick's Burning Rain mod, and others I forget.
The closest thing to this Monomyth 2204 I have would be that first Cameron. But they are still different. This has a grind to it that none have had. If you ever wanted to have a Marshall with Mesa DNA this is it. That's the best way I can put it. But, as the OP stated it can still be dialed down to hit any classic rock tone you want.
For those who have owned and enjoyed a Mark IIC+, you can relate: When I play my C+, the detail in the tone is unlike anything I've played. It's got this harmonic 'swirl' around each note that is unique. I've had an A/B/Y system set up here for a few yrs, and when I run a Marshall with the C+ the Marshall, as good as it is, usually gets 'out-toned' by the C+. Now when I play both the Monomyth 2204 and my C+ Coli, they mix perfectly and the detail/articulation in the 2204 is right there with the C+. Hard to explain but it hangs with the C+ in every way until I turn it up...50w vs 180w...not fair at that point.
All of you modded Marshall guys, take note and seriously consider sending an amp to Shea as he may have a HUGE backlog soon.....

Man, I really appreciate the transparency in this post, the last 5 amps I’ve let out have been to members of this forum and they have been so good to deal with, very quality people. Your clip sounds awesome, I’d love to share it if you don’t mind , you’re great player and I appreciate the words.

FondledDuck":3m5olwvw said:
I’ve got a 1987x with Shea right now and I am super stoked to get it back!
I’ve got a Black Sun modded 1987x and you should be! :thumbsup: His mod is by far my favorite to date. It’s super thick, yet tight. It’s modern, yet retains that classic Marshall bark and roar. I can dial in vintage crunch tones, or make it clank like Gary Fucking Holt. Cranking this amp and standing in front of the cab is absolutely surreal. It makes me laugh out loud. The fullness and harmonic content are unbelievable. I’m blown away every time I play this beast. Shea’s the fuckin man. :rock:

Beyond Black":25jr4cut said:
FondledDuck":25jr4cut said:
I’ve got a 1987x with Shea right now and I am super stoked to get it back!
I’ve got a Black Sun modded 1987x and you should be! :thumbsup: His mod is by far my favorite to date. It’s super thick, yet tight. It’s modern, yet retains that classic Marshall bark and roar. I can dial in vintage crunch tones, or make it clank like Gary Fucking Holt. Cranking this amp and standing in front of the cab is absolutely surreal. It makes me laugh out loud. The fullness and harmonic content are unbelievable. I’m blown away every time I play this beast. Shea’s the fuckin man. :rock:

YASSSSSS!

exo-metal":3payfnm7 said:
How does it chug? Nice clip!

This amp brings new meaning to the word, “chug.” I cannot put into words how huge yet tight it is. The eq is very responsive as well. You can really tailor it to get just the right tone. In short, yes, it’s got the brutal chugs for days.

Monomyth":3payfnm7 said:
Man, I really appreciate the transparency in this post, the last 5 amps I’ve let out have been to members of this forum and they have been so good to deal with, very quality people. Your clip sounds awesome, I’d love to share it if you don’t mind , you’re great player and I appreciate the words.

Of course, feel free to use that clip. We will need to get a proper demo done soon. I’m really grateful for this amp, I hope as many people as possible get a chance to experience your mods.

Great sounding amp! Killer playing as well.
Link to Monomyth website? Quick Google search turned up nothing.

Thunkful":324xtdxi said:
But the question still remains:

How does it sound @ lower volumes?
Just as good as it does at higher volumes. It saturates like no other modded Marshall I’ve had, making it a killer low volume player.

Killer review and demo I run mine without a boost and it will chug and has a great feel Shea is good people along with great work and communication .

Yeah mine was the first amp Ive ever owned that sounded the way I wanted right out of the gate. I could go from Alice in Chains to something like Amon Amarth to AC/DC all in the same amp. Im looking forward to getting another one done when he gets settled.

Back