Soldano Slo 100 Namm 2020

Thunkful":3gmsj01y said:
I think Mike's riding with the legacy of SLO and that's why he's set the price so high.

Would like to try one some day for sure, but they're kinda rare here in finland.

He's not setting the price, the actual owner of the company does. They probably need to quickly recoup what they paid Mike and when people actually want one, a few hundred bucks isn't that much of a deciding factor once you past the $3k mark.

It's slightly cheaper than before though. Used to be $4500 now it's $4100.

Yeah, I kinda forgot that the SLO was always super expensive. I use to wonder how the company stayed in business since the used amp sold for around $2,500 and you pretty much could always find one and supposedly they never changed, so any year should have been the same.

Now with the used prices so high, people are actually paying attention to the price of the new amps.

Truth be told they don't sell like hotcakes. When Mike was in business I highly doubt he sold 365 a year.

panhead":3cdq3x3y said:
Truth be told they don't sell like hotcakes. When Mike was in business I highly doubt he sold 365 a year.
Less than 3,000 SLO’s have been built since the amp began.

panhead":2bfgnh22 said:

Exactly! When they were readily available people had long moved on. Now, because they are revived a big deal is being made about a pretty dated sound for top $$$$.

rstites":2yx09yaa said:
Rex Rocker":2yx09yaa said:
What's the deal with the DeYoung transformers? What's special about them?

They were uber-expensive, custom designed transformers used on all the SLO's produced by Mike over the years. They have a more linear response (along with the power section) than what you get from most guitar amplifiers which tend to underspec transformers.

They have gone out of production too, so really new transformers were necessary. I agree that just doing a general update all at once was the best way to go here.
Got it. Thanks.

mrlucky":320c9gxc said:
panhead":320c9gxc said:

Exactly! When they were readily available people had long moved on. Now, because they are revived a big deal is being made about a pretty dated sound for top $$$$.
Dated? Pretty sure Marshall amps are way more ‘dated’ than any Soldano. Yet many modern rock/metal bands still use them.
If it sounds good, it sounds good. The price point of 4500 new kept most players away from new SLOs. Let’s compare amps in the same $? How many VH4s are there? Wizards? I seriously wonder. I have no clue but I’d bet those boutique builders may have the same or close production number of their flagship amps.

I like the updates they did to the HR25 to make it an SLO30, but so far planning to hold on to my HR25.

Only thing I thought they might have added is a half power switch to the SLO100.

With the new loop, everyone can try what I am going to try soon with the HR25. I am going to put a Kingsley Fender Blackface style preamp and use a True bypass AB looper to switch between that and the Internal preamp. Assuming I can do so without noise, should give me a nice BF clean, then I will set the normal to crunch, and Overdrive to a nice lead tone. Love the normal channel set to crunch, but I often need cleans.

Gents..I presume!

I had the pleasure of chatting one on one with Mike last week at NAMM - justd a guy walking by the booth - and..I would suggest that his new AMPS - for at least the next few years - will be ZERO difference than "Pre-Acq." He seemed pumped and dedicated and concerned about his name and legacy and is all over the BAD people. This all reminds me of Matchless, where it is complete nonsense that "Sampson era" amps trade at a premium to the new ones. If you could sell the old, and buy the new - that is not quite like buying Amazon stock 5 years ago - but not bad! and the "33" is what I am going to put away when they are available. And lets all agree with something - you CANNOT really hear on the internet what a 50 or 100 watt amp sounds like until you are standing in front of at least a 2x12 pushing air and your ears. Cheers

jbhermosa":2akvmrj0 said:
And lets all agree with something - you CANNOT really hear on the internet what a 50 or 100 watt amp sounds like until you are standing in front of at least a 2x12 pushing air and your earsCheers

Nope. Wrong. I’ve heard clips of the old ones and clips of the new ones. Obvious difference. Only discerning ears can tell.

jbhermosa":12nzcld7 said:
Gents..I presume!

I had the pleasure of chatting one on one with Mike last week at NAMM - justd a guy walking by the booth - and..I would suggest that his new AMPS - for at least the next few years - will be ZERO difference than "Pre-Acq." He seemed pumped and dedicated and concerned about his name and legacy and is all over the BAD people. This all reminds me of Matchless, where it is complete nonsense that "Sampson era" amps trade at a premium to the new ones. If you could sell the old, and buy the new - that is not quite like buying Amazon stock 5 years ago - but not bad! and the "33" is what I am going to put away when they are available. And lets all agree with something - you CANNOT really hear on the internet what a 50 or 100 watt amp sounds like until you are standing in front of at least a 2x12 pushing air and your ears. Cheers

Welcome to the board.

Mr. Willy":nxjy91og said:
jbhermosa":nxjy91og said:
And lets all agree with something - you CANNOT really hear on the internet what a 50 or 100 watt amp sounds like until you are standing in front of at least a 2x12 pushing air and your earsCheers

Nope. Wrong. I’ve heard clips of the old ones and clips of the new ones. Obvious difference. Only discerning ears can tell.

:hys:

jbhermosa":371q900l said:
and..I would suggest that his new AMPS - for at least the next few years - will be ZERO difference than "Pre-Acq."

Even Mike mentioned it would sound different because the new transformers are supposedly "optimised" for V30 speakers. Better or worse we can't really comment yet, but they'll sound different.

From soldano...

About the transfomers:

The transformers of the new SLO-100 are hand wound, one at a time, by Magnetic Compoments using the exact same specs as the Deyoung ones (which are no longer available). Magnetic Compoments did an amazing job on these and they deserve the recognition.

These transfomers, especially the output transformer, are very complicated in design and take a ridiculously long to produce. The first production of the SLO-100 is therefore limited to 100 amps worldwide which will take months to finish. More transformers are being built but it’s a slow process.

We know how high the bar was set with the SLO-100. We know the high level of scrutiny that would come when we released the amp. We are celebrating a bit because Mike, Peter and everyone at BAD worked on this for nearly two years and we are smiling ear to ear with the results.

And while the most important, the transformers are just a part of the story of the new amps. We paid attention to everything (every single minute detail). We know it sounds cliche but it was a labour of love because just like you, we are also die hard Soldano fans.

Ultimately you need judge for yourself and we welcome it. Anyone in LA that wants to come by and give them a test drive please let us know.

These are exciting times for Soldano. We love the passion and debate of the loyal fan base. Like all Soldanos - these go to 11!

godgrinder":1q14ohal said:
jbhermosa":1q14ohal said:
and..I would suggest that his new AMPS - for at least the next few years - will be ZERO difference than "Pre-Acq."

Even Mike mentioned it would sound different because the new transformers are supposedly "optimised" for V30 speakers. Better or worse we can't really comment yet, but they'll sound different.

I thought he said "the amp has been optimised" for V30 speakers, or did he say the transformer? I'm not sure how one optimises a transformer for V30s yet simultaneously builds an identical transformer. Tweaking the amp circuit to sound better with V30s would be the normal thing to do, but the original circuit sounds bloody great (to me) with V30s anyway. Some marketing bullshit crossing over into technical commentary perhaps...
We know the new amp uses relays, so straight away there wont be tone colouring from the channel bleed.

Back