Saw the Gibson Toni Iommi SG monkey for 2020

Not really much different than the EVH frankenstrat and bumblebee replicas... like $25K and $20K respectively I think... Crazy

GreatRedDragon":1fmsjmmv said:
Pricing is ridiculous.

You can custom order a Jaydee Old Boy, the exact guitar Tony has used for the last forty years, for $3000.

Not only that, but Tony's Gibson was just a modified 1964 SG Special with the major modification being the pickups, which can be bought from both Jaydee and John Birch. You can buy a real 1964 SG Special for a quarter of the cost of the Gibson, or if you don't want to modify a vintage model, this year Gibson is reintroducing the SG Special historic reissue for $3000.

Three options to get an Iommi SG, all of them a fraction of the cost of the Gibson. Insane.
Dude also did guitars for Angus and Malcolm

exo-metal":18lih6p0 said:
Fuck gibson...can't wait for them to go away and take their corporate take on the biz with them.

I'm not a fan of the signature prices but I tell ya man, I LOVE my 2019 Les Paul Standard. It was hundreds cheaper than the previous year and is amazing. Stays in tune, sounds great, etc.

So it must come with a real monkey then, right? Hey if they throw in some 6 months, no interest, I'm in!

Maybe each one has been anointed from Tony's secret stash of Ronnie's ball sweat from the original Heaven and Hell tour

Their thinking is that Iommi fans who would want this are the old guys who lived "it" at the time so they would be in their very late 50's early 60's so are totally flush with cash right?? :LOL: :LOL:

It's their "thinking" I have issue with. I'm not saying they've never turned out a good guitar in their time.

sytharnia1560":wxfrt24r said:
Their thinking is that Iommi fans who would want this are the old guys who lived "it" at the time so they would be in their very late 50's early 60's so are totally flush with cash right?? :LOL: :LOL:

This is the weird part because Iommi fans know he hardly used Gibson...

exo-metal":swiecr12 said:
Fuck gibson...can't wait for them to go away and take their corporate take on the biz with them.

What fan of the guitar says this?...

PS: Their new stuff feels fantastic, and their NAMM set-up this year was one of the best set-ups I've ever seen.

exo-metal":3lv6r3jv said:

That’s funny coming from a guy playing Jacksons. Lol

godgrinder":1drkeisj said:
sytharnia1560":1drkeisj said:

This is the weird part because Iommi fans know he hardly used Gibson...

That's not entirely true. Iommi used the Monkey SG for Sabbath's first six albums, and he used his Gibson signatures pretty heavily through the late 90s and 2000s, even if his Jaydee was his #1. For fans of Tony's entire career the Jaydee is the guitar to get, but by far his most important guitar is the Monkey.

It just blows my mind that it's so overpriced. I never would have thought Gibson would try to sell an Iommi signature for more than a Jimmy Page signature.

UltraGary":1ftyixa8 said:
exo-metal":1ftyixa8 said:

What fan of the guitar says this?...

PS: Their new stuff feels fantastic, and their NAMM set-up this year was one of the best set-ups I've ever seen.
I don't play Gibson I play Jackson who had in the past been a dream to work with. All their designs you could alter and not be told no unless you forked out copius amounts of cash. Who also is so stuffy they would sue at the drop of a dime because they have failed to innovate forever. I feel I need to clarify some, I wanted to buy from them and had ideas for a custom but ran into what everyone does when they have an idea for them, it either no or it will be astronomical. Not hard to feel like I do especially after hearing how frivolous their lawsuits are.

exo-metal":1ggb4lm7 said:
LCW":1ggb4lm7 said:
exo-metal":1ggb4lm7 said:

What does Jackson have to do with Gibson?

I think he is referring to the fact Fender own Jackson and that Fender are pretty much the same type of corporate business

sytharnia1560":1xh2v9l5 said:
exo-metal":1xh2v9l5 said:

I think he is referring to the fact Fender own Jackson and that Fender are pretty much the same type of corporate business

And $4000 guitars with scarf joints.

exo-metal":2g56k9bw said:
LCW":2g56k9bw said:
exo-metal":2g56k9bw said:

Jackson is just as corporate minded as Gibson. You might like their guitars better but the facts are facts. It's like saying you hate McDonalds because they are so corporate, that's why you eat Burger King.

Back