Mark IIB+ Coliseum vs. Mark IIC+ Coliseum.

How much better is the C+?

• $4000

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • $3000

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • $2000

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • $1000

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • $0

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

GJgo

Fight to the death of your ears!

Ok guys, be honest. A IIB Coli serviced and loop modded (like mine is) is maybe a $2K amp. A IIC+ Coli serviced is maybe a $6K amp. Is the C+ better? Yes! Is it $4K better? I recorded this today to shoot out the TONES. You decide!!

https://youtu.be/cQjjAtewUzQ

GJgo":2kqgiypp said:
Fight to the death of your ears!

Ok guys, be honest. A IIB Coli serviced and loop modded (like mine is) is maybe a $2K amp. A IIC+ Coli serviced is maybe a $6K amp. Is the C+ better? Yes! Is it $4K better? I recorded this today to shoot out the TONES. You decide!!

https://youtu.be/cQjjAtewUzQ
:rock:

Nice! The C+ has a bit more mids; I'd drop the 750 just a touch to even them out better. They both sound great...when it comes to comparing the feel with the C+ is obviously not gonna translate in a vid; the clarity as well. Those are the 2 most addicting things for me with any C+. Then you take the rarity of the C+ Coliseums...less than 90 made....they are the rarest of ALL the C+ versions.

Worth 4K more? Not to me. That's just too much cash for ANY amp. My C+ Coli was far less than that. The most I've paid for any amp was 3200 for a C++ HRG. My Coli was slightly less than that all in. But I didn't get it to flip. I knew it was the one amp that I'd sell any other amp/guitar to try and acquire, and the only reason I sold the Wizard I had. Worth it? Yes. Low volume-killer tone. High volume? 180w? Are you kidding me?? Amazing and a true 'drug' of sorts when I do get to turn it up. Even for 2 minutes of riffing it is a rush. Love it.

Jeremy I think you have the best of both worlds with both of those amps...the fast attack of the non EQ C+, fun as hell to play(I had a 60w 2C, no eq) and for that metal tone you can have the slaving option OR just straight in to the 2B coli. You are set.
:thumbsup:

Racer you're probably right on the 750 in hind sight. I spent some time playing with knobs & listening to recordings, they are very close. BUT, the C+ preamp does have that special feel that's so hard to find elsewhere. It's that last 5%.

I agree with this- the limit board on the Coli it rips at any volume! Kind of crazy.

I'm working on a vid where I play each of my amps at band practice so we can compare them in the mix. It's gonna be cool. :) Sloppy LOL, but cool!

Oh I'll admit it no problem- the IIC+ Coli is the best Mark tone I've ever heard. It is better than the IIB+ Coli- but only by a little bit, and you would be very hard pressed to know the difference if you weren't A/B-ing them.

I had my DRG IIC++ at the same time as my B+ Coli, and I sold the IIC++. The KRG power section is king.

So III KRG vs IIC+ HRG (or DRG...or IIC++...take your pick)? What is the real Mk series totem pole? Plz don't make me buy 6 of these things to find out. :D

I NEVER all caps AND LET ME TELL YOU HERE AND NOW...if you want a bitch that mows blows and goes NOTHING CAN SURPASS A Coliseum C++ with a Sextet of STR415...NOTHING MADE, no wizard/vht/engl/bogner/diezel/anything named after a butthole like that fat fuck friedman man blowing homo or anyone space cadet twinkleland fruitcake who peeked inside EVH's amp and did a high gain Jose rip, NOTHING :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Exo is right.

To the question though, I'd take any KRG or KG over any other Mark at this point so long as it's one with the 8-big-cap section underhood. Have Mike work it over as needed based on which one you have and you're done.

This is no lunchbox whisper lonely jams in your apartment amplifier...those queers can follow that craze. This is not that amp....it HAS to "breathe" to hear its POWER??????????

exo-metal":2xa81apb said:
I NEVER all caps AND LET ME TELL YOU HERE AND NOW...if you want a bitch that mows blows and goes NOTHING CAN SURPASS A Coliseum C++ with a Sextet of STR415...NOTHING MADE, no wizard/vht/engl/bogner/diezel/anything named after a butthole like that fat fuck friedman man blowing homo or anyone space cadet twinkleland fruitcake who peeked inside EVH's amp and did a high gain Jose rip, NOTHING :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Man, I always wondered why you didn't really talk much about your Coli. YOU HADN'T TURNED IT UP!!!! Lol. It is a sonic carnival ride. I turn mine up every few weeks when I'm alone at home...it's too much if others are home. It is a monster indeed. Killer low volume tones too...but to really see what it can do you have to get it to 2 or more. Then stand back. Yep, with 415s it is an unstoppable force.
C+ Coliseums are the Kings of the Mark series.

Racerxrated":3bc432tc said:
exo-metal":3bc432tc said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Man, I always wondered why you didn't really talk much about your Coli. YOU HADN'T TURNED IT UP!!!! Lol. It is a sonic carnival ride. I turn mine up every few weeks when I'm alone at home...it's too much if others are home. It is a monster indeed. Killer low volume tones too...but to really see what it can do you have to get it to 2 or more. Then stand back. Yep, with 415s it is an unstoppable force.
C+ Coliseums are the Kings of the Mark series.

I bought my No Stripe/dot MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head new back in '86. It's been a total work horse amp for me. I still own it and love it.

Relatively new member here, but long-time follower... if you‘d like to get your neighbors roused, just run a IIB Coli (K33X) and a C+ Coli (K36X) in stereo on at least 5. Birds fall out of the sky, and, the tectonic plates start to shift. Seems to happen often around here...:rawk:

A Coli C+ is worth $6K. They do sell for that or more. I've passed on Coli IIB and Coli III heads at $1,500.00, I did buy a nice hardwood and wicker combo IIB Coli for $1,000.00.

MESA/Boogie Mark 2B Coliseum by John Bazzano, on Flickr

I'm in the market, I'll pass on the IIB and III.

So, there it is, absolute proof, and with that, question answered, experiment complete - Yes, the Coli C+ is worth $4K more.

I NEVER all caps AND LET ME TELL YOU HERE AND NOW...if you want a bitch that mows blows and goes NOTHING CAN SURPASS A Coliseum C++ with a Sextet of STR415...NOTHING MADE, no wizard/vht/engl/bogner/diezel/anything

Almost anything :cool:

Nothing my friend, it does not exist. No power section is coupled to a high voltage EQ as part of the output section. The sextet, transformer and eq are unique to the Coliseum design. If u can name one amp that has all three in the power section design. I'm listening but I expect silence.

Last edited:
Nothing my friend, it does not exist. No power section is coupled to a high voltage EQ as part of the output section. The sextet, transformer and eq are unique to the Coliseum design. If u can name one amp that has all three in the power section design. I'm listening but I expect silence.

My 150w L*rry. Doesn't need graphic EQ to get brutal.

I'm sure that is a great amp but it lacks the refinement of the C+/++ preamp in bounce and feel the C+ is known for. Then again I could be wrong but I doubt it Gary, this amp is no slouch bro.

Back