Fortin Zuul and Metro loops = disaster

RedPlated

First off, I am not bashing either Fortin, or Metro loops, lets be clear about that. I love both products and they both work amazingly well for what they are intended to do. However, put the two together and it's a disappointing combination.

I've used the Zuul in many non-Metro loops and it is superb. Best gate I've used. Same with Metro loops. I have one added to my 80' JMP, they are also used in my production Friedmans and CCV's. Very quiet, transparent loops that sound great.

I tried using the Zuul in the loop of my Friedman one day and when engaging it pops super loud. No amount of waiting for the loop to warm up, clicking the pedal on and off to de-energize it, nothing makes it go away. Sounds horrible. After the Zuul is engaged and the pop has already occurred, the gate functions very strangely. Doesn't release correctly, cuts off notes etc... This is with the threshold knob all the way down and the switch on the side in the lowest threshold setting. I'm using a Truetone CS12 isolated power supply and good Mogami cable.

I've heard that others have the same result. It just seems to be an unfortunate mis-match of circuits, components, something...that's causing them to interact badly.

Has anyone else had this issue and has anyone been able to resolve it? For now I just run the Zuul in front. It actually works quite well in that spot.

I noticed the popping with mine too. It only seemed to be bad though if I hit the Zuul right after firing up the amp.

Weird. I did not have this problem with my 2015 JJ and Zuul when I had them... then again that had Dave's variant of the loop design, not the actual Metro and I was mostly just running the Zuul on without bringing it in and out so who knows. That was maybe 6 months after the Zuul came out so it may also only apply to certain revisions of the pedal.

Zuul pops in the loop of my SC20H too. Solution is putting a buffer (or buffered pedal) in front of the Zuul. Pop goes away. In my case not sure if the Marshall doesn't have a buffered loop or what, but it's not a great loop overall, as I also need a db boost in the loop to have it match the volume when the loop is off.

I havent had an issue. I've used mine with a Metro loop from metro themselves and the Friedman loop. I mainly just leave mine on though.

ClintN667":39nzdl2z said:
I havent had an issue. I've used mine with a Metro loop from metro themselves and the Friedman loop. I mainly just leave mine on though.

I think that's the case with amps with good buffered loops - no issues. It's only with amps that have crappy and/or unbuffered loops.

I tried a buffer before the Zuul and it didn't help.

My Zuul did have an issue when I first bought it new. It wouldn't open the gate at all. Fortin was great about repairing it quickly. However, I wonder if that had something to do with it. Wish I had a spare to A/B.

Back