neural dsp quad cortex

mooncobra

anyone know what this is? just heard guys talking about it, and they were really excited. is it like an axefx type thing?

I did a little research on it last week when it was announced. It sounds like they do software plugins, amp models, etc... and they’ve put it all in a hardware unit unit. They will be adding a ton more amps and effects. They state they use Artificial Intelligence as a completely new way to model an amp, so the angle is they do it differently than AxeFx and others. I was all ready to jump on it but it won’t be ready until September 2020.

The Neural DSP plugins are the bomb. In their what do you want from us next feed back type thing, I suggested it'd be great to be able to control the plug-ins remotely. This is obviously the next step for the company. I hope and I pray the quad cortex delivers. If it does we'll all see why. If not now, later. The company has a lot of integrity with the plug-ins they offer. This has the potential to be a game changer. Stay tuned.

This is the same company as Darkglass, who are making some of the most killer bass gear out there right now. Neural’s plug-ins are awesome for metal and cleans, but kind of lacking in the classic tones department. I’m waiting to see how the Quad Cortex does, but they are a promising company who are doing interesting things.

I've seen some videos on youtube from namm where people like Ola did a quick run down with desk monitors. The sound was OK. We should definitely wait a bit for something more professional. Funnily enough, the unit has not even had a single sound bite recorded or demo-ed and the first batch has already sold out. The second batch should be out in like... November :_)

The one thing I disliked about the unit already was poor button placement, to me the layout is too narrow and tight for live use.
Another thing to consider would be - it is a floor unit and I'd be super anxious about the touch screen getting damaged playing live in not nearly as perfect condition.

The good thing is, there's no USB and everything can be done via wireless. You log into your own account from say a rehearsal space that does not have a PC, so downloading your sounds while being onstage suddenly is quite an option.
This could be interesting for players who normally gig without any gear, just with a USB stick and say a rented kemper.

If you are curious about the sound quality of this unit, check out their plugins. I think they all have free demos, including the Fortin pack. That should give you some idea of what to expect.

Their plugins are fantastic, I fought with my current recording sound forever until I shelled out for the Fortin plugins and Darkglass bass plugin. I could get a perfect recorded sound right out of the gate with minimal fuss and post processing.

As a straight to PA solution, I think it will be great, but I prefer to run these things through a poweramp into a cab.

Back