What is an amp worth to you?

Let's see here.

I think what people feel or want to pay for an amp is their call. That and some people have money to burn and others don't. I don't have money to burn but I also have spent more on gear than my ability calls for. Some of that is the hobby factor and the fact that I had disposable income to cover it. I also freaking love amplifiers. Tube amplifiers. But most of my stuff was procured used or for cheap.

Blackheart 1 watt head: $99
Peavey Vypyr 60w combo: $315
Mesa Rectoverb head: $495
Splawn Quick Rod: $1,400
Fender MIM Strat: $450
Schecter C1+: $300

That said - IMO in my capacity I don't see myself buying a $3K or $4K amp. But then, I'm not chasing a 'gotta have it' tone, playing live, recording and album, collecting or being a gear flipping forum show off :D

Have fun. Enjoy life while you can...never know when your time is up. You're not gonna take that cash with you, so why not have fun with it? Buy that rare amp, guitar...buy that Corvette or whatever ride you've always wanted. Being frugal and smart with your money is a good thing..until the time comes for you to enjoy that hard earned cash. Then let loose.

We only have one life...enjoy it!
:rock:

Racerxrated":1tnrzmgx said:
Have fun. Enjoy life while you can...never know when your time is up. You're not gonna take that cash with you, so why not have fun with it? Buy that rare amp, guitar...buy that Corvette or whatever ride you've always wanted. Being frugal and smart with your money is a good thing..until the time comes for you to enjoy that hard earned cash. Then let loose.

Well said, agree 100%. Life’s dream was to have a studio and be able to record myself. Living the dream with my Mac, shit ton of software, too many guitars, amps and pedals. Build over the years of course, from home version of Cakewalk and beyond.

Racerxrated":3bvd5sgg said:

I agree, but at the same time, if the tone in your head is nailed by a 5153, or a jcm 800 or a dsl, or... then the money is already well spent. I've had a couple soldano SLO, and there are certain things I like about them, but overall they're not for me. Same with some friedmans. I've had 2 mkIIc+ and they're one of my all time favorite lead tones.. I prefer the versatility for playing live of the jp-2c, I have an xtc 101b, and a fortin cali mod 2203 with clean, separate gain channels and a ton of options and I will never give up either, but i play live with a dsl 50 more of the time because it fits what we are doing and its simple and sounds good. Buy what works for you and dont give a rat's ass about anyone else's opinion of it

exo-metal":27xrw05e said:
Let's hear your story how u bought a SLO100 for peanuts...

Me? I snagged a super nice ES-335 on eBay for $1000, probably around 2004. Eight years later I saw an ad on TGP, looking for exactly my guitar for an even trade for an SLO. I ended up paying shipping both ways and the other guy threw in a road case. So I was out a $1000 guitar and $200 cash total for a like new SLO. I think the other guy was Derek Trucks, though I dealt with a middle man.

At that time used SLOs grew on trees for $2500ish. My ES-335 was a super nice one, a dot, but with a killer red quilt, which I also stole. You don't make money when you sell, you make it when you buy. I only ever buy at a price I just cannot refuse. Most of my collection was acquired at prices I just could not pass up. I have $1100 into my super nice blue EBMM EVH, $1800 into my sunburst one and on and on. Gotta be a smart shopper.

I respectfully disagree Rick Lee. I personally have made money buying and selling but that is not my motivation in all this...because I play?

You only make money selling when you've bought at the right price. The one time I paid $750 for a DSL50, I was OVERFUCKINGJOYED to sell it for $750. I do plenty of flipping, but only on stuff I've bought for a song. Never taken a bath, but have broken even a few times. I kind of want to get back into a Silver Jubilee reissue. I made $300 on my last one, so I feel like I'd be dollar-cost averaging if I paid $1300 or more for my next one. Once the new ones from Sweetwater start showing up on the used market, I'll be on the prowl.

Now I agree with you and good luck. I hear those are fantastic, especially boosted. I noticed in your signature you listed a lemonburst. Man I have no pauls but have a serious thing for that finish. Can u please post a shot or two?!

standard.jpg

Krull":3db43hsd said:
Spaceboy":3db43hsd said:
I have never, and will never pay more than $1500 for an amplifier.

Sucks to be you. :LOL: :LOL:
Nah. I’m still lucky enough to spend a couple months of my year on the road, so I don’t overpay for something that’s going to be at risk. I’ve owned Friedman, Engls, Matchless, ‘70s JMPs, and plenty of other shit all acquired under $1500. I have no interest in blowing 4g on a SLO, Browneye, etc to leave it sitting at home. I rarely buy amps new, although I splurge a bit more when it comes to some guitars.

Racerxrated":2m4bg46m said:

This! I've lost friends and family that held out for a better future that never got to enjoy that better future. When your old as fck none of you possessions will be worth a damn anymore its all about eat, sleep, shit, rinse repeat... so yeah I decided only a few years ago to say fck it and truly enjoy the sound I get when I do play. I've always had shitty gear that sounded like ass but it never bothered me so much, but at the same time I ended up not playing as much either. Life is way too short :rock:

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get great tone. We've all seen local bands with cheap rigs that sounded great because they had their stuff dialed in and/or were great players. I know a local guy with a total beater Peavey tube head from 30+ years ago, but it sounds killer. I passed up a GK 250RL a few mos. ago for $150. I gigged with one all through college and it sounded fantastic. But if you like playing fancy gear, have at it.

Over the years I thought I had killer tone until I heard something new and unless you hear it you'll never know.

An amp could be worth tens of thousands maybe even millions to the right person. Look at Ronnie C. I believe one of his old posts said he was offered 5k for his Snorkler back in the 90's. He didn't even consider selling it because he knew that amp has made him close to a million if not millions plus many more dollars in years to come so why would he sell it for 5, 10 or even 25k?

For example I could sell my IIC+ long head or my Snorklerfor an easy 5k but compared to what I make in profiles and renting out to studio/artists I have made way more than that. Also factor in future Youtube revenue from clips and review of amps you're going to see a skyrocketing in prices of many rare amps in years to come.

Back