Noise Gates?

BrentSSL

So I've been using the same Decimator for years now it does what its suppose to and to be clear I'm talking specifically the first Decimator. My question is what new gate technology is there? Am I missing something because all I here about is the NS 2 and Decimators. Should I upgrade the Decimator I have? I want to run some things in my FX loop I'm thinking of buying a used Decimator instead of using the dual one.

I find the original Decimator's gating/decay more natural than new versions. I've tried both the Decimator II and Deci-mate (mini pedal).

I love the X pattern on the NS2 but I get a bit of tone suck with it. Tried it on 3 different amps and it happened on all 3. Still feel like I have to be doing something wrong because others say that it is not an issue for them.

Do you guys think it's Overkill to get a second decimator just to run in my effects loop? All I'm going to be is a delay indecorous possibly a flange down the road. I'm using a parallel effects loop from a Mesa rectoverb.

BrentSSL":1bv64erw said:
Do you guys think it's Overkill to get a second decimator just to run in my effects loop? All I'm going to be is a delay indecorous possibly a flange down the road. I'm using a parallel effects loop from a Mesa rectoverb.

not the same but on my helix i run a gate out front and after the amp. when you have two gates you can really dial the threshold as low as possible which helps a lot.

sleewell2":10u6d65v said:
BrentSSL":10u6d65v said:

not the same but on my helix i run a gate out front and after the amp. when you have two gates you can really dial the threshold as low as possible which helps a lot.

Good to know I'm going to try that I just hope my parallel loop doesn't affect it too much

Does the parallel loop have a mix knob that actually will just give you 100% of the effects loop signal and none of the direct signal? If so you’ll be good to go, if not then you’ll still get some of that non-gated noise from the signal that doesn’t go through the loop

i have a personal liking to the pigtronix gatekeeper, you have to adjust with any volume change generally, but it's mad dope ya'll!!

i like it and you can get them cheap sometimes, only other option i go towards is the g rack

Had an NS2 10 yrs ago, altered the tone too much. Have San original Decimator and works much better. Haven’t tried a Zuul. But haven’t felt a need to.

I like to he ZUUL. With the mini JCM800 I just run it in front as the preamp isn’t overly noisy in these amps. Zero issues. Works amazingly well. Reacts quickly but still allows notes to sustain.

Since I hear more and more it’s based on the gate in the KK sig JCM800 I’d really like to try one of these KK amps. They don’t go cheap and aren’t exactly rare but not common either.

the4thlast1":2yki3ktp said:
You guys prefer the 1st version decimator over the 2nd ?
I haven't tried the 2nd. But my first run is much better than the NS2 I had way back, the Boss had some obvious tone suck. I don't notice any tonal difference with my older Decimator.

Back