-- Returning a guitar on ebay , insight needed on disputes-

the4thlast1

This is a first time for me that I am requesting a return from a seller on ebay . It is a used guitar but showed up not as described. I took photos and sent them to show the issues , etc.

The seller responded to my message and said he thinks I just dont like the guitar and to go through ebay , he doesnt accept returns and it said that in the listing he says.

I just want to ask you guys who may have gone through a return where the seller was trying to not accept it. What should I expect moving forward.

One thing that crossed my mind was that at some point ebay will probably tell me to ship the guitar back to him and then I will be issued a refund after I show proof the seller got the guitar back via a tracking #. Should I ship the guitar with no signature required ? If I ship with signature required the guy could refuse the package.

Any info or suggestions are welcome thanks guys !

What is differing on the guitar than the description?

I think the way you approach the issue is paramount on how eBay handles it with the seller l. IE what the problem is and showing that it isn't just buyers remorse

swamptrashstompboxes":1ndyvl37 said:
What is differing on the guitar than the description?

I think the way you approach the issue is paramount on how eBay handles it with the seller l. IE what the problem is and showing that it isn't just buyers remorse

The main issue is that there is a large noticeable area on the top of the guitar where the satin finish faded and changed color, most likely from picking hard in that area. The seller said the guitar only had "very light pick scratches" The pictures he posted do not show the cosmetic issues. They were taken at an angle that could hide it .

On top of that he also copied and pasted pictures that the original owner had used when he sold the guitar to him. He did not take his own pictures. So that cosmetic issue might not have been there at that time when the pictures were taken.

There are also several divots in frets from heavy use that Im not happy about. Which was not shown or mentioned. Its possible with a level and polish they may came out from sanding down but I would have to bring it to my tech to ask his opinion.

I had even messaged the seller on ebay before buying and he said the guitar has no issues, only very light pick scratches he said.

File a claim with ebay/paypal. Provide photos from the ad and the stuff you see. They typically side with buyers I believe so at least you have that going for you.

The seller can post "no returns" all they want, if the item is not as described they will lose most of the time...

If ebay says I can ship it back to get a refund , you guys think I should do signature or no signature required.

Yeah because if I ship with signature required he could refuse the package . If I ship without it will definitely get there but I guess he could then say it never showed up.

seller can refuse it without a signature too. Get a sig, otherwise if shipper loses it you might be in trouble. Ebay will ask for a tracking number, you can show them the receipient refused delivery but you did your part.

does Ebay make, or have, a recommendation on shipping? sig vs. no-sig?

i'd use their guidelines as much as possible... at the end of the day...the dude is not going to refund willingly. Ebay/PP will have to take the money from him and put it back in your acct....at least that's been my experience.

My horror story: bought a used Schecter... very convenient photography was used, had holes on the 12-dots where too-long screws were used...guitar actually had a non-OEM neck, wouldn't intonate...hot-mess! returned it, dude wiped his ebay acct :LOL: :LOL: ... i mean GONE. Ebay nailed his ass though... took a couple of weeks altogether, but got my $$ back.

I bought an '83 Kramer Pacer on eBay that showed up in much worse condition than advertised. But I really wanted to keep it, and the buyer was a good guy. So we split the cost of the refret and other repairs. Guitar was then like new and I was out another $100. But it's a very sweet guitar now.

the4thlast1":13ajdl1k said:
If ebay says I can ship it back to get a refund , you guys think I should do signature or no signature required.
With signature required by the seller. Don't let them talk you into "any adult signature" or variations from the original seller. There have been horror stories about "alternate signatures" galore with returns. Don't be one of them. Good luck!

Jim

Open the dispute through ebay. They'll lead you through the return process. I just had to do this on a PCM-80 I purchased off ebay: seller stated it was used - perfectly functional but with wear. It not only had wear, but the screen doesn't work, so it's worthless without repair. I went through ebay and got a return label from them. I've shipped it back, and am waiting on the refund now.

Yes what Jim said, absolutely get signature. You could get double screwed otherwise (basically he could get guitar back and you get no refund).

I just gotta say these threads really bum me out. We've been seeing more and more cases of BS listings showing up not as described with all kinds of problems. Sellers taking photos that strategically hide issues. Sellers straight up lying about condition. I mean, I don't have that much faith in humanity but this is just pathetic.

I always list conditions below reality (ie if a guitar is in excellent condition, I'll say very good condition). Buyers love getting things "better than described" and it also protects me if their eyes "see" something I don't. Sure maybe my sale amount suffers a bit, but seriously if this shit becomes the norm then people will stop using sites like Reverb and Ebay for selling gear and then we all suffer. OP - you'll be fine if you just follow the steps Ebay provides, and yes require signature!

You can get things rolling by going ahead and sending it back. Insured for the full amount with adult signature. You can then request a refund through paypal for the cost of the return shipping. eBay is going to tell you to return it; if you haven't already.

Man, you'll be fine. Just proving he didn't provide current pics will be a huge problem for him.

I'd say you've got him by the nads.

You can't always protect yourself. There was some scammer out in the San Fernando Valley a few years back, the guy had four names (should have known better just from that). He buys an M75 65w, I ship it to him. For three days it's great, awesome speaker, thanks Jim!

Then he tells me he's got a problem and sending it back for inspection.

The speaker he sends back has a dent in the cone in two places, and it's all scratched up. Something isn't right, it looks well used. I checked the date code on the label, then the hidden date code on the speaker. They were 21 months apart. I don't build speakers 21 months in advance, maybe 3-4 weeks at the most.

Turns out this POS had taken his new label, put it on a used Scumback M75, sent it to me under warranty to be rebuilt for free...until I told him about the hidden date code and that he lied. He denied it all of course.

PayPal dispute immediately filed by the buyer within minutes. I stuck to my guns, PayPal sided with me, and I found out through Fedex Ground that this guy had filed with them separately and he had six Fedex Ground damage complaints in the last four weeks, all for shipping damage to loudspeakers. They started an investigation on him after they heard from me.

So, just because you deal with someone directly, doesn't mean they weren't out to scam you from the beginning, like this POS in the SF Valley.

You just have to take precautions and have backup because you never know who you're dealing with.

I am going through this now.
I have a thread also.
I did not want to have a dispute.
Best of luck with your endeavors!

Back