FORTIN's Evil Pumpkin – Made in China?

novosibir

Preface:

Presumably many of you already have noticed some kind of a battle between me and (among others, presumably devotees of the Fortin army) Fortin's P&R officer engage757 in the meanwhile locked topics:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208860

and

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209113

On this I still hereby inform you, that I've meanwhile placed the users 'engage757' and 'Krull' onto my ignore list, hence I can't see, if they'd comment in this topic, what certainly will happen, since in the topics I've linked above both already have massively tried to muzzle me, simply to disguise and to deviate of the meanwhile very questionable business practices of Fortin amps.

They've been badmouthing about me, have insinuated that I've ripped Steve K (RIP), who's ordered an amp what still isn't finished and I simply didn't realize it, that meanwhile he's died, because meanwhile I'm still only seldom hanging around in amp forums an nobody has informed me about this.

Because by amp orders I basically take a down payment, so also Steve has payed his down payment. Though due to he's unfortunately passed away it's by any means out of question, that I sort this out and I'm already in touch with his widow.

So be aware, that the badmouthing with lies and imputations in my direction will start also here, as soon as both notice this topic. But I definitely won't waste my time and energy anymore for defending myself against idiots.

Albert Einstein once said: "Don't discuss with idiots, because they then pull you down on their level, where they beat you with their shabby weapons."

Concern:

Disquieted and reflexive due to the fact, that already back in 2015 I've figured out, that the "Fortin designed" (lol) Randall Satan actually has been a 100% rip-off of my DINO 939 amp, which Mike got from me in Jul of 2007 at a time, where he still has concealed, that he's already modding amps and that he's intending to found his own amp company (btw in Mar of 2008 he still got his ordered Larry British Purist) I think it's time now, to caution you against a possibly mistake you might make by knowing not better and also to give you some insight into his thinking and acting.

Yes, Mike got in touch with me with an amp inquiry already back in 2005 and has introduced himself plainly as an enthusiastic guitar player and a frenetic gear head, nothing else. He's sent me lots of photos, where he showed his guitars and amps, which he already has had and which he still owns.

Astonishing has appeared to me, that he's always had lots of very special technically questions, but I've answered it all to him extensively and thought by myself, that he presumably is one of those few guitar players, which also are very much interested into the technique of their gear.

So we've had altogether 344 emails back and forth until the day, as a friend of mine has turned my attention to his web page "fortinamps.com" what has been on March 30th 2009 and just a few months after he's founded his amp company.

Ok back to the Randall Satan first, then after some words about the NATAS further to the ~new~ Evil Pumpkin:

After I got a Randall Satan on my bench in Feb of 2015 and because I've already long before supposed, that he at least has partially copied my amp circuits I've completely disassembled and analyzed this amp, what has taken almost 2 days including drawing the schematic of the amp…

… and I've literally been shocked after this. No, he not only has copied my DINO partially, but the circuit of the Satan has been a 100% rip-off of my DINO circuit, just stripped down omitting the DINO's British channel and economizing the SRV mode of the California channel.

He's still extended the tone control of the dirty channel by a Sweep control, has added a Send level control to the FX loop and added an 'active input', what's together with the 'passive input' similar to the 'High' & 'Low' inputs of old Marshalls – and he's already been done w/o using his own brain for designing the circuit.

Just the mentioned things of the paragraph above has been Mike's brain work on the Satan's circuit, while he's adopted the entire circuit perkily of the DINO, this w/o any permission and even w/o telling me about it. Contrariwise as I've confronted him already back in 2009 in another topic with my assumption, he barefaced has disclaimed this.

Ok so far so bad, but at this point I still didn't know, whether the circuit of his NATAS is quite the same as in the Satan, though I've assumed it and hence I've tried to get one on my bench. Exactly 3 years later I've had the luck to finally get a NATAS on my bench and after my analysis I've realized, that my assumption has been right.

Though on the NATAS' circuit are found higher quality components, to the board PTP wired high quality pots aso, the circuit is quite the same as inside the Satan, with just one input jack, the Sweep control has been omitted as well as the SRV mode of the DINO's California channel and the amp does have a to the DINO different FX loop section.

To finally come to the point, mentioned in the header of this topic:

The videos of NAMM have turned my attention to MF's new creation Evil Pumpkin and its low price compared with the NATAS' price has made me thoughtful, hence I've been looking some closer to the EP's photos on the Fortin web page and on other places.

First what I've seen is, that on the amp's front the input jack isn't in line with the pots (controls) what reveals, that the pots are placed on the PCB like in the Satan and not PTP wired like in the NATAS (if you like to hear a deeper explanation, then let me know).

Next what I've seen is, that the transformer's end bells definitely aren't made in the U.K. although the amp is claimed being made in the U.K. Hence you can assume, that also the transformers aren't made in the U.K.

To make it clear, there's only one company in the U.K. making transformer end bells and this one & only company is supplying all transformer manufacturers in entire Europe. Ok there's still another company in France, which are making end bells, but theirs desing in way different to those of the U.K. located company.

So spin the yarn further – the end bells aren't made in the U.K. so presumably also the transformers aren't made in the U.K. – then it's obvious, that the production has been economized as before with the Satan with the pots sitting directly onto the PCB, what as well is seen on the rear panel of the amp, where the jacks aso aren't arranged on a center line, but deeper what shows, that also all these components economically are soldered onto a PCB

Finally it doesn't say "Made in Canada" or "Made in the USA" but "Made in U.K."

Sure, "Made in U.K." might signify, that the entire amp is built there – but there's still another way, to simulate "Made in U.K." or even "Handmade in U.K.":

Everybody with some knowledge and experience in industry, economics and laws knows up front, how this works.

Have a PCB made in China, completely assembled, already with all cables and quick connectors on it.
Have a amp chassis made in China with already mounted transformers, tube sockets, pots, jacks, switches & panels.
Finally have a head shell made in China, already with vinyl coated, handle, amp feet as well as front & rear grill already mounted.
Have these 3 pre assembled units shipped to the U.K. (low Customs, because these units still aren't sales products) and...
... simply have a company in the U.K. who quickly put it together "by hand". Push in tubes, adjust bias, check voltages and maybe have a quick test drive.

The result is a working guitar tube amp "Handmade in the U.K."

I assume, that the Evil Pumpkin is nothing else than a slightly revised Satan with omitted Clean boost mode and a 2nd dirty mode, presumably a José-ish design and then economical produced in China? My congrats!

I'm just loud thinking here on this place, nothing else, since I don't have any proof!

Afterword:

So use your brain by ordering an Evil Pumpkin and please don't tell me later, that I haven't told you about my assumption before, concerning this amp.

Interesting also and what makes me thinkful ist the fact, that about all the Fortin amp models which have been built from Mike himself in Canada before and which are the Bones, the Meathead and the NATAS now on the Fortin web page it says:

"currently not available"

I don't know, whether you already know, that the Meshugga and the Cali anyway never have been built by Mike himself in Canada, but have been and still are being ghost built of other people's hands in the USA as well as his speaker cabinets.

The Evil Pumpkin and the SIGIL are claimed being made in the U.K. – so it seems that the undisputed master of plagiarism already doesn't have enough time left over anymore, to build his rip-offs currently by himself, using his own hands?

What might be the reason? Maybe meanwhile he's dedicating all his time for dealing with his chinese partners and the companies over there?

Have a nice Sunday, wherever you are in this world!

Cheers
Larry

I'd wait the Ceriatone Devil Unkind to come out :LOL: :LOL: so i know for sure is made in asia, have a reasonable price and deliver before i get too old for play guitar :D

Luca79":14h4bfg3 said:
I'd wait the Ceriatone Devil Unkind to come out :LOL: :LOL: so i know for sure is made in asia, have a reasonable price and deliver before i get too old for play guitar :D

Yeah its disappointing if this is really the way the Evil Pumpkin will be made. Mostly built in China and then pieced together in UK. Im not saying I know the truth on this but if Larry is correct then that information should be made known to the public.

novosibir":25c8fpsf said:
Preface:

Presumably many of you already have noticed some kind of a battle between me and (among others, presumably devotees of the Fortin army) Fortin's P&R officer engage757 in the meanwhile locked topics:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208860

and

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209113

On this I still hereby inform you, that I've meanwhile placed the users 'engage757' and 'Krull' onto my ignore list, hence I can't see, if they'd comment in this topic, what certainly will happen, since in the topics I've linked above both already have massively tried to muzzle me, simply to disguise and to deviate of the meanwhile very questionable business practices of Fortin amps.

They've been badmouthing about me, have insinuated that I've ripped Steve K (RIP), who's ordered an amp what still isn't finished and I simply didn't realize it, that meanwhile he's died, because meanwhile I'm still only seldom hanging around in amp forums an nobody has informed me about this.

Because by amp orders I basically take a down payment, so also Steve has payed his down payment. Though due to he's unfortunately passed away it's by any means out of question, that I sort this out and I'm already in touch with his widow.

So be aware, that the badmouthing with lies and imputations in my direction will start also here, as soon as both notice this topic. But I definitely won't waste my time and energy anymore for defending myself against idiots.

Albert Einstein once said: "Don't discuss with idiots, because they then pull you down on their level, where they beat you with their shabby weapons."

Concern:

Disquieted and reflexive due to the fact, that already back in 2015 I've figured out, that the "Fortin designed" (lol) Randall Satan actually has been a 100% rip-off of my DINO 939 amp, which Mike got from me in Jul of 2007 at a time, where he still has concealed, that he's already modding amps and that he's intending to found his own amp company (btw in Mar of 2008 he still got his ordered Larry British Purist) I think it's time now, to caution you against a possibly mistake you might make by knowing not better and also to give you some insight into his thinking and acting.

Yes, Mike got in touch with me with an amp inquiry already back in 2005 and has introduced himself plainly as an enthusiastic guitar player and a frenetic gear head, nothing else. He's sent me lots of photos, where he showed his guitars and amps, which he already has had and which he still owns.

Astonishing has appeared to me, that he's always had lots of very special technically questions, but I've answered it all to him extensively and thought by myself, that he presumably is one of those few guitar players, which also are very much interested into the technique of their gear.

So we've had altogether 344 emails back and forth until the day, as a friend of mine has turned my attention to his web page "fortinamps.com" what has been on March 30th 2009 and just a few months after he's founded his amp company.

Ok back to the Randall Satan first, then after some words about the NATAS further to the ~new~ Evil Pumpkin:

After I got a Randall Satan on my bench in Feb of 2015 and because I've already long before supposed, that he at least has partially copied my amp circuits I've completely disassembled and analyzed this amp, what has taken almost 2 days including drawing the schematic of the amp…

… and I've literally been shocked after this. No, he not only has copied my DINO partially, but the circuit of the Satan has been a 100% rip-off of my DINO circuit, just stripped down omitting the DINO's British channel and economizing the SRV mode of the California channel.

He's still extended the tone control of the dirty channel by a Sweep control, has added a Send level control to the FX loop and added an 'active input', what's together with the 'passive input' similar to the 'High' & 'Low' inputs of old Marshalls – and he's already been done w/o using his own brain for designing the circuit.

Just the mentioned things of the paragraph above has been Mike's brain work on the Satan's circuit, while he's adopted the entire circuit perkily of the DINO, this w/o any permission and even w/o telling me about it. Contrariwise as I've confronted him already back in 2009 in another topic with my assumption, he barefaced has disclaimed this.

Ok so far so bad, but at this point I still didn't know, whether the circuit of his NATAS is quite the same as in the Satan, though I've assumed it and hence I've tried to get one on my bench. Exactly 3 years later I've had the luck to finally get a NATAS on my bench and after my analysis I've realized, that my assumption has been right.

Though on the NATAS' circuit are found higher quality components, to the board PTP wired high quality pots aso, the circuit is quite the same as inside the Satan, with just one input jack, the Sweep control has been omitted as well as the SRV mode of the DINO's California channel and the amp does have a to the DINO different FX loop section.

To finally come to the point, mentioned in the header of this topic:

The videos of NAMM have turned my attention to MF's new creation Evil Pumpkin and its low price compared with the NATAS' price has made me thoughtful, hence I've been looking some closer to the EP's photos on the Fortin web page and on other places.

First what I've seen is, that on the amp's front the input jack isn't in line with the pots (controls) what reveals, that the pots are placed on the PCB like in the Satan and not PTP wired like in the NATAS (if you like to hear a deeper explanation, then let me know).

Next what I've seen is, that the transformer's end bells definitely aren't made in the U.K. although the amp is claimed being made in the U.K. Hence you can assume, that also the transformers aren't made in the U.K.

To make it clear, there's only one company in the U.K. making transformer end bells and this one & only company is supplying all transformer manufacturers in entire Europe. Ok there's still another company in France, which are making end bells, but theirs desing in way different to those of the U.K. located company.

So spin the yarn further – the end bells aren't made in the U.K. so presumably also the transformers aren't made in the U.K. – then it's obvious, that the production has been economized as before with the Satan with the pots sitting directly onto the PCB, what as well is seen on the rear panel of the amp, where the jacks aso aren't arranged on a center line, but deeper what shows, that also all these components economically are soldered onto a PCB

Finally it doesn't say "Made in Canada" or "Made in the USA" but "Made in U.K."

Sure, "Made in U.K." might signify, that the entire amp is built there – but there's still another way, to simulate "Made in U.K." or even "Handmade in U.K.":

Everybody with some knowledge and experience in industry, economics and laws knows up front, how this works.

Have a PCB made in China, completely assembled, already with all cables and quick connectors on it.
Have a amp chassis made in China with already mounted transformers, tube sockets, pots, jacks, switches & panels.
Finally have a head shell made in China, already with vinyl coated, handle, amp feet as well as front & rear grill already mounted.
Have these 3 pre assembled units shipped to the U.K. (low Customs, because these units still aren't sales products) and...
... simply have a company in the U.K. who quickly put it together "by hand". Push in tubes, adjust bias, check voltages and maybe have a quick test drive.

The result is a working guitar tube amp "Handmade in the U.K."

I assume, that the Evil Pumpkin is nothing else than a slightly revised Satan with omitted Clean boost mode and a 2nd dirty mode, presumably a José-ish design and then economical produced in China? My congrats!

I'm just loud thinking here on this place, nothing else, since I don't have any proof!

Afterword:

So use your brain by ordering an Evil Pumpkin and please don't tell me later, that I haven't told you about my assumption before, concerning this amp.

Interesting also and what makes me thinkful ist the fact, that about all the Fortin amp models which have been built from Mike himself in Canada before and which are the Bones, the Meathead and the NATAS now on the Fortin web page it says:

"currently not available"

I don't know, whether you already know, that the Meshugga and the Cali anyway never have been built by Mike himself in Canada, but have been and still are being ghost built of other people's hands in the USA as well as his speaker cabinets.

The Evil Pumpkin and the SIGIL are claimed being made in the U.K. – so it seems that the undisputed master of plagiarism already doesn't have enough time left over anymore, to build his rip-offs currently by himself, using his own hands?

What might be the reason? Maybe meanwhile he's dedicating all his time for dealing with his chinese partners and the companies over there?

Have a nice Sunday, wherever you are in this world!

Cheers
Larry

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

You go Larry!!! :thumbsup:

PS: I'm trade marking the Rotten Pumpkin™ ® © name right now. ;)

Oh for fuck sake!

I knew there’d be another thread as soon soon as the others were locked.

There are laws against saying “Made In” vs “Assembled In” aren’t there? That won’t be a hard one to sort out. Look at Peavey and the Invective.

There was a bit of controversy over those Peavey Invective amps also as Misha Mansoor and some of the guys that work at peavey were saying the amp would be made in the USA and then it turned out to be only assembled in the USA ( From what I remember ). It seemed that even Misha was mislead about that by Peavey. Regardless thats just an example of a situation where the consumer got a smoke and mirror explanation of the truth ahead of time before the amps showed up at retailers. Many guys preordered those Peavey amps and when they received it were disappointed to see the sticker on the back saying "Assembled in the USA" when they were told online in videos it would be Built in the USA.

This could be a similar situation with the Pumpkins , maybe more light will be shed on it here ( Flame suit on lol ) :D

the4thlast1":1u6ktdbd said:
There was a bit of controversy over those Peavey Invective amps also as Misha Mansoor and some of the guys that work at peavey were saying the amp would be made in the USA and then it turned out to be only assembled in the USA ( From what I remember ). It seemed that even Misha was mislead about that by Peavey. Regardless thats just an example of a situation where the consumer got a smoke and mirror explanation of the truth ahead of time before the amps showed up at retailers. Many guys preordered those Peavey amps and when they received it were disappointed to see the sticker on the back saying "Assembled in the USA" when they were told online in videos it would be Built in the USA.

This could be a similar situation with the Pumpkins , maybe more light will be shed on it here ( Flame suit on lol ) :D
Well that’s my point. They said “Assembled”. I remember that pissing folks of. I’d think Mike would have to follow the same guidelines in labeling vs Made in. It would have to say “Designed in XX - Assembled In XX”, no?

Also I think Larry May be trolling my vids... :)

6eCJ5D6l.png

SXG8O3Jl.png

I have no dog in this fight and honestly didn't read all that, but wow that's a lot of something to say.

I would think that if Fortin ripped you off, the best way at this point to get one over him would be to buckle down and churn out some of your own amps so that we can see and hear them and know that if we place an order for the "real deal," we'll get it in a timely fashion.

Even if the Fortin is made in China, if it's the only thing people can really get their hands on, all this bashing isn't going to redirect potential Fortin buyers to your door.

cardinal":1x9ccrfl said:
Even if the Fortin is made in China, if it's the only thing people can really get their hands on, all this bashing isn't going to redirect potential Fortin buyers to your door.
No this isn't definitely my intention or my interest, because my waiting list meanwhile is so long, that the waiting time for new orders now exceed the 24 months line.

It's a different thing - he stole my life-work, wherein I've invested about 500 hours R&D during the 90' w/o being payed from elsewhere for this.

Maybe you can imagine, that discovering this is a feeling similarly, as I'd hear, that some guy has raped my own daughter.

And as I've already said in another topic - he better should care about, that he'd never cross my way in real life.
Because in the moment, when nobody is around anymore maybe I'd be not able anymore to ignore him ;)

cardinal":3arwwfiz said:
I have no dog in this fight and honestly didn't read all that, but wow that's a lot of something to say.

I would think that if Fortin ripped you off, the best way at this point to get one over him would be to buckle down and churn out some of your own amps so that we can see and hear them and know that if we place an order for the "real deal," we'll get it in a timely fashion.

I don’t think Larry is trying to get anyone swayed to buying HIS amp. He’s looking to dissuade Fortin sales. The average amp buyer isn’t buying Larry amps. It’s a whole different price range and very aspirational. As is Fortin, Friedman, Diezel.

Most jumping on the Larry train aren’t buying either his or Fortins amps.

To be fair, I have wanted to try Larry stuff for years. I know reza has one coming that I can drive out and try once he gets it. Hoping to hear the “magic” in person.

I’ll bow out now. No skin in this argument.

DeathbyButterslax":2t0mmf3d said:
JerEvil":2t0mmf3d said:
Oh for fuck sake!

I knew there’d be another thread as soon soon as the others were locked.

There are laws against saying “Made In” vs “Assembled In” aren’t there? That won’t be a hard one to sort out. Look at Peavey and the Invective.

https://makeitbritish.co.uk/made-in-britain-label-4/

Just have to have the last substantial change to the product to be considered Made in Britain
I’ll PM you...

boyedav":2t0mmf3d said:
I honestly don't care where amps are made. I care about how they sound, how well they're built, and whether the value is there for the amount I paid. Fortin is smart enough to know what he's legally required to disclose about the origins of the amp, and he's going to have buyers for whatever he builds.
Pretty much this.

boyedav":29bk6xpv said:
I honestly don't care where amps are made. I care about how they sound, how well they're built, and whether the value is there for the amount I paid. Fortin is smart enough to know what he's legally required to disclose about the origins of the amp, and he's going to have buyers for whatever he builds.

So you are saying you would have no problem paying 3K for a chinese amp?

the4thlast1":3t807hm6 said:

It is basically impossible to legally sell anything electronic labeled as Made in USA thanks to California laws. California requires a very high percentage of components that go into a product to be made in USA for the badge, and since most components (capacitors, resistors, etc etc) are no longer made in the USA the product can't be labeled made in USA. That California law is why pretty much everything says Assembled in USA or Crafted in USA etc etc etc now. Guitars have gone that route too since the timber has to be harvested in the US to qualify for the label in CA.

As far as the rest of this I am not a Fortin fanboy by any means, but this is just blatant speculation...

GregM":dp7jr27t said:
I still can't get past the fact that Dan said he doesn't love us anymore. :cry:
Hey!!! Having to want sex.... and love is 2 different things!!
I’m letting this thread roll .....
Don’t kill one another folks!!! :rock: :LOL: :LOL:

Back