Can't leave the house, might as well build a new rack

This is inspiring. I picked up a Quad preamp this last fall, and a 2:90 over the winter. I picked up a couple of those old vertical Mesa 2x12's locally, one with some sort of Eminence speakers and the other unloaded. I'm awaiting a speaker in the mail today to complete my set to load those cabs up.

My Quad came pretty cheap because it didn't have the foot controller. I'm use a Voodoo Labs GCX to do remote switching of it. Hopefully, I'll get a little time to put the thing together during all of this. Right now, I'm far busier than normal but sometime I'll have some time!

Markedman":1b8txjhp said:
Getting there!

Yes, those cabinets on the bottom are Thieles, one EV, one C90. I have another EV but the C90 actually sounds good mixed with an EV on top. The Mark IV has an EV. The red cabinet on top has a Fillmore 75 that is my favorite speaker and blends well with the EV Thiele. I will be using that combination for clips.

The gang’s all here‼️ by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Killer tower or power! Well done!!!!!

From one Mesa fan to another....thx for posting that!

:rock:

So I opened the pre amp and it had the original tubes in it. I replaced all the tubes and tried it out. It sounded pretty much the same. I noticed it has two reverb tanks so I tried turning the reverb up and the knob acted like a presence knob. I unhooked the second tank so I could turn the reverb knob up without the reverb sound and it was like taking the pillows off the front of the speaker cabinet! It still sounds fizzy and compressed but nowhere near as bad as it did. I tried the fx send as the output and it was no different either. That is how my Studio pre amp came alive, using the fx send killed the compression and opened the tone up. I will contact Mike @ MB to see what he says about modding the fizz and compression out, but overall, this quad is like new with no rack rash or scratchy pots. If I can get it to actually sound like a C+ and Mark III coli, wow, fucking wow!

This thread makes me happy. Also sad that I foolishly sold my Quad many years ago.

Keep rockin!

Ok man this is crazy, I just got a new Mesa Preamp too haha! Something in the water? Got a Mesa Studio Preamp for those super cleans that will finish my long time plan for my setup since I sold my PT100(missed those cleans) a few years back....the last 2 rack spaces in my rack will be full and it will be FINISHED ha. Will repair my Roland RSP-550 by putting in a new battery(soldered on type)....I'd like to put in a battery clip but I cannot find ANY info on the RSP-550 battery/service manual about what battery it needs. Still looking. I'm OCD about wiring and like to wire it up neat Racksystems/LA Sound Design style so have to do it all at once. Waiting on new tubes and reverb tank to arrive for the Studio Pre from Mesa as well.

24685623277_e4685ba296_b.jpg

Geezus guys... the last thing I need is rack gas... but this thread is making search Reverb and eBay already lol.... Btw nice rack Billy ;)

guitarbilly74":oqef8e5m said:
Thanks man. I had this rack case sitting here empty for years here and tried to sell it a few times with no success at all. So I finally decided to grab a few components and populate the rack. Turned out great :)

No problem, you did a great job....very clean! It's a nice rack case and those style racks are pretty expensive. Looks like you have some room to grow in there as well. What pedal/foot controller is that up there? Look forward to the clips Billy!

errrrrl":dd699hfr said:
Geezus guys... the last thing I need is rack gas... but this thread is making search Reverb and eBay already lol.... Btw nice rack Billy ;)

The rack bug will getcha for sure lol, good luck!! :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup: Racks are so much fun to build, and when you get the right pieces the patch making/sound sculpting is where the magic is! Never left the rack, never will! :rock:

I've had the opposite happen for me.I had 3 quads, and 2 triaxis's.Also ran them all thru a mesa 2 90 2,and 295,and a strategy 500.The 500 just killed the others for punch,tightness,3-d feel,organic feel...and the quads every time had that real amp tube feel,and my most recent quad- (under serial #100) just kills it for the mkiic+ in ch 1 and mkiii in ch 2.and I have a 1984 mkiic+ to compare it to. Having said all that ,I really " want" to like the tri..
To me,it seems more compressed and flat...but I do want to bond with it.i dont wanna give up on it...ymmv

How much does it cost to send a Quad in for service? I have an early dual reverb pan model that could use a going over.

I have my RMA #, I'm just waiting to talk to Mike about re-voicing the Quad. WTF is with having an amp that needs a GEQ? I want this thing to rip ass with the GEQ off!!! Fuck having an amp that has "pillows over the speakers" type tone. Just having Mike's hands and ears touching it is a good thing IMO.

Markedman":18xvmk81 said:
I have my RMA #, I'm just waiting to talk to Mike about re-voicing the Quad. WTF is with having an amp that needs a GEQ? I want this thing to rip ass with the GEQ off!!! Fuck having an amp that has "pillows over the speakers" type tone. Just having Mike's hands and ears touching it is a good thing IMO.

going to be a while for this one, Mesa factory is closed, no?

PBGas":3t30p0zq said:
Markedman":3t30p0zq said:

Fuck no, Mesa's going strong. I was told by Rich it would take 2-3 weeks for the service part, Mike hasn't gotten back to me yet about re-voicing the Quad, but it's on it's way!

Markedman":3rz5ueca said:
PBGas":3rz5ueca said:
Markedman":3rz5ueca said:

Fuck no, Mesa's going strong. I was told by Rich it would take 2-3 weeks for the service part, Mike hasn't gotten back to me yet about re-voicing the Quad, but it's on it's way!

You probably haven’t heard from him because:
https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/e...653-Temporary-Status-during-COVID-19-concerns

I know because I had to place a custom order for some different grills and was told they are closed until further notice. It looks like April 7 they will re-open...but who knows. As much as we all want stuff, this is something that we all have to be patient with as well.

Stay safe!

:rock:

I can wait, no gigs until whenever anyway. (I'm trying to bond with the TriAxis, it's not going well.)

Back