Can't leave the house, might as well build a new rack

guitarbilly74

bJmGgqEh.jpg

Peavey Classic 120 Tube Power Amp
ENGL E530
TC G-Major 2
Palmer PDI 03
Mesa Sus4 9u rack

Thanks man. I had this rack case sitting here empty for years here and tried to sell it a few times with no success at all. So I finally decided to grab a few components and populate the rack. Turned out great :)

I have always wanted a e530. Almost bought one cheap years ago but it sold from under me when I was on the two hour trip to the guys house (fucking jackass). I was going to put it into the power amp of the Nitro for the hell of it.

Nice to see a return of a rack!

I use to have a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp with 6L6's. Great power amp. I'd like to find another one someday.

Ed

Getting there!

Yes, those cabinets on the bottom are Thieles, one EV, one C90. I have another EV but the C90 actually sounds good mixed with an EV on top. The Mark IV has an EV. The red cabinet on top has a Fillmore 75 that is my favorite speaker and blends well with the EV Thiele. I will be using that combination for clips.

The gang’s all here‼️ by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Markedman":2bw6sty1 said:
Getting there!

Yes, those cabinets on the bottom are Thieles, one EV, one C90. I have another EV but the C90 actually sounds good mixed with an EV on top. The Mark IV has an EV. The red cabinet on top has a Fillmore 75 that is my favorite speaker and blends well with the EV Thiele. I will be using that combination for clips.

The gang’s all here‼️ by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Hawttttt. And probably really fucking heavy to move. Lol. That is so badass. Cheers!

So far the triaxis 50/50 is the winner. Sounds so so good. The Quad & 400 is too compressed sounding. I will fuck with it some more tomorrow, switching power amps and settings. It could be time for a tube swap. No hum or crackling sounds just real thick and machineishly sounding compared to the IV and Triaxis. Not open and raw like a C+, I have lots of tubes.

Nice job! Great way to pass the time! I worked on my board for the Axe III and the my board for rehearsals and gigging.

Markedman":1mjcaoy4 said:
So far the triaxis 50/50 is the winner. Sounds so so good. The Quad & 400 is too compressed sounding. I will fuck with it some more tomorrow, switching power amps and settings. It could be time for a tube swap. No hum or crackling sounds just real thick and machineishly sounding compared to the IV and Triaxis. Not open and raw like a C+, I have lots of tubes.

I'm not a big fan of the Strategy. For the bigger Mesa Power amps, the 2:90 is my favorite. Try the Quad through the 50/50 and the TriAxis through the Strategy. My guess is the compression you are hearing will follow the Strategy.

I did try all combinations. The 400 sounded dull compared to the 50/50 at bedroom levels. The difference being the presence knob, the 50/50 has one, the 400 does not. I've found that the presence knob needs to go up for low volume playing, down for live situations. The Quad may need to have a tube swap and I will send it to Mike this summer to have him go over it and do the foot switch mod so I can use my Mark IV foot switch. But it is way compressed sounding when played next to the Triaxis or Mark IV.
My controller arrived last night. Fedex took a while, a whole day to get it here fro the west coast!

flatheads_4ever":3rvhfijj said:
Nice to see a return of a rack!

I use to have a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp with 6L6's. Great power amp. I'd like to find another one someday.

Ed
There is one in Chattanooga CL for $250.

Back