Let's talk favorite Randy Rhoads bootlegs?

Kapo_Polenton

Right on the heels of the 38th anniversary of his death last week, I've been pumping whatever shows I can find on youtube. First off, thank god for youtube. Everybody's crusty old handheld recorders they snuck in or the guy who recorded straight from the board, I am eternally grateful. While the video footage is limited, there are quire a few shows. Which are some of your favorites? It is interesting to see the variations night to night in his performances. Same basic structure and riffs but he changes things up show to show. Sometimes the leads can sound rushed or like he was trying a variation to keep things fresh before rushing back into the riff etc. I love the fact that you hear these incredibly human moments and improvisations rather than him just playing everything note for note every night. His rythm playing is absolutely ferocious almost every time but no doubt you can hear what nights he is more "on" vs. the ones where he just isn't feeling it as much. We've all had that I am sure. End of the day, I think they more or less got it right with the Tribute record as those performances they picked are fantastic. The live solo spot (from Montreal i believe) also is one of my faves as it is extremely clean compared to some of the other performances where his ideas seemed more disjointed. Anyway, I came across this performance last week and I think it is the bees knees. He's on fire, Children of the Grave outro solo is fu__ing ripping.

I had one called Bat Head Soup when I was a kid and it was so awesome. Wish I could find that again.

The show they used for Bat's Head Soup, is an FM King Biscuit recording from Cleveland 1981, it's on YouTube and it's killer!

My favorite is the Montreal 1981 KBFH show. I have a bunch of Randy/Ozzy boots and this one is definitely my favorite!!!. I have been listening to it since late 1981. It was not broadcasted as a full show as Children of The Grave/Iron Man were not included at the time when I recorded it off the radio. Those songs were broadcasted as I have boot CDs with Children of The Grave/Iron Man on it. I wish they just would release the who damn show among other soundboard recordings.

The solo on Tribute is def. The live spot from the MTL show. I found another site where people were discussing their favourite Randy shows and among the mentions is the Providence show. I listened to that one on YouTube last night ..awesome playing! He was definitely on that night.

I noticed they did some pro footage for the diary tour as I believe the Chicago show is on YouTube as well. That means they have got to have the full pro footage somewhere. I don't buy that that's all they got. If they were able to splice together a bit of footage, you know there is full footage of a few tunes anyway.

It's not necessarily a a bootleg but the bonus 1981 live disc from the DOAM 2011 Legacy remaster is my fave. Highly recommended , the guitar solo spotlight is a little different from all the other ones I've heard from that era which are more or less identical

ewOI76pl.jpg

Kapo_Polenton":92rsjf57 said:
The solo on Tribute is def. The live spot from the MTL show. I found another site where people were discussing their favourite Randy shows and among the mentions is the Providence show. I listened to that one on YouTube last night ..awesome playing! He was definitely on that night.

I noticed they did some pro footage for the diary tour as I believe the Chicago show is on YouTube as well. That means they have got to have the full pro footage somewhere. I don't buy that that's all they got. If they were able to splice together a bit of footage, you know there is full footage of a few tunes anyway.

If there is indeed a pro shot show somewhere I highly doubt the Osbournes have possession of it . They would've cashed in on it years ago

hammered":3nev63tb said:
It's not necessarily a a bootleg but the bonus 1981 live disc from the DOAM 2011 Legacy remaster is my fave. Highly recommended , the guitar solo spotlight is a little different from all the other ones I've heard from that era which are more or less identical

ewOI76pl.jpg

My google searching suggests that this legacy remaster was taken from the Montreal show in 81, the king biscuit flower hour recording that had been broadcasted as well as recorded at the sound board. They definitely made the guitar pop more in this mix. Similar to what was done with Tribute.

Kapo_Polenton":3icjexor said:
hammered":3icjexor said:

ewOI76pl.jpg

My google searching suggests that this legacy remaster was taken from the Montreal show in 81, the king biscuit flower hour recording that had been broadcasted as well as recorded at the sound board. They definitely made the guitar pop more in this mix. Similar to what was done with Tribute.

I’ve heard the Montreal show many times I’m 99.9% sure this ain’t it

hammered":23zp3lew said:

ewOI76pl.jpg

I forgot about this show, it's awesome. Apparently it's a few different shows.

That would explain it then if they packaged together a few diff shows. They obviously had recorded more shows than we know. Bummer that there is a live video with Brad Gillis jerking off all over the whammy bar out there instead of RR. That would have been some killer footage. Yes I know you have to give props to Brad for stepping in but his interpretations were horrible. Really bugs me. If only Schenker had said yes!!

A little off topic, but sort of relevant - that black Les Paul Custom Randy was photographed with a few times, the one with three pickups...how come there are no live shots with that guitar and him? Did he get it shortly before he died?

panhead":1ixtlm7h said:
That's cool but that fucker couldn't sing then either.

Anytime it sounds like he is having a good set, they 100% overdubbed with a studio track lol. There are some shows where he is def. better than others but ultimately, that life style wasn't going to preserve his voice night after night. He essentially just did a ton of cocaine and shouted through the mic.

Mr. Willy":2v4haxcd said:
A little off topic, but sort of relevant - that black Les Paul Custom Randy was photographed with a few times, the one with three pickups...how come there are no live shots with that guitar and him? Did he get it shortly before he died?
I don't he ever used it live.

Mr. Willy":1rgivwpo said:
If I remember right, Randy borrowed the black les paul from the photographer that did the shoot and the cradling the classical shots. Cant recal the photogs name at the moment, did alot of 80's mag cover shots. Too damn early for my nocturnal self to be working the wee gray cells.

My fav live recordings, flips often from a early Daisley/Kerslake recording to a later Doam tour......Montreal is really good. There are some anazing Montreal bootleg videos, unfortunately they didnt strat doing it til 85 or so. An amazing Queensryche one from Rage for Order is ...well amazing.
Recently I spent a bunch of time comparing the various releases of Doam/Blizzard, and was floored how different the mastering is on the original Us vs the remaster and the Japanese release.......Japanese version is so much clearer and uncompressed.

I to like the Montreal show. I got to see Randy on the DOAM tour in B-ham AL..Here's a signature I got from him but no photos we did not take a camera. He was gone a few weeks later.

Attachments

• PB040036.JPG
    PB040036.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 397
Back