George Lynch Wicked Sensation tone on the Axe-Fx III

RoccoPezzin

Hey dudes! :rock:
This is my take on George Lynch's tone on Wicked Sensation (one of my favorite albums ever), using the Fractal Axe-Fx III !
The guitar sound varies quite a lot throughout the album, I’ve done some research and I’m pretty sure the heart of it was his 1988 modded Soldano SLO-100, he also used Engls and his famous purple Marshall ’71 Super Lead. Cleans were recorded with a Roland JC-200 and a Fender Super Champ.
I’ve decided to make two different rhythm scenes, one based on the SLO-100 (brighter, stiffer power section - for ex. Wicked Sensation), and one based on his purple plexi using the Friedman BE (darker, more sag/spongier - for ex. All I want). For cleans I’ve chosen the Roland JC120 (the JC-200 is basically the head version of the JC-120).
Here's a link to the patch if anyone wants to try it (free download) https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ ... ch.159704/

Enjoy! :rock:

RoccoPezzin":4pv8qwy6 said:
panhead":4pv8qwy6 said:
Why do you think the SLO was modded? Never heard that before.
If I remember correctly he had a couple of SLOs modified by Mike Soldano with a depth knob and some other stuff, don't remember where I've read it though

EDIT check it out, this is from the old official George Lynch website http://web.archive.org/web/200312260418 ... tudio.html
At the bottom of that page it says:
"The usual box of pedals was also there in the studio. Always in use is the Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer."

Do you think he was using it with just the Marshall or also the SLO (just to tighten it up maybe)?

And great tones and playing! :rock:

SpiderWars":fwn0m0ft said:
RoccoPezzin":fwn0m0ft said:
panhead":fwn0m0ft said:
Why do you think the SLO was modded? Never heard that before.
If I remember correctly he had a couple of SLOs modified by Mike Soldano with a depth knob and some other stuff, don't remember where I've read it though

EDIT check it out, this is from the old official George Lynch website http://web.archive.org/web/200312260418 ... tudio.html
At the bottom of that page it says:
"The usual box of pedals was also there in the studio. Always in use is the Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer."

Do you think he was using it with just the Marshall or also the SLO (just to tighten it up maybe)?

And great tones and playing! :rock:

Thanks man! Definitely to tighten up the Marshall, but I'm not sure about the SLO! It's definitely tighter than a Super Lead even without a boost

Playing is great but the SLO sounds a bit too sizzle-y to me. Maybe it wouldn’t be in a mix though. Overall great job.

For your next trick... Warren DeMartini Lay It Down please ?

paulyc":t51wyymg said:
Playing is great but the SLO sounds a bit too sizzle-y to me. Maybe it wouldn’t be in a mix though. Overall great job.

For your next trick... Warren DeMartini Lay It Down please ?

Thanks! The original sounds pretty sizzle-y to me, but works great with bass and drums :rock: Love Warren's playing! Definitely keeping that in mind for future videos!

Sick!!!! Love it man! Has some nice thick grind in their but it is not way over the top (just like GL tone should be). Sounds killer and always love how articulate and defined your playing is man. You really focus on every note!

Thanks for the riffs and prayers out to your country man! Stay safe brother. :rock:

psychodave":yd0i81g3 said:
It’s cool, but it’s really buzzy sounding. Playing is great though.

This REH video was done during the recording of Wicked.

https://youtu.be/Dgk8w78x_84

Thanks man! Yeah love that video, must have watched it a million times! The tone on the record is different from the one in the video though, if you listen to the intro of Wicked Sensation the guitar has got those sizzle-y highs, once the whole band kicks in they're not that obvious. Of course this is an approximation of the tone, I'm using completely different gear and most importantly I'm not George :LOL: :LOL:

romanianreaper":h2e9vpd1 said:
Sick!!!! Love it man! Has some nice thick grind in their but it is not way over the top (just like GL tone should be). Sounds killer and always love how articulate and defined your playing is man. You really focus on every note!

Thanks for the riffs and prayers out to your country man! Stay safe brother. :rock:
Thanks a lot man! Tough times for sure, good thing we have guitars :rock: stay safe!

Great watch, as always
The warmth and just enough gain is part of that disc’s magic
A good comparison is the isolated track video:

Sick Squid":3bbr85uk said:
Great watch, as always

Thx for posting this. This track doesn’t have that buzz that the OP has in his axe fx clip. The ax fx clip almost sound like a droning buzzy speaker... especially during the opening riff.

That said, it’s still cool and Rocco’s clips are always fun to watch.

Sick Squid":2g2b653b said:
Great watch, as always

Damn! That guitar solo is insane. So much fury and fire! Thanks for posting the isolated tracks.

There is obviously way more gain on the solo track. Kind of surprised though by how much hiss comes through before he starts the solo.

psychodave":1bfnrinw said:
Sick Squid":1bfnrinw said:
Great watch, as always

Thx for posting this. This track doesn’t have that buzz that the OP has in his axe fx clip. The ax fx clip almost sound like a droning buzzy speaker... especially during the opening riff.

That said, it’s still cool and Rocco’s clips are always fun to watch.
Thank you man, preciate it :) Not to state the obvious, but you do realize this is the raw track, before mixing/mastering right? If you compare it to the record it's got more bass/low mids and less highs

Back