Some bad Whitesnake

LP Freak

I’m not sure what’s up with this but it’s a pretty rough performance all around... Riddled with tons of mistakes, horrible lead and back up vocals, you name it. Kind of an odd line up too.

Funny, I just watched that earlier today as well. It seems as much footage as I’ve seen of post 80’s Whitesnake you can just say “Some Whitesnake” and the bad is assumed...lol

WTF? I couldn't watch the whole thing but Coverdale seemed to be trying to sing as little as possible and while I love Warren's playing it sounded like he pretty much made no effort to learn any parts of the solos at all..... :aww:

I thought Warren did a decent job on one of the early solos (Love ain't no stranger? don't remember anymore).

Gimme Cozy and Mel (who is also a great singer) along with Sykes.

In fairness to Warren - I would not want to try and learn Sykes solos either. I always found them difficult to hear on some songs and a million notes ha.

legend71":1q9p5kna said:
In fairness to Warren - I would not want to try and learn Sykes solos either. I always found them difficult to hear on some songs and a million notes ha.

Agreed, drenched in reverb and a million notes is going to be hard for anyone to hear. Also, Warren is a different style of player and while he is in my top 10, his style was not well suited here. His phrasing just didn't fit well and I don't think he spent any time learning the key parts to any of the solos which would have helped a lot. Essentially, he winged it as a hired gun to make a bit of money to help float himself. Singing and performance here is bad all around. They are all over the place. Almost as if they were using this gig as rehearsal before the real gigs started.. Warren is good in Love ain't no stranger though. His solo fit that quite well I thought.

I'm a huge DeMartini fan (even have a Frenchie Charvel!) but have to agree with Kapo on this one. Warren's doesn't fit in as well here as it does with Ratt where he had a bit more breathing room. His backup vocals are awful. LOL.

I was in high school when "Whitesnake" came out and we wore out that album when it was released. Being a guitar nerd even back then, I always read about what gear was used, who played on it, who produced the album, etc. To this day, annoys the crap out of me that the videos didn't represent who actually did the work on that album music wise. I'd watch the videos and feel like "asshole, you didn't play that solo, don't even try....". LOL.

It sounds to me like the vocal line was taken from a feed before it hit the effects. The mix is horrible and as we all know live mix makes a world of difference in the over all perception of how things sound.
That being said I feel great about the lead I used to play on "slide it in". Warren isn't a slide player obviously

splatter":1nqe4hxt said:
It sounds to me like the vocal line was taken from a feed before it hit the effects. The mix is horrible and as we all know live mix makes a world of difference in the over all perception of how things sound.
This.

splatter":yu94cip2 said:
That being said I feel great about the lead I used to play on "slide it in". Warren isn't a slide player obviously
Fo sho!

I've seen Kiss a couple of times on big festivals and while they sounded great standing in the audience, hearing back the sound from the videos from the same festival is something else, typically not better.
This Whitesnake line-up in Italy lacked spark and chemistry for sure, even though Warren DeMartini is one of my fave guitarists. His bluesy, more laid back style didn't suit this period of Whitesnake. Could've been different if this was early 80's Whitesnake with Marsden/Moody.
My band has covered Fool for your Lovin' and Here I go Again and it's quite tricky to get the proper Whitesnake feel.
I didn't even bother with those crazy Vai solo's when they re-recorded it for Slip of the Tongue, so I did the Marsden-version in 'Fool';
From 2m44s to 3m01s this solo:

Yeah i think Warren was AWFUL in the Snake..didn't seem to want to learn any solos and he isn't the best improviser in the world (even he admits that)

sytharnia1560":rcet6m53 said:
Yeah i think Warren was AWFUL in the Snake..didn't seem to want to learn any solos and he isn't the best improviser in the world (even he admits that)

Yeah, he looks lost. It is almost like a "man, this is not really me" type thing going on. It is amazing how a person can be a "rock guitarist" but doesn't typically translate when you see a guy switch bands. Sometimes it works but the chemistry between the originals is how the band got there in the first place.

Back