Fortin Nameless Suite - Chug test - Video!

errrrrl

More quarantine riffage. I never truly sat down and spent some time with the Nameless suite. When I first got it I sort of blew thru it, i think I had a new amp or something so it didn't get much love. Anyway I got to say it sounds pretty good. Better than my Kemper. Enjoy!

You've prob been asked before but can you give a quick run thru of your recording set up? Your clips always have a polished sound to them.

Great job as always!
The Fortin and Darklglass Neural DSP plug-ins were a game changer for me. Sent my Kemper (the second time I had one) packing!

Having said that the Kemper was very useful to cure any amp gas I had by allowing me to try every amp in existence. I realized I always ended up with a Marshall-style EL34 amp sound so after awhile I felt like I didn’t need it anymore.

The Kemper is still an amazing recording tool, but I like how the plug-ins give me one amp to tailor my sound as needed with pedals and speaker/mic combinations. I found it much easier to dial in than sorting through thousands of Kemper profiles to find what I wanted. Plus it was easier to record once then just adjust the sound afterwards. I know you can reamp with the Kemper but it seemed complicated. I just find the plugin workflow to be perfect for my needs.

Commented on GGF but it deserves another here - LOVE IT!

You have the best vids ever yet built :rock: :rock: :rock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

nigelpkay":388gztgb said:
Great job as always!
The Fortin and Darklglass Neural DSP plug-ins were a game changer for me. Sent my Kemper (the second time I had one) packing!

Having said that the Kemper was very useful to cure any amp gas I had by allowing me to try every amp in existence. I realized I always ended up with a Marshall-style EL34 amp sound so after awhile I felt like I didn’t need it anymore.

The Kemper is still an amazing recording tool, but I like how the plug-ins give me one amp to tailor my sound as needed with pedals and speaker/mic combinations. I found it much easier to dial in than sorting through thousands of Kemper profiles to find what I wanted. Plus it was easier to record once then just adjust the sound afterwards. I know you can reamp with the Kemper but it seemed complicated. I just find the plugin workflow to be perfect for my needs.

Yeah man the Kemper taught me there are only 3-4 amps tops that I really want. a 5150 type, a hot rodded Marshall, a Mark IV, and an Orange. I traded my Kemper for two Splawns then sold the Splawns for my KSR Orthos. I have a modded Marshall and an Orthos plus a Peavey 5150 being delivered today. Now I just need a Mark IV and an Orange OR100, Rockerverb, etc.

Best thing that came out of this Covid 19 crisis is errrrrl faka going into quarantine to make more of these killer videos. :LOL: :LOL:

Great tones and recording as always my man :cheers:

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Monkey Man":4wjew5qt said:
Cool, as always, errrrrl. :LOL: :LOL: :rock:
Thanks Monkey man! :rock:

Luca79":4wjew5qt said:
This really sound great.
It really does. Been jamming with it on other guitars now trying different sounds. It does the high gain thing well. :thumbsup:

SpiderWars":4wjew5qt said:
Scott would be proud! That is THICKAGE!
Thanks SpiderWars :rock:

rottingcorpse":4wjew5qt said:
All sorts of kick ass going on in here....
:rock: :rock: :rock: Thanks brother!

MrDowntown":4wjew5qt said:
that's really good ! the gear is good, but the tune is very good!

well-done
THanks MrDowntown! :thumbsup:

nigelpkay":4wjew5qt said:
Great job as always!

Thanks and well said :thumbsup: I think I prefer having an actual digital amp that I can play with the knobs anyway I want and not have it go to shit like a Kemper profile. I still fire up the Kemper but the more I play with it the more I find myself not satisfied with the high gain stuff. Even my own profiles I made direct have this weird high end digital shrill going on. I haven't tried making profiles with mics yet, maybe I should try that before letting it go.

Devin":vv3s82j9 said:
Commented on GGF but it deserves another here - LOVE IT!

You have the best vids ever yet built :rock: :rock: :rock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
THanks for the kind words Devin :rock: :D

MrDowntown":vv3s82j9 said:
love the fat kid dancing BTW... :LOL: :LOL: and scenes from C O L O R S...
Me too lol... and yeah I felt the urge to add some Color footage to it :cheers:

slyym":vv3s82j9 said:
Fuck the music I’m here for the videos!!!!
:LOL: :LOL: Cheers Slyym :cheers:

PBGas":vv3s82j9 said:
Sounds great! Your vids are hilarious! Thx for making the day a bit brighter!

:rock:
Thanks PBGas! I appreciate that :thumbsup: I'd be pumping out more but lately when I do my one day record + vid my wife gets aggro on me for not spending quality time with the kids :scared: My kids and I are enjoying this quarantine, my wife on the other hand is trying to push this whole no electronics and play cards n shit vibe when she is at work and we are at home :doh:

Beyond Black":vv3s82j9 said:
Awesome in every way. Killer tone, riffs, and your videos rule. :rock:
Thanks brother! :rock: :rock: :rock:

311splawndude":vv3s82j9 said:
Best thing that came out of this Covid 19 crisis is errrrrl faka going into quarantine to make more of these killer videos. :LOL: :LOL:

Great tones and recording as always my man :cheers:

:rock: :rock: :rock:
:LOL: :LOL: Thanks 311splawndude :cheers:

Yeah bro that kills! Bought the Nolly plugin as it's pretty diverse but diving back in with some free trials. :D

SpiderWars":2vrhocd0 said:
You've prob been asked before but can you give a quick run thru of your recording set up? Your clips always have a polished sound to them.
Thanks Spiderwars! I recently picked up some Adams t5v monitors for Christmas and that has made a drastic improvement for me on fine tuning/mixing.

My setup is:
RME UCX usb interface
Adams T5V monitors
Windows 10 with Reaper
Waves OneKnob Series vsts
Waves SSL E-Channel vst
Waves Bass Rider Plugin
Waves CLA Bass
Waves CLA MixDown
Addictive Drums 2
Ugritone midipacks

Here is a step by step how I normally record:

For guitars I like to record 3 tracks - Left pan 78% ish - Middle - Right pan 78% ish. To make them sound fuller I use a different IR for each track or for the Nameless suite I change the mic and move it a little per track.
For drums I use Addictive drums 2 and lately been using midi packs I got cheap from Ugritones. If I have time I'll turn on my Roland kit and just play along like with this track.
For Bass I plug straight in to the interface

Then I start working on levels
First thing I usually do is add the bass rider plugin to the bass track. It just auto levels it for me and then I add CLA bass and just mess with it a little. That plugin rocks for simple piano thrash bass sound :thumbsup:
Then I solo the drums and bass tracks and balance their levels til sounds good
Then I Add a track and call it guitars and drag all 3 guitar tracks under it as sub directory tracks, this is just to make it quicker for balancing levels.
I switch the master track to mono, solo the guitar tracks only, then drop the middle guitar track down for the time being, pan then balance the left and right to matching levels, then slowly bring up the middle track til it fills in the sound without over powering the left and right track. Doing this in mono really helps for me.
While still in mono I take of solo and have all the tracks playing and adjust the guitars track without touching the sub guitar tracks til it sounds good with my bass and drums.
Take it off mono and see how everything sits and adjust if needed

Then I like to fine tune everything with the Waves OneKnob "Brighter", "Phatter" and "Louder" and Waves SSL E-Channel plugins.

I usually start with the drums, first tweak the snare, high hat and bass drum levels to taste in the drum software. Then I use the SSL E Channel to make it pop where needed. Literally going thru every knob and moving back n forth a little to adjust by ear.

Make sure the master track is in stereo then I do each guitar track, Left first I adjust the Louder plugin til the left side stands out just a bit, then adjust the brighter til I can hear just a little more detail (picking, finger sliding etc) then adjust the phatter if it needs a little more bottom end/beef to it. Then I do the right and adjust it a slightly different. So if the left is brighter I'll make the right a little less bright but beefier. The middle I usually just add a little bright to it and try to leave it from standing out too much in the mix.

Then I do the bass, then drums the same with the brighter, phatter and louder as needed til everything kind of stands out on its own.

Then last I use the same SSL E channel on the master track and adjust sparingly, then next in the chain I use CLA MixDown (the glue) and pick between setting 1 or 2 really, then use the brighter, louder and phatter again to taste which helps making everything louder overall.

I hope this makes sense... I took my time writing this up and its pretty much what I do :cheers:

errrrrl":2h1k7hjg said:
SpiderWars":2h1k7hjg said:
Thanks Spiderwars! I recently picked up some Adams t5v monitors for Christmas and that has made a drastic improvement for me on fine tuning/mixing.

My setup is:
RME UCX usb interface
Adams T5V monitors
Windows 10 with Reaper
Waves OneKnob Series vsts
Waves SSL E-Channel vst
Waves Bass Rider Plugin
Waves CLA Bass
Waves CLA MixDown
Addictive Drums 2
Ugritone midipacks

Here is a step by step how I normally record:

For guitars I like to record 3 tracks - Left pan 78% ish - Middle - Right pan 78% ish. To make them sound fuller I use a different IR for each track or for the Nameless suite I change the mic and move it a little per track.
For drums I use Addictive drums 2 and lately been using midi packs I got cheap from Ugritones. If I have time I'll turn on my Roland kit and just play along like with this track.
For Bass I plug straight in to the interface

Then I start working on levels
First thing I usually do is add the bass rider plugin to the bass track. It just auto levels it for me and then I add CLA bass and just mess with it a little. That plugin rocks for simple piano thrash bass sound :thumbsup:
Then I solo the drums and bass tracks and balance their levels til sounds good
Then I Add a track and call it guitars and drag all 3 guitar tracks under it as sub directory tracks, this is just to make it quicker for balancing levels.
I switch the master track to mono, solo the guitar tracks only, then drop the middle guitar track down for the time being, pan then balance the left and right to matching levels, then slowly bring up the middle track til it fills in the sound without over powering the left and right track. Doing this in mono really helps for me.
While still in mono I take of solo and have all the tracks playing and adjust the guitars track without touching the sub guitar tracks til it sounds good with my bass and drums.
Take it off mono and see how everything sits and adjust if needed

Then I like to fine tune everything with the Waves OneKnob "Brighter", "Phatter" and "Louder" and Waves SSL E-Channel plugins.

I usually start with the drums, first tweak the snare, high hat and bass drum levels to taste in the drum software. Then I use the SSL E Channel to make it pop where needed. Literally going thru every knob and moving back n forth a little to adjust by ear.

Make sure the master track is in stereo then I do each guitar track, Left first I adjust the Louder plugin til the left side stands out just a bit, then adjust the brighter til I can hear just a little more detail (picking, finger sliding etc) then adjust the phatter if it needs a little more bottom end/beef to it. Then I do the right and adjust it a slightly different. So if the left is brighter I'll make the right a little less bright but beefier. The middle I usually just add a little bright to it and try to leave it from standing out too much in the mix.

Then I do the bass, then drums the same with the brighter, phatter and louder as needed til everything kind of stands out on its own.

Then last I use the same SSL E channel on the master track and adjust sparingly, then next in the chain I use CLA MixDown (the glue) and pick between setting 1 or 2 really, then use the brighter, louder and phatter again to taste which helps making everything louder overall.

I hope this makes sense... I took my time writing this up and its pretty much what I do :cheers:
And then after all that you make a kickass video. That's awesome. :rock:

That One Knob sounds like a good way to simplify settings. I can grasp brighter, phatter, and louder.

Back