Boss Waza Tube Expander owners - Please chime in

Econ

I have a Friedman JJ Jr hooked to 2 1x12 cabs. I'm thinking about adding effects to my rig, as well as adding attenuation to get the best cranked tone possible at apartment volume levels. I'm also on the wait list for a Fractal FM3. For all the reasons stated previously, I'm thinking about getting the Boss Waza Tube Expander. My question to the Tube Expander owners is: Do you thinking it would be overkill to get this TAE for the applications that I have in mind?

The JJjr sounds great at low volumes, crancking is 11 o'clock max IMHO, after that it starts to get overly compressed.

The JJjr has a great FX loop, so you can use your FM3 for effects, they will be better than the TAE.
Whisper volumes will not work unless you use the headphone output on the TAE. Simply the 2x12 needs some volume to sound decently. The Class-D amp in the TAE is cool, but still you will need to push the 2x12.

The cab simulation options are limited compared to the OX or the Captor X, but you can load IRs, 1 at a time.
The Boss TAE software is 1990 compared to the Ox or the Captor X.

If you don't plan to gig, get an OX, it sounds great and the effects are very good, but effects are only for the line out, not for the cab out. The app is really cool, you do not have full flexibility on the mics and rooms, but sounds great. The room mikes are the sheet on it, it really sounds like an amp in the room in headphones. (minus the air moving and pants shaking)
The individual mikes have Eq, plus you have global EQ, compressor, delay, plate reverb.
The attenuator part is garbage below 3.

If you are gigging the new Captor X is really cool, great speaker simulations, almost full flexibility on the speaker sims, distance, axis, front, back ton of mikes. You can load 2 IRs at 1 time and you can blend them. Has a "Twin Tracker" artificial double tracker feature and stereo reverb or ambiance, EQ, enhancer. Has a 3 level attenuation, no effects on the real cab. Roughly half the price of the TAE and the OX.

The TAE is cool, the variable reactive load is giving you some tone shaping options, effects are sent to the cab too. Has an effects loop, compressor, delay, reverb, separate EQ for the Cab out and the line out, can switch channels of the JJjr.

If I would buy something knowing the FM3 is coming, I would choose the Captor X. Just my 2 cents.
(And yes I have all 3 of them and a JJjr, and not forming an opinion based on youtube videos. :) )

After having the Ox, Torpedo live and studio over the past number of years, I have kept the Waza TAE. It is an amazing unit! I use it with a JP-2C and new EVH 5150 III 50s. I find that it affects my amp the least of all of the them as far as tone. I also like the fact that when I am gigging (whenever we all get back to that someday!), it is also a great back up if the amp goes down as I can run a pedal right into the loop of it and use the poweramp built in for my cab and keep playing.

The great thing is that you have a lot of choices. The Waza software is fine. It isn’t all beautiful as the others are but it is simple to use and gets the job done. With the last update they did in Feb adding the 121 mics and blends, it sounds incredible.

I too liked the OX in headphones with the room effect but in the end, it just did not sound as good to me live and playing through my monitors and I also found that I didn’t like the attenuation on it. The adjustable resonance on the Waza is outstanding.

The Captor X looks like a nice unit as well with a lot of features but the load is essentially the same as the regular Captor with some nice bells and whistles added.

I also have an Axe III at home and to be honest with you, since I have had my Waza unit, I have not used the III nearly as much. I am considering selling it at this point or getting an FM3 instead for a smaller more portable setup.

The Fletcher Munson feature on the Waza is amazing. Down at whisper quiet volumes, both of my amps still sound punch and clear.

PBGas":4vfp26py said:
After having the Ox, Torpedo live and studio over the past number of years, I have kept the Waza TAE. It is an amazing unit! I use it with a JP-2C and new EVH 5150 III 50s. I find that it affects my amp the least of all of the them as far as tone. I also like the fact that when I am gigging (whenever we all get back to that someday!), it is also a great back up if the amp goes down as I can run a pedal right into the loop of it and use the poweramp built in for my cab and keep playing.

The great thing is that you have a lot of choices. The Waza software is fine. It isn’t all beautiful as the others are but it is simple to use and gets the job done. With the last update they did in Feb adding the 121 mics and blends, it sounds incredible.

I too liked the OX in headphones with the room effect but in the end, it just did not sound as good to me live and playing through my monitors and I also found that I didn’t like the attenuation on it. The adjustable resonance on the Waza is outstanding.

The Captor X looks like a nice unit as well with a lot of features but the load is essentially the same as the regular Captor with some nice bells and whistles added.

I also have an Axe III at home and to be honest with you, since I have had my Waza unit, I have not used the III nearly as much. I am considering selling it at this point or getting an FM3 instead for a smaller more portable setup.

The Fletcher Munson feature on the Waza is amazing. Down at whisper quiet volumes, both of my amps still sound punch and clear.
If you notice any of the recent Tone Talks with Dave Friedman, there are both a TAE and a Fryette PS 100 sitting behind him. That alone should speak volumes.

And yes, while I love my Ox Box, the fact that the TAE (and to a similar extent, the PS100) can do so much more in a live setting (along with being a backup 100 watt pwr amp) makes both of them really compelling.

PBGas":17v2gkjb said:

Awesome and very helpful post! I had an important follow up question for you.

When comparing your JP-2C into the TAE and monitoring via headphones and/or FRFR vs. the JP-2C model in the Axe Fx III, are able to still notice the benefits of the real thing in feel, dynamics, harmonics, etc.?

I know the benefit is there when a real amp is run through a real cab vs. the Axe's models, which are fantastic, but does the this use case with the TAE neutralize the comparison to the point of there being no discernable difference?

I have an Axe III but am getting back into owning tube amps. Just secured my first Mark IIC+ and will likely have a V 90 watt by this weekend. I have a Two Notes Captor and it is just not doing it for me. The Boss TAE seems like the obvious way for me to go given its superior reactive load and various impedance options. However, I struggle with the question of whether the TAE with a real IIC+ will actually result in any benefits at the end of the day compared to the IIC+ model in the Axe Fx III, when the primary use case will be monitoring with super high end cans/IEMs or a pair of Atomic CLRs on poles.

From what I tested and recall, the JP-2C with the Waza sounded great with IRs but at the same time, the Axe III JP-2C sounded just as great with the same IRs. Honestly, I sold my JP-2C and cab because the III model is spot on when using it through a FRFR cab.

Obviously nothing is as good as the real amp through a cab but for me, I'm really happy with the setup I have with it. Part of the decision for me was that no one has really gigged since March and really, it doesn't look like there is too much of that going on up here for the near future at least. I don't need a backline anymore as I run straight to the PA system and have a Friedman ASC-10 pointed up at me. I also do not need a 100W amp anymore.

That being said, the JP-2C is an awesome package.

PBGas":1snug4lx said:
From what I tested and recall, the JP-2C with the Waza sounded great with IRs but at the same time, the Axe III JP-2C sounded just as great with the same IRs. Honestly, I sold my JP-2C and cab because the III model is spot on when using it through a FRFR cab.

Obviously nothing is as good as the real amp through a cab but for me, I'm really happy with the setup I have with it. Part of the decision for me was that no one has really gigged since March and really, it doesn't look like there is too much of that going on up here for the near future at least. I don't need a backline anymore as I run straight to the PA system and have a Friedman ASC-10 pointed up at me. I also do not need a 100W amp anymore.

That being said, the JP-2C is an awesome package.

Ahh. Thanks for the input. Make sense.

I am just a home studio user, so I also don't have the gigging related needs. I am actually planning to pick up a Neural Quad Cortex once they are available, which is why I was starting to get set back up with tube amps, so I can make my own amp profiles/captures in the unit. All I really need in life is a IIC+ and a V to cover all of of the bases (but a IIC++, III and IVa along with a Wizard MCII and MTLII would all be really nice to have too!). But if the Axe III's IIC+ model (or QC's IIC+ model) will be 99.9% the same as a real IIC+ into a TAE, then I could free up some money by parting with the IIC+ to get something else that provides additional variety instead of an indistinguishable improvement in quality. Heck if I can figure out a way to do a non-miced isolation box for my 2x12 hz rectifier cabinet that is super quiet, then I could maybe get by without a TAE for creating amp profiles/captures and use the money to get my C+ modded to ++ plus have enough left over to also get a Suhr RL.

@PBGas do you have any pointers on how to set the JP 2C model in the Axe or maybe a preset?
I'm having trouble getting a great sound, and I'm familiar how to dial in Marks (I have a Mk IV), so not sure what I'm missing.

I own a BOSS WAZA TAE and love it. I use it in 3 scenarios. First way with my tube heads and 2- 412 cabinets. Second way with my tube heads, 2-412 cabinets and my 2-Friedman ASC12 floor wedges with IRs coming from the WAZA to the Friedman ASC12. Best of both worlds with real cabinets and IR cabinets mixed in. The third way I run it is with my Fractal AXE FX 3 to power my real 412 cabinets. In this situation I can also run the real 412s with no IRs and then run my ASC12s with IRs coming from the Fractal.

Options 1 and 3 need zero cabling changes excepting either plugging in the front of a real tube head or the front of the Fractal AXE 3.

The delays and reverbs on the TAE are awesome and the linear pot for the attenuation is incredible as I can get a 100watt tube head and 2-412 cabinets to have a screaming tone and literally whisper volumes. The power amp on the TAE is super transparent and super loud when needed.

To me the TAE has been my best purchase in the last year.

rm5153":2h5m3rsb said:
I own a BOSS WAZA TAE and love it. I use it in 3 scenarios. First way with my tube heads and 2- 412 cabinets. Second way with my tube heads, 2-412 cabinets and my 2-Friedman ASC12 floor wedges with IRs coming from the WAZA to the Friedman ASC12. Best of both worlds with real cabinets and IR cabinets mixed in. The third way I run it is with my Fractal AXE FX 3 to power my real 412 cabinets. In this situation I can also run the real 412s with no IRs and then run my ASC12s with IRs coming from the Fractal.

Options 1 and 3 need zero cabling changes excepting either plugging in the front of a real tube head or the front of the Fractal AXE 3.

The delays and reverbs on the TAE are awesome and the linear pot for the attenuation is incredible as I can get a 100watt tube head and 2-412 cabinets to have a screaming tone and literally whisper volumes. The power amp on the TAE is super transparent and super loud when needed.

To me the TAE has been my best purchase in the last year.

Those are similar uses to what I had in mind too. Follow up question for you. When using this as a power amp for the Axe, is the loop return in the TAE stereo, and can the dual speaker outs in the TAE keep that stereo signal in tact out to your cabs? I have not dove into the manual but it seemed like it was mono in and the stereo out really only benefits the effects in the unit.

Back