What's wrong with me?

There is nothing wrong with you. People change. Some more than others....

I’m still using Floyd roses. I don’t think I would enjoy playing without them. I did switch away from using Ibanez for more than 30 years. As I got older I just was not as comfortable on those skinnier necks. I moved over to Fender CS guitars with Floyds on them. Super happy for the past few years.

PRS are fine, but they just don't have the growl and vibe of a Gibson Les Paul.

As someone said in regards to the reformed version of Ram Jam; "I can't believe you're playin' Black Betty on a PRS. I love the song, but for gods sake, get a friggen Les Paul!"

:thumbsup:

To each their own, and more power too ya if that's your thing ;) Tastes evolve in guitars...just be mindful of where your state of playing is. Are you playing as much as you used to(if you had the time?), are you losing your fire? For me the classic style guitars in my setup(Strat and Les Paul) were played by some of the most over the top guitar styles that I love since my formative years and still influence my playing to this day(Malmsteen, Sykes for example). I don't subscribe to the notion that those guitars are limited to certain styles or varying degrees of heaviness. I still pretty much play all my guitars equally depending on what mood in in or sound I'm after but my Ibby is still my #1. I have no intention of slowing down, getting lazy and rationalizing it like some graduation into mediocrity as if it's a badge of honor. There's too much to explore, and I love it too much to lose it by not staying committed to it...If I'm fortunate enough to live into my 80's I'll still be pushing it to the limit as long as I'm physically able(not saying I'm a great player at all, I just try my best). If you stop pushing yourself, you'll lose interest....it WILL happen, and don't be swayed by enablers telling you that it's some kind of "growth" to slow down or chill out...you can still do all that and not forget where you come from.. Just be mindful and honest with yourself. Whatever works for you, good luck! :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/KdJAP_WChDc?t=912

You need the right tools for the job. If the guitar you have doesn't cover all the tones you want to be able to get, then you either need a new guitar or you need more guitars or you need to follow Phil X and get all those sounds from your hands... And to that point, if you are focusing more on what you're playing, instead of just playing anything you can get your hands on, then Yes, there is something wrong...

Nothing wrong. I’m in the same boat. Never liked or had anything except a super strat, still love and play my SS’s. But I bought a PRS CE24 new from Sweetwater a couple years ago, forced myself to give it a go. Fast forward, now I have 2 PRS CE24’s, a PRS Custom 24, PRS SC245 and PRS 594 McCarty. And I have my first new USA Fender Strat it for delivery today... figured what the fuck, only live once and all I’ve tried is cheaper Fender Strats and never could gell.

Now that I think about it, I've never owned a PRS. I've played many, but they just don't "speak" to me. Some say this is due to the PRS compensated nut design, others say not. I'm not a fan of the PRS headstock design per se, and the finish seems caked on, thick. If I could get an unfinished (oiled) PRS, I might just dig it. I wish more builders would offer this as an option.

As far as who does/doesn't play PRS... The Gibson Les Paul is the #1 choice amongst blues dentists, blues lawyers, blues doctors, blues collar workers, vagabonds... Gibson is it! The only other brands I'm interested in, is Gretsch and Fender.

Ultimately in the end...play what you want.

If it feels good, sounds good who gives a crap about the brand or the look of the guitar. That's really all that matters.

Goat":2ijxalfi said:
Now that I think about it, I've never owned a PRS. I've played many, but they just don't "speak" to me. Some say this is due to the PRS compensated nut design, others say not. I'm not a fan of the PRS headstock design per se, and the finish seems caked on, thick. If I could get an unfinished (oiled) PRS, I might just dig it. I wish more builders would offer this as an option.

As far as who does/doesn't play PRS... The Gibson Les Paul is the #1 choice amongst blues dentists, blues lawyers, blues doctors, blues collar workers, vagabonds... Gibson is it! The only other brands I'm interested in, is Gretsch and Fender.

My first was a Sweetwater special run that was satin black oil type finish where you can see the grain, so you can find them without the full covered paint.

I’m thinking it was an age related move
You were thinking about buying a coffee table and got your wires crossed

Back