What's wrong with me?

the rossness

I don't know what's happening to me? For as long as I've played guitar, I've been into Van Halen style guitars. Charvel/ EBMM/ Jackson/ EVH/ ESP/ Kramer- that kind of thing.
Screaming bridge pickup/ floyd rose/ crazy paintjobs. To me, they were always the cool guitars. And lately, I seem to be into PRS, which to me is what lawyers and dentists play.
They were always soooo not cool. As I get older, I'm liking thicker neck shapes, mahogany necks and bodies and nitro finishes (to let the wood breathe).
I still go crazy on the whammy bar, I still like a hot pickup, but I'll pick up my Wolfgang or one of my Charvels and I can't help but think how my PRS is better.
Sounds better. Plays better. Feels better. And its like the least cool guitar I can think of. Is this just a part of getting older and wiser?
I'll log onto the PRS forums and its like being surrounded by cork sniffers who are shoving their noses up Paul's backside. Knowledgable community, yes, but its like the opposite of cool.
What's wrong with me?

kinda boring to play the same stuff forever. i like trying new gear to see what i like and what i don't. doesn't mean i have to like the people.

I always thought they looked cool, ever since seeing them in Guitar Center catalogs in the late 90s and seeing some of the players at the time using them.

I told my nephew; One day you'll grow out of your L.A. 'hair band' phase, and begin to seek a deeper understanding of the instrument, and what it (and you) are capable of...[/i] He rolled his eyes, and went back to head-banging. :LOL: :LOL:

Today, he is steeped in the stylings of George Benson, Jeff Beck, David Lindley, Rory Gallagher, Lindsey Buckingham, Peter Green, and other noteable composers. Along with his growth as a musican, his taste in instruments has progressed as well. He eventually sold his whizzy-necked Ibanez, Charvel, and Jackson guitars (one of which was originally mine), and stepped into a '58 LP Historic, a 70's Ibanez Artist, and a PRS 513.

Gibson and PRS are appropriate for all styles of music, so what's not to love? And who's to say you can't belt-out your favorite 'hair band' songs on a PRS? Ted Nugent tore the ass-end out of his PRS! As a life-long LP fan, the only other brand I would consider playing is PRS.

the rossness":34dvvk84 said:
I don't know what's happening to me? For as long as I've played guitar, I've been into Van Halen style guitars. Charvel/ EBMM/ Jackson/ EVH/ ESP/ Kramer- that kind of thing.
Screaming bridge pickup/ floyd rose/ crazy paintjobs. To me, they were always the cool guitars. And lately, I seem to be into PRS, which to me is what lawyers and dentists play.
They were always soooo not cool. As I get older, I'm liking thicker neck shapes, mahogany necks and bodies and nitro finishes (to let the wood breathe).
I still go crazy on the whammy bar, I still like a hot pickup, but I'll pick up my Wolfgang or one of my Charvels and I can't help but think how my PRS is better.
Sounds better. Plays better. Feels better. And its like the least cool guitar I can think of. Is this just a part of getting older and wiser?
I'll log onto the PRS forums and its like being surrounded by cork sniffers who are shoving their noses up Paul's backside. Knowledgable community, yes, but its like the opposite of cool.
What's wrong with me?

I'm the opposite as I get older. I despised Floyd Rose's after about 1995, and now all three of my guitars have them. 2 are bolt-on that I used to hate, (along with 25.5 scale).

the rossness":2gnt52if said:
What's wrong with me?
Well there's still some pretty darn good - modern players using PRS and Pauls. And there was a time that if you weren't playing a PRS something was wrong lol. Don't be guilty of what I've done in the past...trend chase. I lost my single best guitar I've ever owned that way. Letting some crap lead singer badger me because it was a pointy head stock. Major lesson there for me years ago...don't trend chase and tell your lead singer to stick to what he knows. Now that said it opened the door up to changes, which needed to be open, I just shoulda kept that guitar lol. And since I've owned two extraordinary sounding guitars, one being a Les Paul and the other a PRS. Neither will ever go anywhere.

But yeah, the thinner necks don't work for me anymore. I bought two Charvel DK24's hoping to get some floyd madness and after 20 mins, my hands are fatigue due to the necks being thin. And no doubt...I like the body wood combo of Maple/Mahogany now, a beefier neck but I still like hot pups. And tonally that combo just sounds bigger. I'm still getting my Floyd Shredder fix with a Chubtone build. It's just going to be a bit of a wait.

I say if it feels good, go for it! But...you'll be back. This 80's thing is in us forever. You can go days, weeks, even months on a whole other kick. You can sell all the neon super strats, convince yourself you've entered a new phase of life (I've definitely been there before).

And then one day it hits you like a freight train...you need a crackle Soloist, and you need it bad. And the world instantly goes back to normal.

Rock Bodom":1bhvz65u said:
I say if it feels good, go for it! But...you'll be back. This 80's thing is in us forever. You can go days, weeks, even months on a whole other kick. You can sell all the neon super strats, convince yourself you've entered a new phase of life (I've definitely been there before).

And then one day it hits you like a freight train...you need a crackle Soloist, and you need it bad. And the world instantly goes back to normal.
:LOL: :LOL:

This. You'll always have that SS in your heart...you may venture out of the box for a PRS here, or an LP there..nothing wrong with that. But, ultimately I suspect you'll still keep your favorite Charvel or whatever around. I enjoy pulling a nice LP or PRS off the top rack at a store, play for a few minutes and I totally understand the attraction. Nice tone, playability(most of the time, some dogs like any other brand) but ultimately they are like precious pieces of furniture to me..just too nice to dig in and play! I'd be too scared to ding it up at a gig.
On my Charvel, its a badge of honor. lol

I think it's good to have a Sunday driver. I've been thinking of getting a vintage guitar just not sure what...early 60s SG maybe...or a 1940's 000-18. Something still attainable and awesome at the same time.

One downside to living in the rural south if you’re a young rock guy is every small music store you go into is full of fender/squier teles, fender/peavey amps, and a bunch of fat old boomer faggots who think that anything other than Mark Knopfler or Santana is just some “screamo” noise they think is crap.

You’re instincts are right. PRS guitars are for boomer dentists and doctors. Kind of like Bonanza airplanes.

I, for one as a hard rock guy, get so tired of being told my music is immature, and that I have to “grow out of it”. I love my Charvels and EVHs. People gravitate to PRS, and start hating on shredding simply because they suck and can’t play like that.

I’ve had plenty of those old boomer retards berate me for my style, and it just makes me want to double down more on my love for it.

Well you can tell what camp I’m in!!

Attachments

• 0FEE48A3-AF97-4419-AF0F-5AAC2112F387.jpeg
    0FEE48A3-AF97-4419-AF0F-5AAC2112F387.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 539
the rossness":hom7adid said:
What's wrong with me?

LOL! Dude, I went into a PRS thought process for a few weeks then came out of it. I think I'd love the playability but wonder about the tones.

It goes in waves for me.

I was a Les Paul guy for a long time. Then I built a couple super strats and got way into the Sunset vibe. And yet every so often something in my head nags me into GASing for a Jaguar:

LAAvJNc.jpg

I don't know why but I think that's kind of the coolest guitar ever.

I owned a PRS for a week and then I returned it. Stunning to look at, played real nice, didn’t sound great in my setup so back it went.

BigGuitars":3hpdtptr said:
One downside to living in the rural south if you’re a young rock guy is every small music store you go into is full of fender/squier teles, fender/peavey amps, and a bunch of fat old boomer faggots who think that anything other than Mark Knopfler or Santana is just some “screamo” noise they think is crap.

You’re instincts are right. PRS guitars are for boomer dentists and doctors. Kind of like Bonanza airplanes.

I, for one as a hard rock guy, get so tired of being told my music is immature, and that I have to “grow out of it”. I love my Charvels and EVHs. People gravitate to PRS, and start hating on shredding simply because they suck and can’t play like that.

I’ve had plenty of those old boomer retards berate me for my style, and it just makes me want to double down more on my love for it.

BigGuitars be offended! :LOL: :LOL:

Goat":35qlt1cd said:
BigGuitars":35qlt1cd said:

BigGuitars be offended! :LOL: :LOL:

Back