somebodys on crack. maybe it s me IDK

That is just plain NUTZ!

However, it looks like people are buying or trading.

So..... if they want to spend that much money on some magnets and wires... I guess they have some $ to burn. Pickups are important but not $2K+ important.

That’s insane. Well for me at least.
Get me a good mod gain pickup. Play it mid gain on a great amp.
They all sound the same give take 1 percent.
Just my opinion.

I could see that price as a collectors thing and more power to those who want them. But yikes, I have zero interest in old pickups. I honestly don’t think I’d put them in any guitar if someone gave them to me and I didn’t know they were sought after. But I understand the value, supply & demand thing. Probably not too many of them around.

"Put any one of these in the bridge position of your R9 and it's like taking a sock off your tone, huge improvement. I love the modern pickup makers today but they cannot mimic the lazy, bell like, thick mid tone you get from the real thing!"

:hys:

I know a guitar and amp tech/golden ear guru with 30+ years in the biz that was tasked with finding a suitable backup for a real deal '59 Les Paul. The owner of the '59 did not want to continue to gig the guitar due to it's value.
A nice R9 was acquired and the hunt was on for suitable replacement pickups to match the orig '59. No expense was spared and many pickups were swapped in and out. The R9 + replacement pickups was continuously A/B'd to the original guitar until the owner was satisfied they had gotten as close as possible to the original.
The R9 ended up with a custom wound set of Black Belts from Wade at MCP. The owner of the guitars is happy. My buddy, who did the pickup swapping, was in the room for all the A/B testing, and has played both guitars extensively, thinks the R9 with MCP's sounds better than the real '59.
YMMV

If you have a vintage guitar with non-origin pickups I’d think investing in an original pickup would not only increase the value of your instrument a bit, but would also make it more desirable. As for putting a 2500 pickup in a 3500 dollar guitar, that’s crazy.

fusedbrain":3isitr8s said:
The R9 ended up with a custom wound set of Black Belts from Wade at MCP. The owner of the guitars is happy. My buddy, who did the pickup swapping, was in the room for all the A/B testing, and has played both guitars extensively, thinks the R9 with MCP's sounds better than the real '59.
YMMV

Now GASing for some custom wound Black Belts. :LOL: :LOL:

What sucks is I ruined a few real PAF’s. I was adding wire from one bobbin to another trying to make them hotter. I even tried adding winding in the opposite direction to hear what it sounded like. lol

SpiderWars":b4ark54p said:
For 4x-5x that price for ONE pickup couldn't you get an early 60s SG...with 2 of them already in it?
I thin the 60s where physically the same pickup, but with a patent sticker. The tone is in the sticker

scottosan":1mg1jjko said:
SpiderWars":1mg1jjko said:
For 4x-5x that price for ONE pickup couldn't you get an early 60s SG...with 2 of them already in it?
I thin the 60s where physically the same pickup, but with a patent sticker. The tone is in the sticker
I think you can get one for even less than that if it’s been refinished and if it’s an sg custom then maybe even 3 pickups.

I’ve tried and compared side by side quite a few Gibson’s from the 50’s and 60’s and my 2 favorites (for humbucker guitars) of what I’ve tried so far were actually both from the 60’s, but it seems still that the 50’s ones usually sound richer and more complex (this seems to be the case with most pickups in general with ‘60’s vs ‘50’s), but those 2 ‘60’s were particularly good. If I were to try lots more Gibson’s I think I’d probably still find my all time favorite humbucker to still be a ‘50’s paf of some sort. My favorite p90 guitar so far is my ‘57 Les Paul Jr

When it comes to vintage pickups the ones that actually impress me most are the good P90’s and the 60’s pre-cbs tele pickups. There are some pickups out there today that can get very close to sounding to the pafs and old Strat pickups in the AB comparisons I’ve done, but none have come close to being like those p90’s or tele pickups. The strange thing is too that vintage p90 and tele pickups are way way cheaper than vintage paf’s or Strat pickups yet much harder to sound like them. A good p90 has an angry snarl and rawness that I’ve found to be unmatched by anything else

FWIW, I think the prices he’s asking are pretty typical for pafs. I wouldn’t buy one myself, but from my experience in various AB comparisons, my favorites paf style pickups I’ve tried (and I’ve had and compared many) were amazingly close but still didn’t quite have the same warmth or organic way of reacting to nuances in ones playing. Very close though

Back