Question for Mesa Mark V owners.

Fret-Shredder

Have any of you switched to EL34 power tubes? I would like to hear your thoughts on how they compare to 6L6. Thanks

How loudly do you play your amp?

Probably 85% (myself included) of people on here don't play loud enough for power tube distortion so it wouldn't make a difference imo

Metlupass2":37up80u8 said:

Probably 85% (myself included) of people on here don't play loud enough for power tube distortion so it wouldn't make a difference imo

Just living room volume. Not loud gig volume.

I switched to EL34s. Tamed the ice picky thing IMO. I never did gig with that amp, though.

Fret-Shredder":3dkjaa1u said:
Metlupass2":3dkjaa1u said:

Your tubes aren't even getting hot and breaking up. All you're hearing is pre amp distortion. Don't waste the money.

GJgo":2yu11yw3 said:
I switched to EL34s. Tamed the ice picky thing IMO. I never did gig with that amp, though.

I'm interested in putting in the EL34s in variac mode and switching to 45 on the power mode to see how that feels and sounds.

Fret-Shredder":37pv0bse said:
I'm interested in putting in the EL34s in variac mode and switching to 45 on the power mode to see how that feels and sounds.

Well then, there's only one way to scratch your itch. Personally I dug the 34s in 45w mode.

GJgo":yde38c84 said:
Fret-Shredder":yde38c84 said:

Well then, there's only one way to scratch your itch. Personally I dug the 34s in 45w mode.

Excellent. Thanks. :rock:

So, what? Wait a minute, some of you cannot recognize the sound of EL34 v. 6L6????????? New thread on the horizon IMO! I find the responses here

Come on now. Seriously folks, I'm pretty sure I could hear the difference when I was 13 years old and I'm damn sure I can hear the differences in 6L6 brands and special letters after the 6L6 part, today, right now as I write this. I hate certain tubes, power tubes and pre-amp, and can easily hear the difference like night and day. The difference between EL34 and 6L6 tubes is downright stark in Boogie amps especially.

Mine came with EL34’s and I feel no need to switch to 6l6. Huge bottom end, high end cuts very nicely but doesn’t sound ice picky. I run it in 45w mode on variac power for band practice, I play it very loud lol

Metlupass2":27kk9ki8 said:
Fret-Shredder":27kk9ki8 said:
Metlupass2":27kk9ki8 said:

Your tubes aren't even getting hot and breaking up. All you're hearing is pre amp distortion. Don't waste the money.

This is exactly correct. If you're not turning up the MV, you're only getting pre amp gain and volume. Power tubes don't matter. Turn it up loud, different story.

Markedman":37np4edn said:
So, what? Wait a minute, some of you cannot recognize the sound of EL34 v. 6L6????????? New thread on the horizon IMO! I find the responses here

Come on now. Seriously folks, I'm pretty sure I could hear the difference when I was 13 years old and I'm damn sure I can hear the differences in 6L6 brands and special letters after the 6L6 part, today, right now as I write this. I hate certain tubes, power tubes and pre-amp, and can easily hear the difference like night and day. The difference between EL34 and 6L6 tubes is downright stark in Boogie amps especially.

At bedroom volumes you're full of poop. Turned up loud is a different story.

You’ll lose a little “size” in the cleans but all the dirty tones, in my opinion improve with 34’s. I also use an attenuator at home to crank the amp because it sounds incredible when turned up. But I could still hear a difference without the attenuator and moderate volumes. Experiment with the channel volumes and see how much more dirt and balls you get on CH 1 and 2 by getting the Ch masters up over 1 O’Clock. Plus I like running it through greenbacks. Every amp circuit is different. I noticed all the people saying it wouldn’t make a difference without volume don’t actually own the amp and have heard the difference.

If you don't turn up the volume power tubes make minimal impact, but please people believe what you want. To hell with electrical engineering; I'm sure "your ears" are right.

skoora":jdb9spao said:
You’ll lose a little “size” in the cleans but all the dirty tones, in my opinion improve with 34’s. I also use an attenuator at home to crank the amp because it sounds incredible when turned up. But I could still hear a difference without the attenuator and moderate volumes. Experiment with the channel volumes and see how much more dirt and balls you get on CH 1 and 2 by getting the Ch masters up over 1 O’Clock. Plus I like running it through greenbacks. Every amp circuit is different. I noticed all the people saying it wouldn’t make a difference without volume don’t actually own the amp and have heard the difference.

Got my Mesa EL34s today. Cab im using is my Friedman 4X12 with Greenbacks on top and Vintage 30s on the bottom. Head 8 ohm into the 16 ohm cab. I first played the 6L6s for about 30 minutes low volume. You could have a conversation and not be drowned out by the amp. Mark IV voicing triode mode. Then switched to EL34s Mark IV voicing variac mode engaged like the manual says and also in triode mode. First 90 watt then 45 watt and I honestly hear a difference in tone and can feel it in my strings too. Definitely has that sag feel and more sizzle like my boosted JCM800 2204. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm really loving the versatility this amp offers.

Fordman65":13c4k8hv said:
If you don't turn up the volume power tubes make minimal impact, but please people believe what you want. To hell with electrical engineering; I'm sure "your ears" are right.

:thumbsup:

Metlupass2":15ufzacg said:
Fret-Shredder":15ufzacg said:
Metlupass2":15ufzacg said:

I think the same goes with all big watt tube amplifiers. Get a good quality AC15 (or Marshall 18 watt variant) for power tube distortion at lower volume. Power tube distortion is cool, but, blending pre/power distoriton is where it's at for me.

I love the "tweed" mode on the Mark V. Enjoy!

Metlupass2":3sy7ymsa said:
Fordman65":3sy7ymsa said:

:thumbsup:

It’s music, my ears are all that matter. Once again you can’t speak for an amp that you haven’t tried in this regard. Plus no-one has mentioned power tube distortion. Only an auditory difference in the response of the amp.

Back