Most quiet amp

I'm looking for a quiet amp for living room use.
Most 5w amps are too loud or sound bad if turned down.
I tried a Hotone Plexi which sounded fine at 100dB but like shit when turned down.
Is there a little amp with a master volume I can buy?

Devin":2xo906ct said:
Yamaha THR10X is fuckin awesome; it's what I use
This. You really can struggle with decent tube sounds at low wattage. Not saying it can’t be done but it can be frustrating. The 5150iii does have a great MV though.

That Yamaha is killer. Had one few years back.
My indoor practice amp is a Spider jam line 6.
Things amazing. Bass tracks. Drum tracks. Records.
All tempos can be adjusted.
Tons effects.
Haven’t looked back.

Not sure i fully understand the original post, but I'll respond anyway

Based on 'quiet', my '65 Fender Bandmaster beats anything I have ever experienced..no hiss, no hum, no nothing...not even close...I have literally fired this thing up and thought something was blown, only to figure out later that a volume knob somewhere in the train was on zero, or something or so..

The biggest misconception I have come across in amp discussions is that Low wattage amps are better for low volume situations..this is simply not true

herewegoagain":16na3agg said:
Not sure i fully understand the original post, but I'll respond anyway

Based on 'quiet', my '65 Fender Bandmaster beats anything I have ever experienced..no hiss, no hum, no nothing...not even close...I have literally fired this thing up and thought something was blown, only to figure out later that a volume knob somewhere in the train was on zero, or something or so..

The biggest misconception I have come across in amp discussions is that Low wattage amps are better for low volume situations..this is simply not true

I really meant LOW VOLUME.

The biggest misconception I have come across in amp discussions is that Low wattage amps are better for low volume situations..this is simply not true[/quote]

^This

I bought the 5150iii because someone told me a 100 watter would be too much for the bedroom. Granted, I play at 100 db plus a lot of the time, but i can play at volumes that don't wake up the kids in the next room also. I ended up getting a XXX in a trade, and realized that 120 watts, 50 watts, or 1 watt are only different when you talk about the max volume/max volume before breakup. I have owned a diezel, slo, and two avengers that have all been played at that level. If you want go Solid state, that's cool. A lot of them have headphone plug ins as well. But for me, buy the amp you want to play loud, and play it at whatever volume. And for the money of the yamaha, you could just use your computer as an amp.

Diezel VH4 KT77
Peavey 6505
VHT Deliverance 120

Are these the amps you have? Now my buddy has a deliverance 60, he says the taper is pretty harsh. But the vh4 or 6505 can be played at very low volume. While they won't sound as good at low volume as at the magic 100-110 decibel level, they will still sound a lot better than most of the low watt lunchbox gimmick stuff out there.

cardinal":ik64z2ji said:
Mesa Marks probably are the best tube amp I've owned at maintaining a low volume sound IMHO.

I definitely agree with my mkiv you can get great tone at a whisper level if you dial it in right.

Smashedguitarist":xtwdvebp said:
Diezel VH4 KT77
Peavey 6505
VHT Deliverance 120

Are these the amps you have? Now my buddy has a deliverance 60, he says the taper is pretty harsh. But the vh4 or 6505 can be played at very low volume. While they won't sound as good at low volume as at the magic 100-110 decibel level, they will still sound a lot better than most of the low watt lunchbox gimmick stuff out there.

Yes. But I won't drag my 6505 or vh4 to my living room. ;)

I always wonder how people have these issues with noisy amps. I can honestly say it has never been an issue with me, even in the studio. I don't use high gain, is that what is causing it? Or is it hum?

Back