Are prices on used Marshalls going up in SH%^T economy?

harddriver

I browse Craigslist regularly and I actually see people asking really unrealistic prices for Marshall amps usually, JMP's JCM800's. Do these people think there is some booming collector market in this depressed economy?

It just doesn't follow any logical reasoning, I guess if yo can find a buyer at those prices kudos to you. Just curious if you guys notice the same thing.

i thought used prices would come down during these uncertain times and its been seemingly the opposite both on craiglist/facebook and online. i did snag a dsl100H/1960a for $700 from a cover band that wasnt going to be playing anymore but besides that i havent seen many "email that guy right now" kind of deals.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=211557&p=2314386#p2314386

"Looking to trade my 1980 JMP 2203. It’s stock, healthy, and righteous.

I’m looking for a vertical input JCM800 2203. Would need cash from your end on this."

For some odd reason this guy thinks his Marshall is somehow better than yours and would trade his for your exact same amp if you wouldn't mind ADDING cash to the deal! WTF is up?

The used gear market in general has gone up; about a yr ago actually. At some point I started seeing GCs used prices go way up, like 30% over what they were on anything I'd be interested in. Then Music Go Round, Craigslist, Reverb and Ebay. I scored an 82 2204 for 1100 shipped about 10 months ago and that was a steal based on what I was seeing everywhere else.
When I do see a deal, like an 87 2555 for 1500, its gonzo in an hour or less. Then the same amp is listed on eBay or Reverb for 3999. If you do see something you'd better pull the trigger or the flipper will before you.

Markedman":3nskv8vi said:
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=211557&p=2314386#p2314386

"Looking to trade my 1980 JMP 2203. It’s stock, healthy, and righteous.

I’m looking for a vertical input JCM800 2203. Would need cash from your end on this."

For some odd reason this guy thinks his Marshall is somehow better than yours and would trade his for your exact same amp if you wouldn't mind ADDING cash to the deal! WTF is up?

Dude. Calm down. I believe you and I have talked about gear in the past- I’m not some random stranger trying to screw someone else over. not sure why you’re so worked up over this. I had an old 800 that I miss and this JMP doesn’t sound like it did. I’m not an expert on Marshall’s by any means but JMPs tend to go for more than 800s. That’s just the way it is. Please relax and remind yourself why you’re on this forum in the first place.

There is a booming market right now, I’ve never had so many buyers email me since the stay at home went down, also I have some friends up in higher ranks at gc and they said their sales were Black Friday numbers every week. I also think the sales tax bullshit really added to the inflated prices of used marshalls, I probably bought 20 last year and only a few recently.

Racerxrated":1y9ysxvz said:
The used gear market in general has gone up; about a yr ago actually. At some point I started seeing GCs used prices go way up, like 30% over what they were on anything I'd be interested in. Then Music Go Round, Craigslist, Reverb and Ebay. I scored an 82 2204 for 1100 shipped about 10 months ago and that was a steal based on what I was seeing everywhere else.
When I do see a deal, like an 87 2555 for 1500, its gonzo in an hour or less. Then the same amp is listed on eBay or Reverb for 3999. If you do see something you'd better pull the trigger or the flipper will before you.

Agreed- it’s not just a Marshall thing. Getting harder and harder to find a deal

1. People are stuck at home with nothing to do but play and ****.
2. People are concerned that manufacturers won't make it through the shutdown, so they're buying up gear.
3. Buying things off-sets depression.
4. Those that are aware of the above, are pricing items for ridiculous sums.
5. People are greedy.

Monomyth":188v99wc said:
There is a booming market right now, I’ve never had so many buyers email me since the stay at home went down, also I have some friends up in higher ranks at gc and they said their sales were Black Friday numbers every week. I also think the sales tax bullshit really added to the inflated prices of used marshalls, I probably bought 20 last year and only a few recently.
Yeah that 600 bucks a week on top of unemployment when they made 350 before taxes employed. Pretty fucked up if ya ask me.

Monomyth":3oez0ylq said:

I sold a lot of gear in the past few months... Stuff sold quick. I even picked up a guitar during that time. :D

Not sure about any shit economy though. In the past 4 years (actually close to the last 12 years) my portfolio is up big, this year pulled back around 10%. I'm still very happy :thumbsup:

I think part of it is that for a few months, all the "used gear" stores were shuttered, so people had no other outlet but to sell on their own. Since they didn't have to compete with stores, and supply was low, prices naturally went up. The private sellers could now ask what the stores had been asking, since there was nowhere else to go, other than Reverb and eBay, which are as jacked up as they've ever been... If you walk into a MGR or GC's used area right now, there isn't much there. It may be a seller's market for a little while longer. We'll see I guess.

psychodave":22sofn0c said:
Monomyth":22sofn0c said:

I sold a lot of gear in the past few months... Stuff sold quick. I even picked up a guitar during that time. :D

Not sure about any shit economy though. In the past 4 years (actually close to the last 12 years) my portfolio is up big, this year pulled back around 10%. I'm still very happy :thumbsup:
I think the market and the economy are disconnected a bit right now. So much stimulus for the market to run. We'll see how it all pans out. I got lucky and moved a bunch to safety in late Jan and then went all-in in late Feb. Then a big chunk back to safety early June. Up ~10% this year.

I just keep thinking the PPP/stimulus is propping up the market but serious damage has already occurred.

I watch a lot of CNBC and the experts have no clue so I certainly have no idea. But I'm at an age where it's kind of a big deal. :yes:

WGAF":3g0psj29 said:
Devin":3g0psj29 said:
From what I've been seeing, it looks like the price on EVERYTHING is going up.

I 100% agree with that & it has zero logic behind it.

Less money means demand should be lower so sellers of anything need to stay attractive to get a buyer.

The world today, with all things, appears to be upside down.

There isn't less money. There is more. Inflation is taking hold. You think it's bad now, oh boy...just wait.

Devin":389zf6wk said:

This. ^^^^^

Everyone gets a covid check from Uncle Sam at about the same time. Boom! Prices on hobby/luxury items jump up temporarily. The more checks the government issues the worse the situation will become.

Free money really isn't "free" when it has a devaluing effect on everything else (ie, inflation).

Pentatonic":3rbz3chs said:
Devin":3rbz3chs said:

This. ^^^^^

Everyone gets a covid check from Uncle Sam at about the same time. Boom! Prices on hobby/luxury items jump up temporarily. The more checks the government issues the worse the situation will become.

Free money really isn't "free" when it has a devaluing effect on everything else (ie, inflation).

I didn't think the COVID checks would drive a music gear revival but maybe it has. When the program comes to an end in August and if alot of these businesses don't survive we won't be talking about higher prices on used Marshalls anymore. The stock market is and has been completely divorced from the real main street economy, look up zombie companies if you are interested or even weimar republic hyper inflation. I'm sure alot of people see the inflation at the grocery already.

Devin":hyrfs1yp said:

Yes. Everybody seems to think they're sitting on gold for about the last 6 months. Many want top dollar for used gear, and some people are absolutely out of their minds.

Back