What do you do with your music?

stratjacket

Curious what do you all do with the tunes or riffs you write?

I released 2 independent albums back about 9 years ago (time fly’s) and didn’t expect much, didn’t do much either, but it was fun and I can forever say that I did it.

But since then I’ve been at a struggle with what to do. I’ve enjoyed playing and developing, but didn’t see a reason why to go through the effort to do another full song the same way. Until lately. The last several weeks I started doing some YouTube videos and it kind of reignited the fire and created some excitement for me to do more. I think my plan is just to write songs, make a video and post the video on YouTube (and maybe done other sites) and just keep doing it even when no one sees them. Maybe create an album after I get 12 or more songs posted, I don’t know.

I know there are some on here that have bands, tour and release albums and try to make a real go of it. Some people (like me) are more hobbyists that just love guitar as a life long pursuit. But curious what do you do?

stratjacket":58cqcso7 said:

I released 2 independent albums back about 9 years ago (time fly’s) and didn’t expect much, didn’t do much either, but it was fun and I can forever say that I did it.

But since then I’ve been at a struggle with what to do. I’ve enjoyed playing and developing, but didn’t see a reason why to go through the effort to do another full song the same way. Until lately. The last several weeks I started doing some YouTube videos and it kind of reignited the fire and created some excitement for me to do more. I think my plan is just to write songs, make a video and post the video on YouTube (and maybe done other sites) and just keep doing it even when no one sees them. Maybe create an album after I get 12 or more songs posted, I don’t know.

I know there are some on here that have bands, tour and release albums and try to make a real go of it. Some people (like me) are more hobbyists that just love guitar as a life long pursuit. But curious what do you do?

Dude I just created a post this morning about putting music up, etc. I think more of us that make music should put our stuff out there because there are these kids making albums with zero talent. Hitting a bunch of keyboard sound effects, etc. and "singing" over it.

I have a bunch of songs and normally put them on Soundcloud or YouTube and just do it so friends and family can hear. I want to put it out to a wider audience just for the hell of it. I don't even care about making money, etc. I just like doing music. :)

I play for because I am passionate about playing. SOME open mics are awesome and it's fun to get out there (50/50 some royally suck). I really don't feel like doing another band, it's frustrating as most don't put the work in and some habitually miss rehearsals. And drama. I am done with that. I play with a lot of backing tracks and improv over them and have fun. I really don't do serious recording nor do I have a desire to do an album. I know some cool people that I play with and we have a good time. I have everything needed in my shop/studio and it can be fun. If I came across a few people that wanted to write and record together, I would totally do it. I can handle guitar and bass and half ass the drumming (or use ez drummer if I was desperate.

I am not seeking anything at the moment I just enjoy it. I have a guy that builds me pedals that I use for demos and social media for him. Something fun to just fuck with.

For me guitar sorts my issues out, frees my of anxiety and frustrations and is medicine. I just like playing. I play other instruments too. For me it's a love affair. Financially I am set and don't seek to make more money from music.

You can call it as it is, but I enjoy playing music.

romanianreaper":tblgegmc said:
stratjacket":tblgegmc said:

But since then I’ve been at a struggle with what to do. I’ve enjoyed playing and developing, but didn’t see a reason why to go through the effort to do another full song the same way. Until lately. The last several weeks I started doing some YouTube videos and it kind of reignited the fire and created some excitement for me to do more. I think my plan is just to write songs, make a video and post the video on YouTube (and maybe done other sites) and just keep doing it even when no one sees them. Maybe create an album after I get 12 or , I don’t know.

Dude I just created a post this morning about putting music up, etc. I think more of us that make music should put our stuff out there because there are these kids making albums with zero talent. Hitting a bunch of keyboard sound effects, etc. and "singing" over it.

I have a bunch of songs and normally put them on Soundcloud or YouTube and just do it so friends and family can hear. I want to put it out to a wider audience just for the hell of it. I don't even care about making money, etc. I just like doing music. :)

I saw your post about where to post to promote your band or music, I started to reply with my question there but thought it may be hi-jacking your thread because I’m curious how many don’t try to do anything or other options.

I hear ya, it’s all for the love of it

stratjacket":2mcpd5d6 said:
romanianreaper":2mcpd5d6 said:
stratjacket":2mcpd5d6 said:

But since then I’ve been at a struggle with what to do. I’ve enjoyed playing and developing, but didn’t see a reason why to go through the effort to do another full song the same way. Until lately. The last several weeks I started doing some YouTube videos and it kind of reignited the fire and created some excitement for me to do more. I think my plan is just to write songs, make a video and post the video on YouTube (and maybe done other sites) and just keep doing it even when no one sees them. Maybe create an album after I get 12 or , I don’t know.

I saw your post about where to post to promote your band or music, I started to reply with my question there but thought it may be hi-jacking your thread because I’m curious how many don’t try to do anything or other options.

I hear ya, it’s all for the love of it

Dude, hijack away. We've known each other on the forum here forever. LOL!

What a great question these days. Just putting things on Spotify & Soundcloud is SO unrewarding. Many of us are from the era where working our way up to "putting out a CD" was the thing to go towards. My band's last CD was put out in 2016, and even though it's still cool to have a piece of hard product to validate the music and make it more 'official' then just telling someone to go check out your Spotify, Soundcloud, whatever... CD's just feel so archaic now, it's almost embarrassing.

We recently did great recordings of 2 cover mash-ups, which is something we've never done before. Since the audio-streaming thing is so unrewarding, I've decided taking the time to make a video to get people to check out the song might be a better way to go. So far so good...but we'll see. (obviously I'm at an age where income from it isn't a factor, thank God! ) Here's the 2-song cover mash-up we just did the video for>>>

I've written and recorded a bunch of stuff, but honestly most of it's probably crap. My youtube channel is stuff I decided to put up for mostly giggles.
It gets a few clicks, but my average view time for my videos is like 10 secs.

I just took a music production course, and started messing around with electronic music, but I'm not very good at it, so it's just something fun to do.
I enjoy the sampling part, and taking random noises and turning them into cool sounds.

UltraGary":25bfoqze said:
What a great question these days. Just putting things on Spotify & Soundcloud is SO unrewarding. Many of us are from the era where working our way up to "putting out a CD" was the thing to go towards. My band's last CD was put out in 2016, and even though it's still cool to have a piece of hard product to validate the music and make it more 'official' then just telling someone to go check out your Spotify, Soundcloud, whatever... CD's just feel so archaic now, it's almost embarrassing.

We recently did great recordings of 2 cover mash-ups, which is something we've never done before. Since the audio-streaming thing is so unrewarding, I've decided taking the time to make a video to get people to check out the song might be a better way to go. So far so good...but we'll see. (obviously I'm at an age where income from it isn't a factor, thank God! ) Here's the 2-song cover mash-up we just did the video for>>>

Dude, that was awesome!!! Loved it! I'm an 80s guy anyway so knew all of the parts of those songs and you guys did a great version of both!

NeubyWanKaneuby":7qonz3sq said:
I've written and recorded a bunch of stuff, but honestly most of it's probably crap. My youtube channel is stuff I decided to put up for mostly giggles.

I just took a music production course, and started messing around with electronic music, but I'm not very good at it, so it's just something fun to do.
I enjoy the sampling part, and taking random noises and turning them into cool sounds.

Keep going though dude, I watched your Pig in Lipstick video just yesterday :rock:

stratjacket":4dob6np6 said:
NeubyWanKaneuby":4dob6np6 said:

Keep going though dude, I watched your Pig in Lipstick video just yesterday :rock:

Thanks! That's one of the songs I did for the production course. I've gone back and tweaked it a little more, but YT doesn't allow you to reupload audio for established videos (which is kinda weird), so I might end up posting a new version down the road.

UltraGary":sod20ic0 said:

This was great! Thank you for sharing it.

romanianreaper":1ch1dgbx said:
UltraGary":1ch1dgbx said:

Dude, that was awesome!!! Loved it! I'm an 80s guy anyway so knew all of the parts of those songs and you guys did a great version of both!

Thanks man! I'm an 80's guy too but was so wrapped up in the 'Sunset Strip' bands and British Metal Invasion bands that I only mildly liked this kind of stuff. Now I really like a lot of the euro-pop stuff from that era! :LOL: :LOL:

NeubyWanKaneuby":z23p00d7 said:
UltraGary":z23p00d7 said:

This was great! Thank you for sharing it.

Awesome...THANKS for listening to it!

.i gigged for 18 years in my younger days. Then I spent the last 5 or 6 years trying to put a good cover band together,it never happened, got close a time or 2 and someone always flakes(usually the singer).

So now I'm basically not playing. I still play in the church band but that requires little to no practice so i pick up my guitar maybe once a week other than at church.I just can't find the motivation to play anymore. Its kinda sad really.
I have thought about putting an add out to try and get some people together just for fun the thought being I won't be disapointed if it goes nowhere and who knows it might be fun.

Back