Diezel VHX $4899

The original SLO here in Aus was $8k ($5.5k USD) even before the whole BAD changeover and the rise in prices of the OG SLO's.
A VH4 in Aus retails for $7,250 AUS ($5k USD)
A Friedman BE100 deluxe is $6,450 Aus ($4,479 US)
A Bogner Helos Eclipse is $6,449 ($4478 USD)
Mesa JP-2C LE is $6,999 ($4,860 USD)
Wizard amps have to be imported as there is no national distributor, so they work out HUGELY expensive to get one here.
Retailers won't budge much, if at all, on RRP as it's a sellers market here.

Expensive taste in amps is a bloody expensive hobby for us lot down here and second hand prices aren't that much less due to the rarity of these level of amps in Australia.

kurtsstuff2003":3vsn66vd said:
I quit buying amps when they started topping 3K even used....I miss the old days when you could pick up
a 70's JMP for $800.00....yeah...I'm old and going off topic.. lol!

+1 :thumbsup:

peterc52":2cumkfgb said:
JackBootedThug":2cumkfgb said:
TO ANY OF MY EUROPEAN BROTHERS-BUY A MESA, SHIP IT TO ME, PAY SHIPPING TO YOUR ADDRESS AND I'LL SHIP IT. FOR FREE. FUCK DA GUBMENT. I guess that would work right? Or am I missing something? never shipped international before.

The only problem is you can’t wire it for 230/240 volts. You can with diezel. But good offer! :)

I knew it could not be that simple. I was sincere though.

JackBootedThug":3gbf8qe2 said:
peterc52":3gbf8qe2 said:
JackBootedThug":3gbf8qe2 said:
TO ANY OF MY EUROPEAN BROTHERS-BUY A MESA, SHIP IT TO ME, PAY SHIPPING TO YOUR ADDRESS AND I'LL SHIP IT. FOR FREE. FUCK DA GUBMENT. I guess that would work right? Or am I missing something? never shipped international before.

The only problem is you can’t wire it for 230/240 volts. You can with diezel. But good offer! :)

I'm sure a tech can? I know my Coliseum can be rewired for 240. Mike B told me any competent tech can do it. Are the newer ones different from my 83 Coliseum? I looked into buying an old early Rectifier from Europe a few yrs back and was told my local tech can re wire it for 120.

Fordman65":bzs3kfqd said:
Racerxrated":bzs3kfqd said:
That's a lot of cash. But....

Wizards new are over that. Friedmans? 4K. And what about guitars? Some of you guys buy Gibson Historics new, aren't they this price or even more? Suhrs? Andersons?

When you put in into perspective this isn't unexpected, is it?

I agree with Fordman though; I have a 3K limit lol.

Very valid point. I'm totally guilty of this. Juist this year, I spent over $4k on a used Ken Lawrence explorer. How the F*&(%$ did I rationalize that one if I'm not willing to spend that on an amp? That said, I do generally like to spend $3k or under on my guitars as well. Part of me thinks, just buy a nice used peavey 5150 for under $1k, a nice used Fender/Gibson/PRS or whatever for under $2k and call it a day.

$3k all in and I'm good to go, right? Hell no! I NEEDED to buy that $3,300 used Wizard! Of course I did!

I'm fortunate in that my guitar hobby budget is fairly significant. That said, these types of struggles are a real mental F&%*$ for me at times. I usually just say screw it and spend the money. :rock:

EDIT: it's also funny that you mention the exact brand of guitars in my house. Just sold a Historic and I have a Suhr and Anderson.... Almost like you were speaking directly to me. :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:
No not you...I know what those guitars retail for new, and they are fairly popular. We could get into the specific 59 LP replica builders, that take 3-6 yrs to build the LP clone for around 10K..Yaron out of Israel is one? I remember Steve K getting one (RIP) and within a yr it was up for 8500 lol.

The ability to recall VH4, Herbert, Hagen, Paul, and Einstein tones in one amp, integrated effects, and a load box start to justify that number (assuming you're comfortable with the base price of Diezel).

I get worried about a bunch of integrated DSP (not sure why) but this looks like a well thought product.

Racerxrated":1rspalo5 said:
JackBootedThug":1rspalo5 said:
peterc52":1rspalo5 said:
JackBootedThug":1rspalo5 said:

I'm sure a tech can? I know my Coliseum can be rewired for 240. Mike B told me any competent tech can do it. Are the newer ones different from my 83 Coliseum? I looked into buying an old early Rectifier from Europe a few yrs back and was told my local tech can re wire it for 120.

It depends on the amp and the transformers. Some amp companies use power transformers with multiple primaries, so one for 120v, one for 240v (maybe some additional ones for japan, etc). Sometimes that is tied directly to a switch on the back of the amp and sometimes those wires are taped off inside and you need to desolder and resolder the correct ones on.

As far as I know, modern Mesa amps don’t use multi-tap primaries, the USA ones only have a 120v primary, and U.K./Europe export models have 240v only primaries. At least that’s the case with my recto.

From a manufacturing point of view I assume making one part would be easier than making two different ones, so I assume they do this to protect their European dealers from having to compete with people importing from the USA.

Regardless, about half the mesas I see for sale on eBay here in the U.K. are 120v models and the person selling is often including a (usually undersized) 240v to 120v step down transformer

Geisterfaust":36ra6bhn said:
I get worried about a bunch of integrated DSP (not sure why) but this looks like a well thought product.

I would be worried about repairability. Not now, but maybe in 20 years when less people know how it works and maybe parts are discontinued. It seems a common issue amongst old yet desirable digital rack units from the 80’s and 90’s, like the 2290 and stuff. Sure they’re built well, but at this point good luck getting it fixed or finding parts if it breaks.

The same is true for the axe FX and all the other digital stuff around today. I’m sure one day the encoder or screen or something will die on my axe FX and it will probably be about the time that nobody has any spare parts left.

mnemonic":3tyi9gb1 said:
Racerxrated":3tyi9gb1 said:
JackBootedThug":3tyi9gb1 said:
peterc52":3tyi9gb1 said:
JackBootedThug":3tyi9gb1 said:

It depends on the amp and the transformers. Some amp companies use power transformers with multiple primaries, so one for 120v, one for 240v (maybe some additional ones for japan, etc). Sometimes that is tied directly to a switch on the back of the amp and sometimes those wires are taped off inside and you need to desolder and resolder the correct ones on.

As far as I know, modern Mesa amps don’t use multi-tap primaries, the USA ones only have a 120v primary, and U.K./Europe export models have 240v only primaries. At least that’s the case with my recto.

From a manufacturing point of view I assume making one part would be easier than making two different ones, so I assume they do this to protect their European dealers from having to compete with people importing from the USA.

Regardless, about half the mesas I see for sale on eBay here in the U.K. are 120v models and the person selling is often including a (usually undersized) 240v to 120v step down transformer
I do know the vintage Mesa Coliseums can be re wired for Eu. I was told this by Mike B at Mesa. The other Marks have to have a specific Export transformer to use as it's switchable between multiple voltages. But the Coliseums all had one PT between all the versions, so if one went to Eu it had to be re wired in series I think.

this thing is versatile as hell and sounds fucking amazaballs.
it does so much and it doesn't need a cab if you choose to go direct live or for recording
there aren't too many amps that can cover all this ground and still have that boutique pedigree.
i think it's totally worth the price and I bet you will start seeing them used for a flat 4k-3800

controlled_voltage":1ayga82g said:

this thing is versatile as hell and sounds fucking amazaballs.
it does so much and it doesn't need a cab if you choose to go direct live or for recording
there aren't too many amps that can cover all this ground and still have that boutique pedigree.
i think it's totally worth the price and I bet you will start seeing them used for a flat 4k-3800

Before I get accused of being Anti-Diezel...I am absolutely not. The Einstein is still one of my favorite amps I have ever played. I really don't get who this amp appeals to. And that demo is doing it NO favors. I guess it would for a touring musician that really needed all of those features.. But who? Will that amp retain it's value over the next 5 years? How will it be serviced with all the technology? Would it not be easier just to make a rack with a couple preamps and fx units (for cheaper)? I just see way too many moving parts here. It seems like an amp for "The guy who wants everything" and then will sell it 3 months later. It's over my head, I guess.

I'm not sure Diezel is expecting to sell tons of them? Maybe. Seems more of a halo product or something they did just because they could. And it does seem cool. But I also would buy it I think. I would prefer to have the various controls all analog and ditch the FXs.

Killer amp, sounds amazing, has all features ever needed in the studio or live, the recording out with IRs and the possibilities to shape the sound are awesome.
XLR into FOH or DAW, just a cab for monitoring on stage. For me a masterpiece of ampbuilding.
I own serial number 001 :D

Digital electronics inside of a tube amplifier... I read somewhere, that digital electronics love excess heat. Seriously, that didn't go over well for Marshall's 6100 series. I suppose if there's ample cooling inside, it could be reliable.

the only way to buy amps these days is used. So if you want one of these wait a year or 2 till the lawyers are tired of them and pick up a used one.

I am going to buy a Wizard, but if you consider it costs more than US$4.000 new and have a shared EQ two channel, the VHX is not bad, on the contrary.

splatter":1qev28vp said:
the only way to buy amps these days is used. So if you want one of these wait a year or 2 till the lawyers are tired of them and pick up a used one.

I ain't a lawyer. I'm just a guitar fanatic who spends all his money on gear. Diezel is my favorite amp company ever. I also can only afford so many of their amps. Ideally I'd love a Herbert, VH4, Hagen, Einstein and Paul, so for me, the price tag is somewhat reasonable given that it supposedly covers everything in their line up in 1 device. Then add in the on board effects and the cabless option makes this a home run in my opinion. Do I wish it was less? Of course. But I don't think it's outrageous given that a VH4 is $4399. I've been looking forward to this amp for years, and mine comes on Monday.

Back