Bogner Ecstasy 20th anniversary vs?

Simon Dorn

Bogner Ecstasy 20th anniversary EL34 + cab vs 2203 for metal?
Will the Bogner cut through the mix?

I doubt it, cause i even had problems with the Uber + matching cab, but i'm already fed up with my 2203 + MF400 and much prefer my Rev F + matching cab nowadays.

But that's still kinda daily form dependant :D Now i'm looking for a nice amp and cab to replace the Marshall Halfstack.
Any advice? I boost them all, btw.

Regards,
Simon

Bogner Helios, best of both worlds.
I don’t have played 20th anni but 101B is very unfriedly for metal sound. Blue channel have too much low mids and red channel is mediocre at best. Even Shiva can make metal better.

I had a VH4, but sold it. But i have it on my radar, as well as a Soldano SLO100 (the old one). But that's 4k€ for a used amp.
One get a VH4 for around 17-1900€ here.
I read the Wizard is just a better Marshall 2555 diode clipper, but i never tried one.

I had an Helios Eclipse as well, but i used the "money back", after a few days.
But i think you are right. The Ecstasy is much too soft sounding for metal and wouldn't cut. I even had problems with that with the Uber.

Maybe i should try the Legendary Tones Hot Mod V2 first and i'm about to buy a used 1960AV for a good price. Will see if that works.

What about the Armored, Dover, Omega stuff? :D

Simon Dorn":hjmy3odv said:
I had a VH4, but sold it. But i have it on my radar, as well as a Soldano SLO100 (the old one). But that's 4k€ for a used amp.
One get a VH4 for around 17-1900€ here.
I read the Wizard is just a better Marshall 2555 diode clipper, but i never tried one.

I had an Helios Eclipse as well, but i used the "money back", after a few days.
But i think you are right. The Ecstasy is much too soft sounding for metal and wouldn't cut. I even had problems with that with the Uber.

Maybe i should try the Legendary Tones Hot Mod V2 first and i'm about to buy a used 1960AV for a good price. Will see if that works.

What about the Armored, Dover, Omega stuff? :D
I love a Jubilee..whether it's a 2554 50w combo or a 2555 big brother. Boosted it can do anything you want, including metal...well my definition of metal anyway lol. Which is more old school 80s.
But a Wizard is NOT a better Jubilee, at all. There are some similarities when it comes to the preamp section but the Wizard(any of them) have absolutely NO compression whatsoever, leading to unmatched clarity and string separation. The power section, at 100w feels more like 200w Imo and hits you like a sledgehammer in the face. I have a 180w C+ coliseum and as loud as it can get, the Wizard has a punch that even the Coli can't quite get. Hard to explain but while the Coli gets louder it doesn't have that punch like a Wizard. A MTL is more low mid focused and the MCI/II is more upper mid like a Marshall. But they are still different than a Marshall, and take boosts well. A boost will add some compression back in if you need some.
If you can grab one, highly recommend it as they are unlike any other amp I've ever played. It's a hard rock/metal amp that punches like an old vintage HiWatt as there are more similarities to that circuit than a Jubilee from what I've read.

Simon Dorn":16abmi0y said:
Will play one, when i have the chance! Thanks :)
Do you have any clips?
I don't; and my opinion on clips (I know it's all we have sometimes) is they just don't do amps justice; some you really have to be there to get it. The C+, SLO, Wizard are 3 examples of amps that when I heard clips I was "meh". But, based on user reviews/opinions I took the plunge and was glad I did. In the room they just crush..they have a unique harmonic thing going on in addition to the monster power sections. I first took notice of Wizard tone when I heard "The Pretty Reckless" live about 6 yrs ago. Best damn tone I'd ever heard live, no question.

Back