IIC+ and a mic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3520
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3520

People always tell me to try out a mic so I’m not using just the iPhone in a room. I tried it with my IIC+ and am curious if it helps or hurts the idea of tone. Advice?

Never recorded anything with a mic on my own, but I’m constantly told to try it out. Is it an improvement or not an improvement from regular bedroom volume phone recordings? The proximity is a whole new ball game. I put it where I typically have it for live playing as a start. Criticism, advice, thoughts, opinions, etc?

https://youtu.be/9lbQsUEF2Ls

I mean yeah, a good mic into a preamp into a good program is gonna sound better than an Iphone. It all depends on how professional you want your clips to sound and if you have the recording experience. Sadly, I have heard too many guys spend thousands on a recording setup, and in the end they should have just used an Iphone.

sutepaj":j0mncldp said:
I mean yeah, a good mic into a preamp into a good program is gonna sound better than an Iphone. It all depends on how professional you want your clips to sound and if you have the recording experience. Sadly, I have heard too many guys spend thousands on a recording setup, and in the end they should have just used an Iphone.

I meant to add a link, just edited.

So for someone like me who is not trying to be famous, not trying to have a following, not trying to be a YouTube Star, yada yada, I just like recording amps to help someone get an idea of the amp or tones similar to what I like. For me it’s just about maybe helping someone here and there find a tone they may like.

fatbagg":1shxpd7b said:
sutepaj":1shxpd7b said:

So for someone like me who is not trying to be famous, not trying to have a following, not trying to be a YouTube Star, yada yada, I just like recording amps to help someone get an idea of the amp or tones similar to what I like. For me it’s just about maybe helping someone here and there find a tone they may like.

It sounds good man, I think you captured a damn good tone there.

RaceU4her":16lnvd9w said:
sounds fine man. a sm57 on the edge of the dust cap is really all you need to do.

I think I’m going to order one. I have a Sennheiser
E906 on it now, not quite on the edge but close! I like the 906
For the three way cut/boost.

fatbagg":2j24bvw7 said:
RaceU4her":2j24bvw7 said:
sounds fine man. a sm57 on the edge of the dust cap is really all you need to do.

that mic is fine, the 57 is the standard though and i think what people are used to hearing. i dont know what you have for an interface but grab a 2i2 or something for $99 and you can use both mics, then at least you can record real clips

RaceU4her":d99a6ou6 said:
fatbagg":d99a6ou6 said:
RaceU4her":d99a6ou6 said:

that mic is fine, the 57 is the standard though and i think what people are used to hearing. i dont know what you have for an interface but grab a 2i2 or something for $99 and you can use both mics, then at least you can record real clips

Cool, I’ll look into it for sure. I’m just using the little Shure MV interface for iPhone currently.

Here's a couple examples I've done with explanations for reference. All with the same amp.

iPhone in the room. Honestly can be better in some ways than a lot of mic recordings.

Real mic through an iRig pre into the iPhone- Honestly not all that good. The volume ceiling is low.

SM57 & E609 into a Presonus Studio24c and mixed in Studio One (that comes free with the Presonus). Relatively cheap & IMO much better. Even with no post, hard panning two tracks makes a huge difference.

fatbagg":2494reez said:
People always tell me to try out a mic so I’m not using just the iPhone in a room. I tried it with my IIC+ and am curious if it helps or hurts the idea of tone. Advice?

Never recorded anything with a mic on my own, but I’m constantly told to try it out. Is it an improvement or not an improvement from regular bedroom volume phone recordings? The proximity is a whole new ball game. I put it where I typically have it for live playing as a start. Criticism, advice, thoughts, opinions, etc?

It does sound kinda distant though. Do you have a picture of where you placed the mic?

fatbagg":2lu6ligo said:
sutepaj":2lu6ligo said:

So for someone like me who is not trying to be famous, not trying to have a following, not trying to be a Star, yada yada, I just like recording amps to help someone get an idea of the amp or tones similar to what I like. For me it’s just about maybe helping someone here and there find a tone they may like.

Same here. I use a SM57 or a $15 Pyle mic I got on Amazon into an iRig Pre HD for all my clips. Mic > Pre > iPhone. Couldn’t be easier. I think they come out good enough to get a good idea about the amp.

guitarnerdswe":26csvgur said:
fatbagg":26csvgur said:

It does sound kinda distant though. Do you have a picture of where you placed the mic?

Here you go, any advice would be great!

https://imgur.com/gallery/1NILmzt

bubbastain":3sre3qda said:
fatbagg":3sre3qda said:
sutepaj":3sre3qda said:

So for someone like me who is not trying to be famous, not trying to have a following, not trying to be a Star, yada yada, I just like recording amps to help someone get an idea of the amp or tones similar to what I like. For me it’s just about maybe helping someone here and there find a tone they may like.

Same here. I use a SM57 or a $15 Pyle mic I got on Amazon into an iRig Pre HD for all my clips. Mic > Pre > iPhone. Couldn’t be easier. I think they come out good enough to get a good idea about the amp.

Nice, I might scoop one up!

When micing right at the cab I can tell differences down to 1/8" of movement. I'd suggest spending some time with a boom & a measuring tape to get it right where it sounds best to you, and then taping it off. X, Y & Z axis.

I did this to illustrate.

Back