Low Wattage Mid-gain vs. Hi-gain Tube Amps

So I'm the market for a low wattage tube amp, and a lot is going through my mind on the subject.

On one end it would be cool to have something that has a stellar clean and mid-gain sound. Something that has a good mid-gain crunch and a good clean can essentially be used as a pedal platform to get the ultra hi-gain stuff happening. Thing is, these amps, like say a Friedman JJ Jr. are pricey and will break the bank.

On the other end, really hi-gain amps like say a PRS Tremonti or Peavey Invective are a lot cheaper and have good hi-gain sounds, but not as much in between. I am dominantly a hi-gain metal head.

I've had Marshall, Soldano, and Splawn tube amps years ago, but I sold all that stuff a long time ago to focus on college and my career. I've just been playing through this 11 Rack for like 6 years. I'm at the point now where I want something different and cool to play at the house. Not trying to spend thousands and thousands of dollars though.

The Dover seems like a good option. There’s a 20 and 50 watt version. I’ve been wanting to try one since the clips sounded great. Way better to me than the Fortin Sigil and other low wattage high gainers

Also the 25 watt Marshall Jubilee could be another very solid option. That’s probably been my favorite of the low watt high gainers that I’ve tried so far, but I’m sure others here have explored the low wattage stuff more than I have

Those may be the best 2 I can think of. Maybe also the low watt boogie like the mini recto and mark v 25 or mini Engls like Iron Ball and Fireball 25. I remember the Orange OR15 also being one of the better lunchbox options and more affordable than others (especially used)

The Dover and Fortin Sigil both seem like great recommendations! I did not know the Fortin Sigil was actually in the affordable range. I'm looking up clips of both amps and am liking what I'm hearing. Seems so far the Fortin has more bottom end, but that's just based on the clips I've listened to so far.

I don’t know about that. The Fortin sigil clips I heard sounded sterile and filtered compared to that of the Dover which sounded more lively, organic and aggressive to my ears and also more versatile. I wasn’t actually recommending the Fortin. I haven’t played either amp myself, so I won’t jump to any conclusions, but that’s what the clips tell me

The other amps I mentioned before I actually tried, but admittedly have never been too interested in lunchbox amps for my needs

Another suggestion. If you got a Suhr Reactive Load or Fryette PS (or other reactive loads), then you could play whatever amp you wanted and not limited to low-wattage.

What are you playing your 11Rack through?

If you are looking for a low wattage tube amp in the Marshall camp that can do clean, mid gain crunch and about jcm800 80's amount of gain maybe the Kahn Pak amp might interest you, There is two models, a single channel and a two channel amp, both 18 watts with a Master volume and an effects loop. I've listened to this amp and it is about as Marshall as Marshall gets, and seems to sound more like a 50 watter. Street price on used ones are usually 600-700 range, I seen the new retail price has gone up since introduced. Kahn builds some nice stuff, he designed for Crate and his own companies, Reason, and now Kahn. He plays a 68 Marshall plexi so he knows the tone he wanted with these. The JJ jr also sounds good, more like a bigger amp and meets your criteria. Both the JJ and this amp for low wattage amps have impressed me by their sound. I have not played either in person so YMMV. Every low wattage amp I have played in person always sound small without the headroom or balls of a full size head, especially EL84 power tube driven amps.

I seen you are a Metal player so maybe the PRS Tremonti MT15 amp, for 600 bones it has everything you need, two channels effects loop and it runs two 6L6's and sounds like a 50 watter to my ears. Errrrrrrrrrrrrl has one here on RT he recorded it and it sounded absolutely killer recorded.

Here's errrrl's clips maybe PM him, I think the amp sound awesome.

braintheory - You have me very interested in the Dover. I have seen good clips like the NAMM clips, but some others were not as great. If you could post a clip or two that would be amazing.

stratjacket - Not really looking to surf through 100 watt amps. Just want things I can play at home. I'm no pro, just a hobbyist. I play the 11 Rack through JBL studio monitors with a sub. I have a 1x12 Tech 21 FRFR cab, but it's in the closet and I don't use it because I think it sounds fine through the studio monitors. I just want an actual amp now...

harddriver - The Kahn Pak does not really look like my thing. I like those PRS Tremonti clips though (What movie is that 2nd clip from?). I actually have played one of those and they're pretty cool. I'm not set to pull the trigger on anything yet though!

I recently picked up a Marshall mini Jube and then last night a JJ Jr. Both are fantastic. Way more low end than I expected out of both of them to keep a nice full tone. Haven't tried the others mentioned but the MT15 sounds good on the clips I have heard but not much in the way of mid gain.

The PRS MT15 is a killer amp for the price. Great clean channel and kick ass high gain. It doesn't do the mid gain thing very well but with the right settings and maybe different OD pedals you could get that pretty easy. I highly recommend it.

ShredHeadJHJ":3lyk0p6m said:
stratjacket - Not really looking to surf through 100 watt amps. Just want things I can play at home. I'm no pro, just a hobbyist. I play the 11 Rack through JBL studio monitors with a sub. I have a 1x12 Tech 21 FRFR cab, but it's in the closet and I don't use it because I think it sounds fine through the studio monitors. I just want an actual amp now...

If you did get a Suhr Reactive Load or Two-Notes or something similar, then you could come out of that into your JBL studio monitors. Then any amp up to 100W is in play now and in the future. Just a suggestion and still convenient if you want to record.

$1400 lands you on a brand new Splawn Supersport Combo. I have the head and 2x12" and I love it. It preforms great midgain and with the loop volume control even half decently without being loud. Two gears and OD1/OD2 on the footswitch as well as dirt/clean. It's hard to beat at the price IMO. Comes with a Splawn small block which matches it quite well IMO. And as all Splawn goes, good quality and components, good iron and the cabinet quality is top notch IMO.

swamptrashstompboxes":3i4apazg said:
$1400 lands you on a brand new Splawn Supersport Combo. I have the head and 2x12" and I love it. It preforms great midgain and with the loop volume control even half decently without being loud. Two gears and OD1/OD2 on the footswitch as well as dirt/clean. It's hard to beat at the price IMO. Comes with a Splawn small block which matches it quite well IMO. And as all Splawn goes, good quality and components, good iron and the cabinet quality is top notch IMO.

I had Scott build me a custom Quick Rod 100w back in around 2009-ish. I believe my QR was the first gen where he used the loop volume. I like Splawn still, and have kept him in the back of my head, but I really am looking for something different. If anything I would get a low watt version of the Nitro - if he'll even do that. But of all the things talked about, I've been looking at more and more clips of the Dover 20w, and I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on it... But I think I should think through it over the weekend...

I'm thinking I would be best off with something that is ultra hi-gain from the start. The JJ Jr. was originally one of my first considerations, but I don't think that has the gain structure I am looking for.

I'll just add that you said low wattage but I would consider the EVH 50 watt head as well. Its smaller in size at 50 watts, but will have everything you are asking for pretty much. It also behaves better at lower volumes than a lot of the small wattage amps.

Apex1Rg7X":1k4b9n0n said:
I'll just add that you said low wattage but I would consider the EVH 50 watt head as well. Its smaller in size at 50 watts, but will have everything you are asking for pretty much. It also behaves better at lower volumes than a lot of the small wattage amps.

EVH does have 20 watters I believe...

ShredHeadJHJ":2vkss82z said:
Apex1Rg7X":2vkss82z said:

EVH does have 20 watters I believe...

15watts .. lunch box

Personally I would look at the Katana stuff ... great price point and sounds awesome minus tubes/valves but pretty hard to hear the difference

sytharnia1560":3tgejzu3 said:
your first mistake is pairing anything with a 1x12 ... you have 2 ears so a 2x12 is the minimum requirement :LOL: :LOL:

Playing at home, all I need to do is push one speaker.

Back