Power conditionner vs voltage regulator

Hello everybody ! I have a rack rig and I want to prevent any potential issues related to spikes and surges.

I have the choice between Furman PL 8 E Series II and Furman AR 2306. I understand that the AR regulates the voltage and keeps it steady.
Yet I'm lost and my questions are :
What do you think of both these units ?
If you were me, which one would you go for ?

I believe the AR 2306 is also a Power conditioner along with being a voltage regulator. I have the Furman AR-1215 that I bought many years ago and it was well worth the investment.

Duke of Metal":ummc9xil said:
I believe the AR 2306 is also a Power conditioner along with being a voltage regulator. I have the Furman AR-1215 that I bought many years ago and it was well worth the investment.

Yes actually you are right ! I read the specs of the AR 2306 and it seems it's a power conditionner too ! Now I try to pick only one and I don't know if the PL-8 E SERIES II is enough or maybe I should get the AR 2306 which might be overkill ?

highgainer":1plys1n1 said:
Duke of Metal":1plys1n1 said:

Yes actually you are right ! I read the specs of the AR 2306 and it seems it's a power conditionner too ! Now I try to pick only one and I don't know if the PL-8 E SERIES II is enough or maybe I should get the AR 2306 which might be overkill ?
what equipment would you be using this with?

To be honest (some people may call me crazy), but after I got my AR-1215 (which I still have), I started to notice my amp's sound/tone was ALOT more consistent no matter where I took it regardless of venue's power situation.

now this is not going to fix 60 cycle hums, etc.. but at least you'll know your equipment is protected.

Good luck

AR-15 II is what I have, actually 2 or 3 of them. Great for maintaining voltage to amplifiers.
Anything with tubes would like to see consistent voltage.

The question is, if you are using a rack, do you need a voltage regulator?
Amps need consistent voltage, yet other gear may not need the same.

I have used the older PL8 plus units, and they offer multiple outlets and power conditioning for racks that are made up of effects and/or other units.
The Voltage Regulators are a different animal and will offer you consistent voltages to your gear that needs that.

So, it really depends on your needs.
For amplifiers, definitely recommend a Voltage Regulator :thumbsup:

Duke of Metal":2lt9bavz said:
highgainer":2lt9bavz said:
Duke of Metal":2lt9bavz said:

what equipment would you be using this with?

To be honest (some people may call me crazy), but after I got my AR-1215 (which I still have), I started to notice my amp's sound/tone was ALOT more consistent no matter where I took it regardless of venue's power situation.

now this is not going to fix 60 cycle hums, etc.. but at least you'll know your equipment is protected.

Good luck

Your comment makes sense and is inline with some reviews which state that tube amplifiers were consistent night after night while plugged into voltage regulators such as Furman 1215 and 2306. If the AR 2306 does everything the PL 8 E Series II is designed to do in addition to voltage regulation then it's a winner ! But the PL-8 E SERIES II WILL not sacrifice it self while preventing a surge, it offers maintenance free surge protection. I don't know if it's the same for the AR 2306 ?

GtarLover":1jm6w3qa said:
AR-15 II is what I have, actually 2 or 3 of them. Great for maintaining voltage to amplifiers.
Anything with tubes would like to see consistent voltage.

The question is, if you are using a rack, do you need a voltage regulator?
Amps need consistent voltage, yet other gear may not need the same.

I have used the older PL8 plus units, and they offer multiple outlets and power conditioning for racks that are made up of effects and/or other units.
The Voltage Regulators are a different animal and will offer you consistent voltages to your gear that needs that.

So, it really depends on your needs.
For amplifiers, definitely recommend a Voltage Regulator :thumbsup:
My rig consists of a Rocktron Piranha, a Rocktron Intellifex Blackface, Rocktron Hush super c and a Mesaboogie Fifty/Fifty. From what I understand right now the AR 2306 is also a power conditioner, right ? With maintenance free surge protection ?

The mesa 50/50 being a tube power amp will appreciate having its voltage regulated.

What's the price difference between the 2 units you're looking at?

Duke of Metal":23nuv0pz said:
The mesa 50/50 being a tube power amp will appreciate having its voltage regulated.

Yes if my poweramp was solid state I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I would make sure to give surge free clean power to the Fifty/Fifty.

The PL 8 E Series II is 150 €, this is a new old stock, never used, brand new in the box.

The AR 2306 is 200 €, used but overall in good shape.

highgainer":3f5acbyw said:
Duke of Metal":3f5acbyw said:

Yes if my poweramp was solid state I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I would make sure to give surge free clean power to the Fifty/Fifty.

The PL 8 E Series II is 150 €, this is a new old stock, never used, brand new in the box.

honestly, if it were me and in fact, it was me (LOL).. I went for the AP-1215 voltage regulator. I could've bought many other models of Power Conditioners but opted out on the AP unit, even though it was used.

Cheers

Duke of Metal":3pofs27b said:
highgainer":3pofs27b said:
Duke of Metal":3pofs27b said:

honestly, if it were me and in fact, it was me (LOL).. I went for the AP-1215 voltage regulator. I could've bought many other models of Power Conditioners but opted out on the AP unit, even though it was used.

Cheers

I appreciate a lot your answer !
I wonder if there is a big or no difference between the AR 1215 and the AR 2306 !

Also, is the AR 2306 maintenance free ? The PL 8 E SERIES II does not sacrifice it self when stopping surges and it keeps working. I wonder if the AR 2306 metal oxide varistors withstand high capacity current and keep working in despite of the impact of an electrical surge or spike ?

highgainer":1e3mbsqd said:
I wonder if there is a big or no difference between the AR 1215 and the AR 2306 !

Also, is the AR 2306 maintenance free ? The PL 8 E SERIES II does not sacrifice it self when stopping surges and it keeps working. I wonder if the AR 2306 metal oxide varistors withstand high capacity current and keep working in despite of the impact of an electrical surge or spike ?

Here's what I got from the AR-1215 manual.,.. it looks like they're the same "series", just different models. gives some differences below.
https://www.furmanpower.com/sites/furmanpower.com/files/_/Furman-Pro-AV/ar-1215_manual.pdf

● AR-1215 and AR-1215J provide nine regulated, conditioned AC outlets—eight on the rear panel and one on the front
● AR-1215 and AR-1215J input capacity is 15 A; output capacity is 12 to 15 A
● AR-2306 provides eleven regulated, conditioned AC outlets—ten on the rear panel and one on the front
● AR-2306 input capacity is 6 A; output capacity is 5 to 6 A
● Usable range for most equipment is an additional 10% above and below the ranges shown in the table below
● Extreme overvoltage or under voltage causes instant shutdown, protecting equipment
● Extreme Voltage Shutdown indicator LED
● Output In Regulation indicator
● Ten-LED bar graph input voltmeter
● Fast-acting user-accessible circuit breaker protects against overload or shorts
● Very low stray magnetic field leakage
● On/off switch
● Output voltage selector switch (AR-1215J and AR-2306 only)
● Compact, lightweight unit weighs only 12 lbs. (5.5 kg)

Duke of Metal":13o8hfas said:
highgainer":13o8hfas said:

Here's what I got from the AR-1215 manual.,.. it looks like they're the same "series", just different models. gives some differences below.
https://www.furmanpower.com/sites/furmanpower.com/files/_/Furman-Pro-AV/ar-1215_manual.pdf

● AR-1215 and AR-1215J provide nine regulated, conditioned AC outlets—eight on the rear panel and one on the front
● AR-1215 and AR-1215J input capacity is 15 A; output capacity is 12 to 15 A
● AR-2306 provides eleven regulated, conditioned AC outlets—ten on the rear panel and one on the front
● AR-2306 input capacity is 6 A; output capacity is 5 to 6 A
● Usable range for most equipment is an additional 10% above and below the ranges shown in the table below
● Extreme overvoltage or under voltage causes instant shutdown, protecting equipment
● Extreme Voltage Shutdown indicator LED
● Output In Regulation indicator
● Ten-LED bar graph input voltmeter
● Fast-acting user-accessible circuit breaker protects against overload or shorts
● Very low stray magnetic field leakage
● On/off switch
● Output voltage selector switch (AR-1215J and AR-2306 only)
● Compact, lightweight unit weighs only 12 lbs. (5.5 kg)

Duke Of Metal, thank you so much for feeding this thread with valuable infos.
From what I understand, the AR 2306 is meant for the European market (230 V) while the AR 1215 is for North America (120 V)
Now my only concern is about the power conditioning abilities of the AR series. It's true that on the face plate we can read Power Conditioning. But I'm not sure if one can rely on the AR series as a proper surge protector power conditioner since it seems that Furman advises to use the AR series in conjunction with the PL series. Thus I wonder if it's possible to use the AR 2306-1215 by it self as a power conditioner and voltage regulator or should I use it in tandem with another power conditioner such as the PL8 Series II !

This is what I found in the manual:
"If you wish to monitor your AR-1215’s output voltage more precisely, you may want to use a Furman PL-PLUS Power Conditioner and Light Module in conjunction with it [use model PL-PLUS-E with model AR-2306].
The PL-PLUS is the perfect complement to a Furman Voltage Regulator to assist in rack power distribution."

highgainer":10r3suvh said:
From what I understand, the AR 2306 is meant for the European market (230 V) while the AR 1215 is for North America (120 V)
Now my only concern is about the power conditioning abilities of the AR series. It's true that on the face plate we can read Power Conditioning. But I'm not sure if one can rely on the AR series as a proper surge protector power conditioner since it seems that Furman advises to use the AR series in conjunction with the PL series. Thus I wonder if it's possible to use the AR 2306-1215 by it self as a power conditioner and voltage regulator or should I use it in tandem with another power conditioner such as the PL8 Series II !

"If you wish to monitor your AR-1215’s output voltage more precisely, you may want to use a Furman PL-PLUS Power Conditioner and Light Module in conjunction with it [use model PL-PLUS-E with model AR-2306].
The PL-PLUS is the perfect complement to a Furman Voltage Regulator to assist in rack power distribution."
No problem buddy.. happy to help.

I am not sure why Furman would tell customers to use an additional Power Conditioner with a Voltage regulator/Power Conditioner. They advertise the AR-1215 as a Voltage regulator/Power Conditioner. In fact, in their AR-1215 manual they say "The AR-1215 also features power conditioning that is truly in a class by itself"
https://www.furmanpower.com/sites/furma ... asheet.pdf

So I am a bit of a loss. Perhaps what they meant by "The PL-PLUS is the perfect complement to a Furman Voltage Regulator to assist in rack power distribution." is you can piggy back a PL-Plus Power Conditioner on the AR series if you require additional plugs. the AR-1215 has 8 outlets on the back, say if you require more than that, then you can plug a PL series Power Conditioner into one of the outlets to have additional plugs and the PL series will get voltage regulation from the AR series.

At least that's the way I am looking at it.

Duke of Metal":h2a5j4rp said:
highgainer":h2a5j4rp said:

I am not sure why Furman would tell customers to use an additional Power Conditioner with a Voltage regulator/Power Conditioner. They advertise the AR-1215 as a Voltage regulator/Power Conditioner. In fact, in their AR-1215 manual they say "The AR-1215 also features power conditioning that is truly in a class by itself"

So I am a bit of a loss. Perhaps what they meant by "The PL-PLUS is the perfect complement to a Furman Voltage Regulator to assist in rack power distribution." is you can piggy back a PL-Plus Power Conditioner on the AR series if you require additional plugs. the AR-1215 has 8 outlets on the back, say if you require more than that, then you can plug a PL series Power Conditioner into one of the outlets to have additional plugs and the PL series will get voltage regulation from the AR series.

I tend to agree with what you say about adding the PL PLUS only if there is a need for additional plugs ! During my web search I came across many comments which confirmed that the AR 1215-2306 do both power conditioning and voltage regulating, but it looks that both have sacrificial components (MOVs ) which must be replaced after they take a power surge! Other models like the PL 8 eseries II use the SMP technology that is maintenance free. If the AR series have sacrificial components (varistors) that need to be replaced after they take a powerful surge then it's such a deal breaker ! I would love to get a voltage regulator with power conditioning functions, but if it's maintenance free like the PL 8 series II it would be great !

highgainer":3vsqy15p said:
Duke of Metal":3vsqy15p said:
highgainer":3vsqy15p said:

I tend to agree with what you say about adding the PL PLUS only if there is a need for additional plugs ! During my web search I came across many comments which confirmed that the AR 1215-2306 do both power conditioning and voltage regulating, but it looks that both have sacrificial components (MOVs ) which must be replaced after they take a power surge! Other models like the PL 8 eseries II use the SMP technology that is maintenance free. If the AR series have sacrificial components (varistors) that need to be replaced after they take a powerful surge then it's such a deal breaker ! I would love to get a voltage regulator with power conditioning functions, but if it's maintenance free like the PL 8 series II it would be great !
I was using it yesterday during a jam.. i should've checked. I am gonna be out of town for a week, I can check for you when I get back.

Thanks

Duke of Metal":37fht42l said:
highgainer":37fht42l said:
Duke of Metal":37fht42l said:
highgainer":37fht42l said:

I was using it yesterday during a jam.. i should've checked. I am gonna be out of town for a week, I can check for you when I get back.

Thanks

I'll be glad to know what you think ! Although some comments made me realize that the AR 1215 has sacrificial components and may give up the ghost when dealing with surge and spikes, unlike non sacrificial new furman power conditioners which keep working.

highgainer":2j877bad said:
Duke of Metal":2j877bad said:
Duke of Metal":2j877bad said:

Thanks

I'll be glad to know what you think ! Although some comments made me realize that the AR 1215 has sacrificial components and may give up the ghost when dealing with surge and spikes, unlike non sacrificial new furman power conditioners which keep working.
Sorry buddy.. forgot about this. But Luckily I have the furman here at home. On the back of it, there's a 15A what appears to be a breaker switch? see pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_224959.jpg
    IMG_20200725_224959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 417
Duke of Metal":2xlw1wa0 said:
highgainer":2xlw1wa0 said:

Thanks

Sorry buddy.. forgot about this. But Luckily I have the furman here at home. On the back of it, there's a 15A what appears to be a breaker switch? see pic attached.

Thanks a lot man for chiming in ! Yes that's definitely a breaker switch ! It means that each time the unit stops after preventing a serious damage you just turn back the breaker switch to it's initial position and it goes from there !

There you go buddy.. happy to help. hope that helps your decision making.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Back