ENGL Artist Edition

• Thread starter Deleted member 3520
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3520

So I’m adjusting to this amp, and I am absolutely digging it. I have the Steve Morse already, and the lead channels can be similar, but the Artist is a little bigger of an overall signal where the Morse is a little cleaner. The Morse is a tad more
Forgiving to play. Both killer. The Artist definitely has some wonder ENGL signature qualities wrapped around a very Marshall style presence and placement. When you think about how it was being designed for Doug Aldrich as his signature amp, it really does share tone with a lot of the Modded Marshall flavors out there, with this beautiful ENGL character. I’ve only played one (two but I only count one) Cameron, and this kind of reminds me of that direction (Modded Marshall style), but definitely an ENGL. I e had plants of amps 2-3 times this price range that this thing stomps all over, for me and for what I want from an amp. That’s just my opinion, or bashing any other amp or saying this is better, just for me.

https://youtu.be/uPglYuG3-DY

fatbagg":3rwh4w2i said:
So I’m adjusting to this amp, and I am absolutely digging it. I have the Steve Morse already, and the lead channels can be similar, but the Artist is a little bigger of an overall signal where the Morse is a little cleaner. The Morse is a tad more
Forgiving to play. Both killer. The Artist definitely has some wonder ENGL signature qualities wrapped around a very Marshall style presence and placement. When you think about how it was being designed for Doug Aldrich as his signature amp, it really does share tone with a lot of the Modded Marshall flavors out there, with this beautiful ENGL character. I’ve only played one (two but I only count one) Cameron, and this kind of reminds me of that direction (Modded Marshall style), but definitely an ENGL. I e had plants of amps 2-3 times this price range that this thing stomps all over, for me and for what I want from an amp. That’s just my opinion, or bashing any other amp or saying this is better, just for me.

https://youtu.be/uPglYuG3-DY
Nice. That is the one Engl(Blackmore also) that I've been tempted to try; since as you said it is more Marshally than other Engls, more open/less compressed. When they pop up used for 1200 from time to time I always consider it.

Yeah I’ve been eyeballing these amps lately. Curious to hear more of your thoughts on it as you get familiar with it. Love me some DA tones and imagine this amp kicks ass

I played one years ago and remember liking it a lot. I've owned the FB100, Savage120, and Blackmore and my fav of those is the Savage 120, but I always wanted to own the AE.

Mine sounds killer. Still VERY happy with it. It's very Marshall flavored, much like the Retro I owned, yet richer in harmonics, and aggressive. Super tight with a boost. I could see Aldrich digging it.

It's a tad like a Splawn on OD2, but less honky, with plenty of mids. A touch more aggressive as well. Boosted, it gets downright brutal. It's a beast. To be fair, I retubed mine with JJ KT77's. Added some punch and aggression.

[/quote]
Nice. That is the one Engl(Blackmore also) that I've been tempted to try; since as you said it is more Marshally than other Engls, more open/less compressed. When they pop up used for 1200 from time to time I always consider it.[/quote]

It is defiantly more open than most. It’s a very full/thick amp, really a strong sound while still being clean. Killer killer amp, I’m absolutely shocked.

Bxlxaxkxe":23kxe4m8 said:
Yeah I’ve been eyeballing these amps lately. Curious to hear more of your thoughts on it as you get familiar with it. Love me some DA tones and imagine this amp kicks ass

Doing some Gary Moore, Whitesnake, and some Joe B it sits in a mix incredibly well. Really just a rich and killer tone and feel.

MetalHeadMike":19mprgvk said:
I played one years ago and remember liking it a lot. I've owned the FB100, Savage120, and Blackmore and my fav of those is the Savage 120, but I always wanted to own the AE.

It’s a killer amp. If you likes the Savage, the Morse is pretty similar, just with some open Marshall vibes mixed in.

napalmdeath":3w1b5bts said:
Mine sounds killer. Still VERY happy with it. It's very Marshall flavored, much like the Retro I owned, yet richer in harmonics, and aggressive. Super tight with a boost. I could see Aldrich digging it.

It's a tad like a Splawn on OD2, but less honky, with plenty of mids. A touch more aggressive as well. Boosted, it gets downright brutal. It's a beast. To be fair, I retubed mine with JJ KT77's. Added some punch and aggression.

I am shocked how much I like it. It is a great amp, really just shear killer
Tones! When I was looking I actually read through some of your posts about it!

guitarnerdswe":2zg25x3e said:
Hell yeah! Sounds much better than the IIC+ clip. A bit too much reverb for my tastes, but good sounding none the less.

Cool man, thank you! Yea, the loop on the AE had a wet/dry knob and I haven’t quite dialed it right yet. I’m either case, yea, the AE is huge sounding, just an all around badass!

fatbagg":i69hy0kn said:
guitarnerdswe":i69hy0kn said:
Hell yeah! Sounds much better than the IIC+ clip. A bit too much reverb for my tastes, but good sounding none the less.

Cool man, thank you! Yea, the loop on the AE had a wet/dry knob and I haven’t quite dialed it right yet. I’m either case, yea, the AE is huge sounding, just an all around badass!

I run mine 100% wet, but I use an RP1000 in the loop for FX. You just have to dial back your levels on the FX themselves. I find the loop to be excellent. The noise gate is as well. ZERO hiss, even with a boost.

I put a GE 5751 in V2, and it really brought more definition.

My tube set-up is:
V1 Tungsol 12AX7
V2 JAN/GE 5751
V3 JJ ECC83S
V4 JJ ECC83S balanced
JJ KT77's in the power section. Mine's very aggressive sounding!

napalmdeath":2p690hgd said:
fatbagg":2p690hgd said:
guitarnerdswe":2p690hgd said:

I run mine 100% wet, but I use an RP1000 in the loop for FX. You just have to dial back your levels on the FX themselves. I find the loop to be excellent. The noise gate is as well. ZERO hiss, even with a boost.

I put a GE 5751 in V2, and it really brought more definition.

My tube set-up is:
V1 Tungsol 12AX7
V2 JAN/GE 5751
V3 JJ ECC83S
V4 JJ ECC83S balanced
JJ KT77's in the power section. Mine's very aggressive sounding!

I just realized I think it’s the same loop setup as my Morse, which would be awesome. Thank you.

I’ll try the 5751 in v2!

Glad you are digging it man. It's a killer amp, my favorite ENGL I've owned so far of the few I've owned lol. Agree, ENGL with a Marshall flavor.

A lot of amps have that Resonance knob and this one doesn't. How does it do in the punch/oomph department without one? At low and higher volumes?

Junk Yard Dog":1n9kjykt said:
A lot of amps have that Resonance knob and this one doesn't. How does it do in the punch/oomph department without one? At low and higher volumes?
The artist has plenty of low end and punch, I actually sold this amp to fatbagg...and just a very nice, tight amp IMO. I had the same concerns originally when I bought it about no resonance knob and once I dialed in my tone I didn't miss it all. It really is IMO a perfect blend of ENGL and Marshall. Low volume playing was fantastic...again another concern of mine since it's hard to open up my amps now but it sounded great at low volume. Opening the amp up though, again great. I really cannot say enough good things about this amp and "will probably" own one again.

jabps":8f9jgand said:
Junk Yard Dog":8f9jgand said:
The artist has plenty of low end and punch, I actually sold this amp to fatbagg...and just a very nice, tight amp IMO. I had the same concerns originally when I bought it about no resonance knob and once I dialed in my tone I didn't miss it all. It really is IMO a perfect blend of ENGL and Marshall. Low volume playing was fantastic...again another concern of mine since it's hard to open up my amps now but it sounded great at low volume. Opening the amp up though, again great. I really cannot say enough good things about this amp and "will probably" own one again.

I love mine. Perfect blend of Marshall, and pissed. Really obnoxious with EMG's, and it absolutely LOVES my VFE Dragon. As much as I liked my Splawns, the Artist just has that "it" factor that they didn't. Lead tones are absolutely ridiculous. It's extremely expressive, raw and dynamic. It's like Marshall made a Fireball, with EL34's.

I'm very curious about these amps.

I'm also looking at the Retro, sounds awesome IMO in this demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_nq8eqj-vc

I found a good deal on a Retro 50, and now I'm wondering if the 50 sounds a lot different to the Retro 100? I'd hope the 50 is not much saggier. (I'd only use it for recording/at home)

I'm looking for a nice grindy rhythm sound, so I'm not sure if the Retro would be too oldschool, but in the demo it's plenty modern.

@napalmdeath Did you have the Retro 100 or 50? Which would you prefer for metal rhythm?

Back