Mesa IIC+ Coliseum Clip

Would love to hear/play one in person but there's nothing in the tone of this clip that wows me tbh. That's not knocking your playing one bit, just nothing unique in the tone to my ears. Clips are clips though and I bet in the room it's a beast.

MetalHeadMike":1b44ityg said:
Would love to hear/play one in person but there's nothing in the tone of this clip that wows me tbh. That's not knocking your playing one bit, just nothing unique in the tone to my ears. Clips are clips though and I bet in the room it's a beast.
Not aiming this at you Mike, but this is similar to the 'Wizards don't wow me, just listen to the clips' statements I've heard over and over, or 'SLO clips sound like a 6505!' thing. As you stated, you really have to be there. Hard to try these amps out since there are so few made(600 total Coliseums, 80 or so C+ Coliseums) so you have to take a leap of faith about what guys say about them. Ultimately though you have to like a Mesa Mark tone to begin with.
I know the Wizards wow you! :thumbsup:
:rock:

Do these amps (C+ across all power levels) dial in differently? Do they seem 'cleaner' for lack of a better word as you go up in power? Does the Presence control act differently?

Reason I ask is because the settings shown in the video are way different than what I'm used to seeing with C+ or what I use. Presence is way low and Treble is kind of low too (these amps can take some extreme settings). The Treble control is 'almost' like a gain control and Presence control really opens it up and lets it breathe. Don't get me wrong it sounds good and the playing is good as always but I think it could be dialed in more...interesting.

SpiderWars":348x64na said:
Do these amps (C+ across all power levels) dial in differently? Do they seem 'cleaner' for lack of a better word as you go up in power? Does the Presence control act differently?

Reason I ask is because the settings shown in the video are way different than what I'm used to seeing with C+ or what I use. Presence is way low and Treble is kind of low too (these amps can take some extreme settings). The Treble control is 'almost' like a gain control and Presence control really opens it up and lets it breathe. Don't get me wrong it sounds good and the playing is good as always but I think it could be dialed in more...interesting.

I can’t really speak to anything beyond the two I have. But yes, they do have to be dialed in differently (DRG and KG). The Coli has an extended bandwidth- lower lows and higher highs. The Coli has a lot of high end available compared to my DRG.

Let me ask you this- do you feel like the clip doesn’t have enough high end or brightness? I went back and forth on some settings and settled on what you see/hear. My buddy said he thinks it needs more high end, I almost feel like it has a touch too much.

I’m still learning this amp and I agree that I haven’t got it nailed down yet in the recording. The tones I’m getting in the room are ridiculous. I would love to capture what’s going on in the room but it’s really eluding me at this point.

It's not so much the brightness but more the raw/aggressive gain structure. The Treble being before the overdrive means that it acts as much like a gain control on the lead channel. And the Presence up higher gives you that bouncy/raw character. But this is coming from an SRG owner so they might just be different animals.

SpiderWars":31slwxa8 said:
It's not so much the brightness but more the raw/aggressive gain structure. The Treble being before the overdrive means that it acts as much like a gain control on the lead channel. And the Presence up higher gives you that bouncy/raw character. But this is coming from an SRG owner so they might just be different animals.

Yea. What I’m asking is without paying to attention to where any controls are set and just listening, is it lacking aggression or brightness/rawness. I don’t think so but we’re all different. What I want to capture more of is the size/footprint.

That bounce is less inherent in the K. The power section is much more immediate and just straight to the face.

Bxlxaxkxe":3id7juyi said:
SpiderWars":3id7juyi said:

Yea. What I’m asking is without paying to attention to where any controls are set and just listening, is it lacking aggression or brightness/rawness. I don’t think so but we’re all different. What I want to capture more of is the size/footprint.

That bounce is less inherent in the K. The power section is much more immediate and just straight to the face.
The higher the power, less the bouncy feel. That's been my experience with my first, an SRG; two HRGs and now the Coliseum. It's still there, but just a bit less of it. The SRG was my best overall tone of the 4, but the others still have amazing tone. The Coliseum power section when pushed just lays waste to the others with the end result being so hifi/3D at volume, it raises the hair on my arms it sounds so good. If you don't really have the opportunity to push the master on these amps then I'd recommend finding an SRG. If you can turn up, even if it's for a short time then the Coli is worth every penny.
I always pull vol 1, maxed, treble pulled, maxed and pull deep, with the other pull brights engaged. V shaped GEQ, and presence usually between 7-10. But when I crank it up I drop the presence down to 3-5 as it gets much brighter with volume, like most amps. Clips don't reflect the harmonic swirl that happens with these amps, hard to describe but it's there. They are tons of fun to play.

Racerxrated":vr1yyt60 said:
Bxlxaxkxe":vr1yyt60 said:
SpiderWars":vr1yyt60 said:

The higher the power, less the bouncy feel. That's been my experience with my first, an SRG; two HRGs and now the Coliseum. It's still there, but just a bit less of it. The SRG was my best overall tone of the 4, but the others still have amazing tone. The Coliseum power section when pushed just lays waste to the others with the end result being so hifi/3D at volume, it raises the hair on my arms it sounds so good. If you don't really have the opportunity to push the master on these amps then I'd recommend finding an SRG. If you can turn up, even if it's for a short time then the Coli is worth every penny.
I always pull vol 1, maxed, treble pulled, maxed and pull deep, with the other pull brights engaged. V shaped GEQ, and presence usually between 7-10. But when I crank it up I drop the presence down to 3-5 as it gets much brighter with volume, like most amps. Clips don't reflect the harmonic swirl that happens with these amps, hard to describe but it's there. They are tons of fun to play.

Well put and lines up exactly with what I’m learning about the K.

You savages and your maxed gain :rock:

Back