Mesa IIC+ Coliseum Clip

GJgo":2fuecdw0 said:
Racerxrated":2fuecdw0 said:
GJgo":2fuecdw0 said:
I've found that while Marks can get you the best ever tone in the room when playing by (with?) yourself, they are a challenge to get that same tone in the band mix & quite difficult to get the same tone recorded without a shitload of post. Every time I record a song with any Mark I inevitably spend 1-2 hours turning knobs & cussing trying to get a recorded tone I'm happy with. And then I end up settling & fixing it in post.

I still remember when I was in "all C++ all the time" mode & took one of them to a band rehearsal for the first time, I was shocked at how at full scoop the amp still sounded boxy & not as metal as the other guitarist's solid state amp & modeling pedalboard.

Out of all the Marks I've had only one (the B+ Coli) did it for me in the band mix and only one (the C+ SR) did it for me recording. To be fair I didn't have a chance to try the IVa or the JP in either of those settings. To be honest that factory SR was the best natural tone of all the IIs I've had, but the Coli is just a destroyer of worlds. I've debated trying to buy the SR back, or maybe getting a IVb. Or just being done.

I totally get that the Wizard & SLO have the same "recording fail" phenomenon. I can kind of hear it in the clips. So, with those I like to focus on what I hear in the gain structure because that comes across fine- it's the body & 3-dimensionality that does not record well. I'm still interested in a Wizard some day but I just can't see the SLO gain structure for metal. TBH I've never liked the brown sound though.

The C+ KRG is without question the king of the Mark hill. The K power section is so emotionally amazing that my B+ ultimately displaced all 4 of my IIC+. The experience that I've had sums up like this- Marks are the hot chick that you keep dating even though she's kind of psychotic. It's a roller coaster.
If you mean gear forum 'clips' then yes there aren't many decent SLO/Wizard clips out there. But plenty of pro records have them. Pretty Reckless have a great recorded Wizard tone; and Ratt/Warren Haynes/Lynch Mob plus others I forget have pretty nice SLO tones. But if we listen to clips of Coliseums they are Ok at best; but we know better since we own them.
But these issues are why I just don't care or judge any amp based on a clip. I've bought amps base on clips only to return them quickly; while other amps I've bought based on rep and damn glad I did.

The other day I finally got what I think is a solid recorded tone that's straight KRG. Or, my ears might just be burnt out. LOL it was about 110 dB in the room which is where the amp starts to wake up. I just have guitar & vocals tracked on the song so far but I can post a clip if anyone wants to hear it.
Post it, brotha! :rock:

Cool, here you go. It'll give Blake & Tom a marker to do better than since mine's just a lowly B+. :p

iPhone clip of riffing the tone in the room. THIS is what the bottom end chugga sounds like in the room. I can never capture it on the mic which frustrates me.
https://soundcloud.com/user-281594556/machine-room-tone

Recorded guitar & vocals. NO POST. Settings in picture. Just two mics on two cabs & hard panned.
https://soundcloud.com/user-281594556/tighten-machine-guitar-vocal-only

Since we're listening.. Here's the only (unfortunatley) (iPhone) clip I ever did of my IIC++ DRG 105 RP11 (first in clip) vs. my B+ KRG (second in clip). Same cab & settings.
https://soundcloud.com/user-281594556/heavy-tone-comp

...and since I mentioned it here's that C+ SR I foolishly sold. This is ALL AMP. NO POST. NO GEQ. Just two mics on two cabs & hard panned.

Late to the party here, but want to raise this thread from the dead.

Blake we could sure use some more videos of this KG. Actually, another shootout of your incredible collection would be awesome. I personally would love to see the IIC+ DRG, IIC+ KG, Wizard, and Recto Multi Watt looped with the same riff like you did in your previous comparison.

BTW based on your 90s-2000s riffs, which are totally at home for me, I was a bit surprised to see you with a multi watt over a TOV (simply because of its use by a lot of bands you have covered). I am illogically hoping to see someone do a shoot out of these two. I had always though of the TOV being the best sounding DR for my preferences, but the new multi watts are sounding really good. GJgo's comparo of his triple to the Mk V Extreme was interesting and made sense because it did seem to me like Mesa was trying to push the rectos in the Mark direction with this last iteration, which is the right direction for me.

Oh and I notice you reference using the Suhr RL in all of your videos. I am looking at the Suhr vs. the Boss TAE to use with a IIC+ and V. Curious how happy you are with yours.

Most of my playing these days has to be into a loadbox, so it is something that I can't skimp on. But I really don't need any of the additional features in the TAE beyond the RL part. At first it seemed like the the TAE was supposed to be the better sounding and feeling RL, but now I am seeing hints at the Suhr actually sounding and feeling closer to what people get from plugging into a real cab whereas the TAE might be unnaturally inflating the highs and lows. So I guess the question is have you by chance compared you Suhr recorded tone to running the same amp and loop into a real cab as the load and run a DI into the same IR, and where there any interesting observations?

Tiger1016":3n7ita7a said:
Late to the party here, but want to raise this thread from the dead.

Blake we could sure use some more videos of this KG. Actually, another shootout of your incredible collection would be awesome. I personally would love to see the IIC+ DRG, IIC+ KG, Wizard, and Recto Multi Watt looped with the same riff like you did in your previous comparison.

BTW based on your 90s-2000s riffs, which are totally at home for me, I was a bit surprised to see you with a multi watt over a TOV (simply because of its use by a lot of bands you have covered). I am illogically hoping to see someone do a shoot out of these two. I had always though of the TOV being the best sounding DR for my preferences, but the new multi watts are sounding really good. GJgo's comparo of his triple to the Mk V Extreme was interesting and made sense because it did seem to me like Mesa was trying to push the rectos in the Mark direction with this last iteration, which is the right direction for me.

Yo. That would be a cool video...IIC+ vs Recto vs Wizard. I will make it happen eventually. Recto lives over at my drummers house so I don't have it available for clips but I will bring it back home at some point for another round of clips. I've had 2 TOVs in the past, so I'm definitely a fan of them. This MW Recto kinda just happened one day locally - I wasn't really looking for one but the price was right so I jumped. Glad I did. It's been a great amp, especially live. Not a huge fan of the way Marks sound live/in the mix. A little too middy, not as open sounding as a traditional amplifier that doesn't need EQ to balance out a super mid heavy preamp section - but that's just me.

Another cool amp that I've been digging lately is the Triple Crown 100. That's a fun one.

Suhr RL is awesome. Can't compare to boss though - sorry!

This is one thread I could never see again since this is the one that got away, very unique amp and rare as hell?

Bxlxaxkxe":1qa5tra7 said:
This MW Recto kinda just happened one day locally - I wasn't really looking for one but the price was right so I jumped. Glad I did. It's been a great amp, especially live. Not a huge fan of the way Marks sound live/in the mix. A little too middy, not as open sounding as a traditional amplifier that doesn't need EQ to balance out a super mid heavy preamp section - but that's just me.

+100%.

I really only need one good Mark for playing in the bedroom & tracking leads. Which is why it confuses me that I keep buying more of them. 3 this month. It's like a disease!

In the band, Rectos all day long. The MW is HARD to beat in the band.

Bxlxaxkxe":36wytb7h said:
Yo. That would be a cool video...IIC+ vs Recto vs Wizard. I will make it happen eventually.
I've had 2 TOVs in the past, so I'm definitely a fan of them.

Another cool amp that I've been digging lately is the Triple Crown 100. That's a fun one.

It is strangely rewarding to hear that my spidey sense were on point about the TOV haha. I have only messed around with the TC100 in an Axe Fx III for a really short stint. Did not find anything inspiring out of it the first go around, but I should give it another spin after seeing this to see if I missed something that might be right for me.

I am having a terribly difficult time trying to not go overboard and start finding ways to find the liquidity and justification to go after a MCII, and I am kind of weirdly looking for reasons to stop trying to look away from it. More videos any any way shape or form would help/hurt the cause haha.

Totally random thought, but is there another youtube channel or something that I could look up to see what you were doing live pre-COVID or recording? I can tell we have a lot of the same interests based on the riffs you throw in on your youtube channel (AIC, Tool, Soundgarden, Foo, Incubus, etc.).

I listened to the clip and I’m just not hearing that big massive bounce the coliseum is know for. I do know Boogie Mark series amps are difficult to record. That said, the tone was obviously cool.

psychodave":18tn4sbd said:
I listened to the clip and I’m just not hearing that big massive bounce the coliseum is know for. I do know Boogie Mark series amps are difficult to record. That said, the tone was obviously cool.
:rock:

It's hard for that to translate to a clip...when I play mine at a lower volume, it sounds and feels killer of course but when I can turn it up to 1.5 on the master it shakes the house and comes alive. I don't even know how to capture that correctly. Lol

Back