MC2 50w Clone Build

bwgintegra

I normally post my builds over at the Sloclone forum but thought this would be a cool one to share. I normally build my own turret boards but a member was selling these MC2 boards and I also got the plates from Jason at Headfirst Amplification.

Classictone transformers just showed up as they were majorly delayed because of Covid shutdown

Chassis came from Nik at Ceriatone, no mounting holes for transformer mounts or wire holes. That will be the first thing I need to get laid out and mounted. I already started populating the board and have 95% of the components needed for the build. I will post pics as I progress and hopefully do a few Ipad vids when finished.

50168333861_66eb3f15a7_c.jpg

50168333826_7e903b28cc_c.jpg

50168595707_418461432c_c.jpg

Interested in how this comes out! Personally, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to even start on something like that. Fun to watch others that can handle it though.

Nice Man! I'd love to hear it side by side next to an actual MCII. Wonder when Nick will have his available...I quit asking him for updates because I just decided to grab another Wizard MCII.

Edit: Not seeing a contour knob or brights?

Killer! I'll be watching, I'm considering a very similar build. What are the holes above the Gain/Volume controls for? LEDs? If so why 4?

Awesome!!

I was almost finished with the friedman mini but I gave up at the end of it. I think I have 6-7 wires. Instead I was going to use Jason's Marshall boards and just do another Plexi to build up my confidence. Unfortunately USPS delivered it to the wrong address so I ordered more. I have the MTL and MC2 boards but Im not even thinking about attempting it until I get more experience

I'm thinking of ordering a board from headfirst myself. Can I ask how much you have into it so far with head cab and all?

tlingen":1ycarweu said:
I'm thinking of ordering a board from headfirst myself. Can I ask how much you have into it so far with head cab and all?

I"m using a Jet City headshell from an amp I gutted years ago, so not going to include it.

These are an estimate of cost

Chassis $120
PT,OT, and Choke $275
board and plates $150
resistors, capacitors, relays, jacks, hardware, etc $200
Will add a Metro loop after the build is complete

No reason you couldn't build one for around $1000

SpiderWars":35rwolqe said:
Killer! I'll be watching, I'm considering a very similar build. What are the holes above the Gain/Volume controls for? LEDs? If so why 4?

LED's

Rhy ch, lead ch, rhy boost, lead boost

ClintN667":1l98dpo3 said:
Awesome!!

I was almost finished with the friedman mini but I gave up at the end of it. I think I have 6-7 wires. Instead I was going to use Jason's Marshall boards and just do another Plexi to build up my confidence. Unfortunately USPS delivered it to the wrong address so I ordered more. I have the MTL and MC2 boards but Im not even thinking about attempting it until I get more experience

The first set of plates Jason sent me went missing for weeks when they hit the US, Jason sent me a second set and it was a week later the originals showed up. I sent the 2nd set back, it took 3 months for the first set to show up and two weeks for the second set.

If you need help let me know or I'm sure Jason could help you out finishing up the Friedman mini

Another Wizard clone !! Wow its getting bigger now... congrats !! Can i getta ask did ya get the kit all in a bundle? Or did ya least getta pcb,chassis,headshell and faceplates from headfirst?

Finally got to spend sometime working on the amp. Transformers mounted, PCB is populated, heaters wired, etc
Should be able to really get moving on this thing now.
50327841391_f11e51fb08_c.jpg

bwgintegra":2o7kn7od said:
Finally got to spend sometime working on the amp. Transformers mounted, PCB is populated, heaters wired, etc
Should be able to really get moving on this thing now.
50327841391_f11e51fb08_c.jpg

amazing!

That looks great OP.... that headfirst clone really sounds like the real thing for sure. I can see maybe using a beefier output transformer maybe? I'll wait for your review. What plate voltages are using? is the power transformer able to produce wizard voltages? thanks

lespaul6":gkth7gs8 said:
That looks great OP.... that headfirst clone really sounds like the real thing for sure. I can see maybe using a beefier output transformer maybe? I'll wait for your review. What plate voltages are using? is the power transformer able to produce wizard voltages? thanks

I'm thinking the plate voltage will be somewhere around 480-490vdc

SpiderWars":1f92y8e9 said:
Looks great so far. Is there a recommended ground scheme?

The board has a good ground layout, the preamp has four ground planes that are connected in series. You have a solder pad for each plane to connect pots to proper section. The preamp has one chassis ground that is located at the board standoff closest to the input jack. It ground scheme can be thought of a star ground theory. You have sole chassis ground for power and the power section has one chassis ground where the center tap of the secondaries also gets grounded.

When you buy a board you get a copy of the scheme and board traces.

Back