Boost Question - Marshall Jubilee 2555

that's what i liked about the fulldrive, it boosts the signal with volume maxed and gain off, the tone knob at 3 o clock boosted the upper mids a bit and tightened up the bottom for drop tunings.

Lespaul1981":11z8uf38 said:
that's what i liked about the fulldrive, it boosts the signal with volume maxed and gain off, the tone knob at 3 o clock boosted the upper mids a bit and tightened up the bottom for drop tunings.

Glad the fulldrive worked for you.

I use a Maxon OD808 (which I know you said you found narrow), I find it cutting. I also often use a Klone. Just goes to show how we all hear things differently.

yeah i did try a maxon OD808, and to my ear there was too much low end roll off, and top end smoothing so the marshall lost it's kerrang presence.
the fulldrive did not do that.

I am a fan of the FD as well, versatile and cheap. I use the FD-2 MOSFET with volume dimed, gain off on the CC setting with the tone between 3pm and 5pm and have it always on.

If that doesn't work for me I grab my BB Pre. Which always does me well. Good amount of clean boost, and you really don't lose any frequency in the mix.

The Barber Direct Drive has won the job over at least 20 other OD's for me. Including the SD-1, ODC, Maxon 808 and Plumes.

That's a tuff one, as there are many pedals that work well with the Silver Jubilee. I like to use a KLON or a good clone. Ceriatone Centura is my favorite. One thing that goes a long way with a SJ, is using a 1/3 octave EQ in the loop.

braintheory":26wy18jq said:
I’ve had 2 VFE Standout’s, Dragon, and Focus. I loved them when I had them, but then came the Furman PQ-3 and 1140. The Furman and 1140 destroyed those VFE’s. No contest. Those VFE’s definitely narrow things and definitely have that filtered/toy like quality that I hear in most current made pedals

Do you have experience with the JHS Colour Box v2 by any chance? Been curious about it lately but a bit steep pricewise to do a blind buy. Didn’t find any clips of it boosting high gain amps.

Kapo_Polenton":27z2b0gq said:
PDC":27z2b0gq said:
I have yet to run into any amp that does not respond well to a TC Spark Mini. With no tone controls to filter the signal, the ‘mini’ is as transparent as it gets - which sounds ideal when boosting and amp that has overall tone that you already love - just wanting a bit more push and low end tightness without adding distortion or tonal shaping.

That's the thing with clean boosts, I tend to need them with some type of EQ shaping. Does the spark mini TIGHTEN the low end? I find a lot of the one knobbies tend to make everything bigger when they are clean boosts.

I think that tends to be correct. I do notice a bit more firmness to the low-end with the Spark mini engaged, where I actually notice my TS-9 seems to filter some of the lows out. The Spark mini definitely shines with an amp that you absolutely love and just want some extra sustain for leads or extra chunk for rhythms without altering the underlying tone of the amp.

I'm working with a 2555x right now.

The 33 gets a lot of flack around here but it can turn the Jubilee into a heavy metal machine.

Cusack Screamer and SD 805 are my faves with my Splawns . Buxom Boost is great but its just too hissy for me . I’ve tried a few and thru different power supplies and they’ve all had that annoying hiss but if that’s not a big thing I’d definitely recommend it

I have had equally great results with a Buxom Boost, Metropoulos Supaboost and the old GE-7. The trick is cutting the lows a bit in front of the amp.

I also like to use a 10 band EQ in the loop to dial out about 2-3dB out of the mids at 250 and 500Hz. Then the amp sounds just right.

Back