Boost Question - Marshall Jubilee 2555

I’m curious which boost you’d recommend me for a 2555 head.
The buxom boost or zw44 overdrive.

I love the tone and dynamics of the 2555, I just want a little bit more sometimes.
Wouldn’t the Buxom be the answer as I can drive the input harder
with the clean boost and then tighten up any loose low end with
the tight?

I also own the mxr cae 401 boost and it’s great in the loop for a lead boost
for just volume or in front if I need more oomph when tracking.

Thx!

I like using an MXR 10 band eq (silver one) in front. This way you can "shape" your boost and still adjust the gain factor.

I've had a bunch of Jubes; have a 2554 currently. I used to gig with one and used a Danelectro fish n chips plus an OCD in front. Worked great. Now I use a Boss OD1X and it is great. Doesn't rob low end, and can even add a little...these amps as you know have plenty tight low end available. The best thing about this pedal though is how quiet it is. You hardly even know its on. I also have an '86 SD1 that works well too..but is noisier.

Racerxrated":3c7o3qzq said:
I've had a bunch of Jubes; have a 2554 currently. I used to gig with one and used a Danelectro fish n chips plus an OCD in front. Worked great. Now I use a Boss OD1X and it is great. Doesn't rob low end, and can even add a little...these amps as you know have plenty tight low end available. The best thing about this pedal though is how quiet it is. You hardly even know its on. I also have an '86 SD1 that works well too..but is noisier.
I literally was JUST going to page you. Lol

Thanks!
Yeah I tried a maxon od808 a couple times and it made the Jubilee so narrow sounding that I returned it.
What I dislike about overdrives is how they change the amp’s fundamental sound and dynamics when you want just a hair more from the amp’s lead channel. I guess that’s why I’m leaning towards the BB.
The MXR 10 band EQ is cool I used to use that into a 2203 after I got rid of my Od pedals. I like the gain sliders and how you can clean boost and shape the sound but tbh you really don’t need 10 bands, for a guitar sound.
End of the day I just want a pedal that will push the jubilee to 11 but keep the dynamics and tone and clanky upper mids the same. The cae boost does that really well but it does obviously push the low end a bit much and can get too loose which is why I was thinking about the Buxom Boost but the MXR 10 band or GE7 could also be cool and kinda similar.
Has anyone compared the zw44 and buxom boost into a Jubilee or Marshall style amp?

I Would use the Mxr/CAE MC 401. Or Green Rhino works great too. Those are the 2 i used with my Jubilee 2555SL. I also used a MXR/CAE MC402 which is the boost/od in one pedal & i would use both the boost side and the OD Side simultaneously & it sounded glorious.

Other than those mentioned above. I Would also try the TC Electronics spark boost or if you can find one try the Tc Electronics Distortion/Booster from the 80's.

Lespaul1981":3shro1wd said:
Thanks!
Yeah I tried a maxon od808 a couple times and it made the Jubilee so narrow sounding that I returned it.
What I dislike about overdrives is how they change the amp’s fundamental sound and dynamics when you want just a hair more from the amp’s lead channel. I guess that’s why I’m leaning towards the BB.
The MXR 10 band EQ is cool I used to use that into a 2203 after I got rid of my Od pedals. I like the gain sliders and how you can clean boost and shape the sound but tbh you really don’t need 10 bands, for a guitar sound.
End of the day I just want a pedal that will push the jubilee to 11 but keep the dynamics and tone and clanky upper mids the same. The cae boost does that really well but it does obviously push the low end a bit much and can get too loose which is why I was thinking about the Buxom Boost but the MXR 10 band or GE7 could also be cool and kinda similar.
Has anyone compared the zw44 and buxom boost into a Jubilee or Marshall style amp?
You mentioned narrow sounding...that's the best way that I like to describe what I don't like about many boost pedals, period. The OD1X is the ONLY pedal out of many (Savage Drive, 808, TS9, etc etc) that leaves the sound as big and wide as the non boosted amp. The only other products I've tried that also leave the tone 'big' are the parametric eq's like the TC 1140 and the Furman PQ3.

Racerxrated":1eqgkvqs said:
Lespaul1981":1eqgkvqs said:
Thanks!
You mentioned narrow sounding...that's the best way that I like to describe what I don't like about many boost pedals, period. The OD1X is the ONLY pedal out of many (Savage Drive, 808, TS9, etc etc) that leaves the sound as big and wide as the non boosted amp. The only other products I've tried that also leave the tone 'big' are the parametric eq's like the TC 1140 and the Furman PQ3.

I Felt the same way until i tried the Green Rhino & the TC electronics Distortion/Booster from the 80's.

Lespaul1981":22ivimys said:
Thanks!

I have a Maxon OD808 and had a CAE401 in the past.

The best I have found with my Marshalls has been the Boss GE-7. I would recommend you try a Boss GE-7 using a flatter mid boost with about a 5DB max boost at 800 and 1.6K then 2.5Db boost at 400 and 3.2K then everything else at 0(unity gain) this setting mimics my old Blue MXR 6band that has mojo but noisy. This will retain the all the natural sounding clanky upper mids and dynamics. I use my GE-7 set to this with both my 68 and 72 Marshall's to boost and it retains all the plexi SL clank in the tone yet provides a a great boost. I just picked up a Seymour Duncan 805 OD pedal that sounds pretty similar and I like but I think I still prefer the GE-7 and I would imagine the newer MXR 6bands work just as good or a 10 band YMMV.

With the EQ pedal you can add or cut the lows to your liking the above setting tighens up the low end perfect on a Marshall. The GE-7 can be a little noisy(hiss) but I see some pedal guys offer a low noise mod. I don't find the hiss to be that objectionable

thanks everyone for the ideas.
I had an mxr 6 band but got rid of it because i rarely used it, compared to the cae401.
The GE7 would be cool since you have the eq sliders and also the volume so you can send more signal to the input. I think Slash used to do that, if im not mistaken.
Is it worth it to find an older MIJ GE7?

The CAE401 is killer in the loop for a pure volume boost for leads in a live mix, so I'll keep it there. I have used it in the studio in front sometimes, too.
I like how the Fulltone wah and deja vibe have a lot of volume of tap for pushing the Jub harder, so I was looking for something along that idea when Im not using the wah or deja.
Maybe a GE7 is the answer.

I would be down to try the OD1X, Fulldrive, Green Rhino, Golden Pearl, etc but maybe overdrive is just not the flavor I am looking for, as I really want the amp to feel the same, just a bit more oomph or push for heavier or downtuned riffs and some leads.

If you want an EQ pedal I'd go for the Boss GE10. Much better than the GE7 and way less noisy. The Danelectro Fish n Chips is also way less noisy than the GE7, and you can get more subtle changes vs the GE7. They are cheap, like 30 bucks..Boss will be built better though...

Lespaul1981":4gknvydt said:
I had an mxr 6 band but got rid of it because i rarely used it, compared to the cae401.
The GE7 would be cool since you have the eq sliders and also the volume so you can send more signal to the input. I think Slash used to do that, if im not mistaken.

The CAE401 is killer in the loop for a pure volume boost for leads in a live mix, so I'll keep it there. I have used it in the studio in front sometimes, too.
I like how the Fulltone wah and deja vibe have a lot of volume of tap for pushing the Jub harder, so I was looking for something along that idea when Im not using the wah or deja.

I would be down to try the OD1X, Fulldrive, Green Rhino, Golden Pearl, etc but maybe overdrive is just not the flavor I am looking for, as I really want the amp to feel the same, just a bit more oomph or push for heavier or downtuned riffs and some leads.

I have a Made in Taiwan Boss GE7, I don't think the MIJ were any better but you never know. I have had just about every OD out there and I like them for certain sounds but I feel the best sounding boost that keeps and the amp dynamics and tone are my EQ's I think those settings I gave you would sound (they are not nasally mid boost) great with your Jubilee. There is a reason why Slash and EVH and numerous other used EQ's up front of there Marshalls. Don't get me wrong I love Jake E Lee tone of a Boss OD1 into a Plexi or JCM800 but...... Of which I 've tried the Boss GE10, GE7 and the old blue mxr 6band. I still have my GE7, MXR, Furman PQ3 and a Rane PQ4. Now I had to mess around with my Boss Ge7 to get those settings to sound like my old blue MXR6band but once I did the Boss sounds just as good and you can turn it on and off with a footswitch.

While the Boss GE10 is super quiet I felt it was a little HI-FI sounding I guess would be the best way to described it would be say VH1 tone versus the warmer rounder VHII tone. The Boss GE7 and MXR has a little rudeness to them for lack of a better term to describe what they do add. They won't color the tone like a tubescreamer but they aren't as polite a the Boss GE10. If I felt the GE10 was the best I would still own one,(I owned two) just being honest.

harddriver":34sew166 said:
Lespaul1981":34sew166 said:

I have a Made in Taiwan Boss GE7, I don't think the MIJ were any better but you never know. I have had just about every OD out there and I like them for certain sounds but I feel the best sounding boost that keeps and the amp dynamics and tone are my EQ's I think those settings I gave you would sound (they are not nasally mid boost) great with your Jubilee. There is a reason why Slash and EVH and numerous other used EQ's up front of there Marshalls. Don't get me wrong I love Jake E Lee tone of a Boss OD1 into a Plexi or JCM800 but...... Of which I 've tried the Boss GE10, GE7 and the old blue mxr 6band. I still have my GE7, MXR, Furman PQ3 and a Rane PQ4. Now I had to mess around with my Boss Ge7 to get those settings to sound like my old blue MXR6band but once I did the Boss sounds just as good and you can turn it on and off with a footswitch.

While the Boss GE10 is super quiet I felt it was a little HI-FI sounding I guess would be the best way to described it would be say VH1 tone versus the warmer rounder VHII tone. The Boss GE7 and MXR has a little rudeness to them for lack of a better term to describe what they do add. They won't color the tone like a tubescreamer but they aren't as polite a the Boss GE10. If I felt the GE10 was the best I would still own one,(I owned two) just being honest.

thank you ^^^^

Of the 2, Buxom Boost all the way. And, I've had a Wylde OD for 15 years as well. I could see it doing the job, but coloring the tone a bit.

I never used the Rhythm Clip on the Mini Jube I had, I hated it. But, boosting it without the clip engaged is where it's at. Fat city... I actually used an EP Boost in front of a GT-OD with mine. Sounded killer! Almost bought another one last week.

napalmdeath":24gvj8hl said:
Of the 2, Buxom Boost all the way. And, I've had a Wylde OD for 15 years as well. I could see it doing the job, but coloring the tone a bit.

I never used the Rhythm Clip on the Mini Jube I had, I hated it. But, boosting it without the clip engaged is where it's at. Fat city... I actually used an EP Boost in front of a GT-OD with mine. Sounded killer! Almost bought another one last week.

yeah, i'm thinking overdrive isn't what I want due to the coloration, and how it becomes more narrow.
the CAE401 does have a color, it makes the tone brighter, does the Buxom have a color to it?

Lespaul1981":1garzeiv said:
napalmdeath":1garzeiv said:

yeah, i'm thinking overdrive isn't what I want due to the coloration, and how it becomes more narrow.
the CAE401 does have a color, it makes the tone brighter, does the Buxom have a color to it?

Buxom Boost is the way to go. Excellent, transparent boost. The added EQ is a huge bonus too. It's a great pedal. It does exactly what you want - gives you that extra push of what you already have. Your amp, more oomph. It's more of an extension of your amp/vs. a boost. Again, great pedal.

napalmdeath":267m3ebw said:
Lespaul1981":267m3ebw said:
napalmdeath":267m3ebw said:

Buxom Boost is the way to go. Excellent, transparent boost. The added EQ is a huge bonus too. It's a great pedal. It does exactly what you want - gives you that extra push of what you already have. Your amp, more oomph. It's more of an extension of your amp/vs. a boost. Again, great pedal.

great, thanks man !!

Lespaul1981":3n5kt24a said:
napalmdeath":3n5kt24a said:
Lespaul1981":3n5kt24a said:
napalmdeath":3n5kt24a said:

great, thanks man !!
I liked my Buxom Boost a lot when I had it, but my Furman PQ-3 just smoked it (and many other pedals) and made it sound like a cheap toy in comparison (my TC 1140 would probably do the same). For what the Buxom Boost did well, I also much prefer my Thorpy Heavy Water. It is a little pricy, but one the best boost type pedals I’ve tried and way higher quality tone, not filtered or inorganic sounding like 99% of pedals that add imo this slightly cheap/plasticy quality to the tone

Back