Anyone Try The MI Audio Megalith Beta?

braintheory

Have any of you guys tried these? Reza made a video of it the other day that I thought sounded quite good: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wvidI4wJ1kg

For those that have tried it, did you like it as much as the other top tier high gain amps like Wizards, early revision Rectifiers, Mark IIC+’s, Cameron’s, Monomyth, etc?

I inquired with an RT member just this past weekend as I was becoming interested in these also, and he received a custom from MI Audio and said it was ok...a very generic sound and nothing special. Also stated that he had issues with the builder and the guy pulled some shady stuff regarding the build and the transaction. Second hand account but worthy of mention.

I'd be curious to hear more, as well. I was intending to buy a Gamma because the exchange rate is so good right now.

psychodave":2kqzgmaz said:
That amp clip does nothing for me. Nothing.
I kinda hear a mix of things I like and don’t like in it. It seems pretty heavy, modern and thick, which I like, but also more on the synthetic/inorganic side and not as much growl as I like to have

To be fair, I don’t generally like the way a lot of Reza’s clips sound and maybe I was just impressed because this sounds better to me than his clips of amps that I love in person lol (like his c++, Wizard and Monomyth)

I was pretty sold on the Gamma, then I heard Reza's clip of the Beta and I'm second-guessing. There were some tones in there that I think sounded great, but he only kept them on for like 2 seconds before flipping another switch. He's definitely going for a different sound than me.

I had the same exact thought as the OP after I came across this video, and found this thread after.

I was using my high end headphone rig with separate browsers up comparing Reeza’s various videos on the MCII, MTL, and IIC++ clips. The recordings made it sound like this thing could do virtually spot on impersonations of all of those amps. I know we are talking youtube clips though and a guy who dials everything in to sound really similar, but my first and second impression was this thing seems like it belongs in the same discussion, even though it is half the price and basically a no-name brand.

So I posted a question on youtube this AM and Reeza already responded. Recapping his comments, he says this is basically a IIC++ killer, a 5150/ENGL/uberschall hybrid regarding tonal color pallet, but not really anywhere close to either of the Wizards flavor at all. Also goes on to highlight the impressive power, rumble, and midrange detail.

On paper that sounds like a great amp, and there is a good amount of stuff that I walked away liking from the
video. However, it seems like this thing might not be a top option for also falling back into the more classic, mid-gain range as well. Not that it is putting itself out there to be a champ in that realm. I was just hoping to find a better value option to the MCII to go along with the IIC+ for a wide variety of rock and metal stuff. Still this amp is intriguing and came out of nowhere.

Can anyone vouch for this thing being great for lighter rock stuff too, or is it mostly just a full out metal machine?

Tiger1016":8u4xq66y said:
I had the same exact thought as the OP after I came across this video, and found this thread after.

I was using my high end headphone rig with separate browsers up comparing Reeza’s various videos on the MCII, MTL, and IIC++ clips. The recordings made it sound like this thing could do virtually spot on impersonations of all of those amps. I know we are talking youtube clips though and a guy who dials everything in to sound really similar, but my first and second impression was this thing seems like it belongs in the same discussion, even though it is half the price and basically a no-name brand.

So I posted a question on youtube this AM and Reeza already responded. Recapping his comments, he says this is basically a IIC++ killer, a 5150/ENGL/uberschall hybrid regarding tonal color pallet, but not really anywhere close to either of the Wizards flavor at all. Also goes on to highlight the impressive power, rumble, and midrange detail.

On paper that sounds like a great amp, and there is a good amount of stuff that I walked away liking from the
video. However, it seems like this thing might not be a top option for also falling back into the more classic, mid-gain range as well. Not that it is putting itself out there to be a champ in that realm. I was just hoping to find a better value option to the MCII to go along with the IIC+ for a wide variety of rock and metal stuff. Still this amp is intriguing and came out of nowhere.

Can anyone vouch for this thing being great for lighter rock stuff too, or is it mostly just a full out metal machine?
All the clips I’ve seen make it seem like it wasn’t convincing at all for non-metal stuff

I’ve had my Wizard MTL for 3 years now. I play most of my other high gain amps more often, but it’s still an exceptional amp and I can say with much confidence that there is no cheaper alternative if you want what that amp excels at, which imo is mostly clarity, punch and rock solid note definition. Rather I think there’s only one more expensive alternative I know that could perhaps be better and that’s Larry. I’m on the 2 year wait for it currently

braintheory":2i0uf7ml said:
Tiger1016":2i0uf7ml said:

All the clips I’ve seen make it seem like it wasn’t convincing at all for non-metal stuff

I’ve had my Wizard MTL for 3 years now. I play most of my other high gain amps more often, but it’s still an exceptional amp and I can say with much confidence that there is no cheaper alternative if you want what that amp excels at, which imo is mostly clarity, punch and rock solid note definition. Rather I think there’s only one more expensive alternative I know that could perhaps be better and that’s Larry. I’m on the 2 year wait for it currently

Oh geeze. I already have enough GAS problems going on tight now. I am afraid what will happen if I start digging into Larry amps. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but who would want to pass up potentially seeing the light.

The fact that the Gamma only has 3 preamp tubes tells me it's got a lot of clipping happening in the circuit (the Beta has one more, which doesn't excite me.

MatrixClaw":1d7g78yr said:
The fact that the Gamma only has 3 preamp tubes tells me it's got a lot of clipping happening in the circuit (the Beta has one more, which doesn't excite me.

Do you think the 3 vs 4 preamp tubes would make a noticeable difference in the Beta's ability to cover the 'less than metal' range at least as well as the Gamma can?

I just spun through Leon Todd's two videos on the Gamma again, and it sounds like it cover a lot of ground well, at least in a way that I might be happy with. The issue I see is the clean channel is where you can find some of the better classic rock kinds of tones, rather than by dialing back the lead channel. Don't know if this translates over to the Beta though.

Also, saw these 3rd and 4th clips of the Beta vs. Gamma, and the Beta was noticeably more preferable for me, at least in this particular metal recorded with a with cell phone clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZP3LlKm2YA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVkGO_ZQ6E&t=272s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbQwWUVhDXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsa4EtVo5I8

Fair Warning...wait till someone buys one and can give a decent review. Clips are a shit way since they can deceive the listener. At least in my experience. I'd wait until a few guys can chime in here and give an honest opinion...and not one that follows with a quick 'for sale' ad in the classifieds.
:LOL: :LOL:

skullfxr":dnm4h7mc said:
Reza and Larry in the same thread. This is going to be KABOOM in ten minutes.

I have a problem every time I hear Kaboom. I am no rap or hip hop fan, but these lyrics will never be forgotten from growing up and cloud my mind every time I hear the word.

Stop, drop, kaboom! Baby, rub on ya nipples - Luda

Happy Friday haha!

Back