Let's Talk Super Strats

Monomyth":2lgsgqka said:
I have a 2009 USA Charvel San dimas in polar white that I’m going to post on rt classifieds soon, amazing guitar but I have so many and prefer the lp style.
:rock:
I've seen it; it's very nice. I'm the opposite...I have to buy a MIJ LP clone to satisfy that itch. Can't have too much invested in a guitar I won't play that much! :doh:

Racerxrated":2pe9mm8p said:
braintheory":2pe9mm8p said:
Racerxrated":2pe9mm8p said:
braintheory":2pe9mm8p said:
I tried a Balaguer last week and was by far the best SS I’ve tried in that price range, way better than any Charvel’s I’ve tried in that price range. I love the 2 Charvel’s I have (2016 Custom Shop San Dimas and 1986 San Dimas), but those in the $2k ballpark. With Balaguer it looks like you can also choose what specs you want (within reason) for a custom order and would probably still be under $1500 with the specs you mentioned
I just picked up a GREAT condition 2008 USA SD Charvel candy blue. It rivals my Plum 09 SoCal in every way. The Plum chased away 3 Charvel customs, all of which were great. I paid 1100 at GC. If you are patient you can find them for a reasonable price..not the custom shop prices guys seem to be asking.

I’m sure the Balauger stuff is good. But for 1500 or more I’d give Chubtone the order vs buying a Korean made axe for the same coin.
I haven’t admittedly played any Charvel’s from those years, but haven’t been impressed with the US line ones I have played or the recent Select Dinky I tried. I agree that the price seems very high for a Korean made guitar, but am actually considering bringing in my Charvel’s to compare with it because it honestly might be as good or better. I assumed it was a US made guitar when I tried it. I’m admittedly not as particular with playability as others (I really just judge guitars on sound), but I actually may like that Balaguer’s playability better than both my Charvel’s and acoustically it sounded very punchy and lively. In that regard, I don’t think any super Strat I’ve tried under 2k came close. I haven’t tried Charvel’s from 2008-2009, but would be surprised if the liveliness would be as good (playability very possible), but am open minded and always curious to try things

The recent Dean Gordon’s I tried were still probably better than both. They’re usually at least $2500, but he’s had a few more stripped down ones here and there under 2k that were every bit as good (some even better for my taste)
You aren't the only one to say that about the Balauger stuff from Korea. Sounds like they are the real deal. Not a fan of the body styles though; just give me a true strat or dinky body and call it a day. Lol
One thing about resonance; I've actually played some guitars that were incredibly loud acoustically and when I plugged them in, total duds. I used to believe that how they sounded unplugged was a good 'tell' as to the tone plugged in...but in a few cases that hasn't been true.
I've also heard the newer 'selects' from Charvel aren't that great. I really believe that in some cases the 08-09 USA Charvels were partially worked on by custom shop guys...just because I've played a few with perfect playability, tone and feel that are every bit as good as the 3 customs I owned.
Believe me, I’m well aware that loud acoustically does not mean anything about it being good plugged in. I’ve had my share of boutique guitars that were very loud unplugged, but weren’t great plugged in. The Balaguer I tried actually wasn’t super loud, just very lively, punchy, warm and great acoustic sound overall. I don’t get impressed with the volume of guitars acoustically, just the actual quality of tone acoustically. My vintage Gibsons’s are not loud unplugged, but sound amazing still in their acoustic tone

I’m not crazy about their body shapes either, but if the sound is there then I don’t care how it looks. That was the only Balaguer I tried, but I bet the others are also good

braintheory":3p5cq9xv said:
Racerxrated":3p5cq9xv said:
Racerxrated":3p5cq9xv said:
I tried a Balaguer last week and was by far the best SS I’ve tried in that price range, way better than any Charvel’s I’ve tried in that price range. I love the 2 Charvel’s I have (2016 Custom Shop San Dimas and 1986 San Dimas), but those in the $2k ballpark. With Balaguer it looks like you can also choose what specs you want (within reason) for a custom order and would probably still be under $1500 with the specs you mentioned
I just picked up a GREAT condition 2008 USA SD Charvel candy blue. It rivals my Plum 09 SoCal in every way. The Plum chased away 3 Charvel customs, all of which were great. I paid 1100 at GC. If you are patient you can find them for a reasonable price..not the custom shop prices guys seem to be asking.

I’m sure the Balauger stuff is good. But for 1500 or more I’d give Chubtone the order vs buying a Korean made axe for the same coin.
I haven’t admittedly played any Charvel’s from those years, but haven’t been impressed with the US line ones I have played or the recent Select Dinky I tried. I agree that the price seems very high for a Korean made guitar, but am actually considering bringing in my Charvel’s to compare with it because it honestly might be as good or better. I assumed it was a US made guitar when I tried it. I’m admittedly not as particular with playability as others (I really just judge guitars on sound), but I actually may like that Balaguer’s playability better than both my Charvel’s and acoustically it sounded very punchy and lively. In that regard, I don’t think any super Strat I’ve tried under 2k came close. I haven’t tried Charvel’s from 2008-2009, but would be surprised if the liveliness would be as good (playability very possible), but am open minded and always curious to try things

The recent Dean Gordon’s I tried were still probably better than both. They’re usually at least $2500, but he’s had a few more stripped down ones here and there under 2k that were every bit as good (some even better for my taste)
You aren't the only one to say that about the Balauger stuff from Korea. Sounds like they are the real deal. Not a fan of the body styles though; just give me a true strat or dinky body and call it a day. Lol
One thing about resonance; I've actually played some guitars that were incredibly loud acoustically and when I plugged them in, total duds. I used to believe that how they sounded unplugged was a good 'tell' as to the tone plugged in...but in a few cases that hasn't been true.
I've also heard the newer 'selects' from Charvel aren't that great. I really believe that in some cases the 08-09 USA Charvels were partially worked on by custom shop guys...just because I've played a few with perfect playability, tone and feel that are every bit as good as the 3 customs I owned.
Believe me, I’m well aware that loud acoustically does not mean anything about it being good plugged in. I’ve had my share of boutique guitars that were very loud unplugged, but weren’t great plugged in. The Balaguer I tried actually wasn’t super loud, just very lively, punchy, nice warm and great acoustic sound overall. I don’t get impressed with the volume of guitars acoustically, just the actual quality of tone acoustically. My vintage Gibsons’s are that loud unplugged, but sound amazing still in their acoustic tone

I’m not crazy about their body shapes either, but if the sound is there then I don’t care how it looks. That was the only Balaguer I tried, but I bet the others are also good
This reminds me of a $300 guitar I bought a few yrs ago; I was looking for a hardtail for some drop D stuff we played and bought a Washburn X50. Neck through, Buzz Feiten tuning and SD pups. Maple neck, Mahogany body. That damn thing was one of the thickest, nicest sounding guitars I've ever picked up. Killer tone. The neck was just too beefy though, so I returned it. I believe it was made in Korea too. Later I tried to find another like it but they didn't measure up at all to that first one.

Racerxrated":3q0l3srn said:
braintheory":3q0l3srn said:

Believe me, I’m well aware that loud acoustically does not mean anything about it being good plugged in. I’ve had my share of boutique guitars that were very loud unplugged, but weren’t great plugged in. The Balaguer I tried actually wasn’t super loud, just very lively, punchy, nice warm and great acoustic sound overall. I don’t get impressed with the volume of guitars acoustically, just the actual quality of tone acoustically. My vintage Gibsons’s are that loud unplugged, but sound amazing still in their acoustic tone

This reminds me of a $300 guitar I bought a few yrs ago; I was looking for a hardtail for some drop D stuff we played and bought a Washburn X50. Neck through, Buzz Feiten tuning and SD pups. Maple neck, Mahogany body. That damn thing was one of the thickest, nicest sounding guitars I've ever picked up. Killer tone. The neck was just too beefy though, so I returned it. I believe it was made in Korea too. Later I tried to find another like it but they didn't measure up at all to that first one.
Maybe the beefy neck could’ve contributed to the thick sound. I’ve so far not really been too impressed with the core tone of any other overseas made guitars I’ve tried besides that Balaguer. Actually, now that I recall, one of my friend’s has 2 Epiphones that he cherry picked out of like over 50 different ones and they sound great for what they are and better than most recent USA line Gibson’s (not Custom Shop), but still not in the same league as something really great

If you are comfortable with assembly and set-up, spec’ing your own body and neck and turning all the screws yourself can be very rewarding. (And very addicting)

In your price range there are tons of good options, especially used. All good suggestions above.

I would suggest looking for a used Charvel, should be able to get one for half of your target price range. Play it a while and see if it’s just a passing fad for you (being an LP guy) or if it sticks. You can always sell the Charvel for about the price you paid.

PDC":2kzbc16s said:
If you are comfortable with assembly and set-up, spec’ing your own body and neck and turning all the screws yourself can be very rewarding. (And very addicting)

100% Agree, very addicting

My next SS will most definitely be a Solar guitar. It was a company started by Ola Englund and the guitars have killer specs and have been getting great reviews. Not stupidly expensive either. For the most part, they’re all mahogany bodies, neck-thru, ebony fingerboards and locking tuners. Necks are a comfy C shape.

I’m really excited to try out a guitar with an Evertune bridge, which they offer plenty of models with.

https://www.solar-guitars.com

Actually, looking at the site now, I’ve forgotten how many models they’ve added. They’ve got bolt-ons too, which I believe are all the roasted maple necked guitars.

i like the jim root strat. can always get replacement pickguards and add colored pickups, knobs, etc to spice it up. The paint supposedly chips very easily, in case you care. i think they are worth $1500 new, but can get around $800-$1000 used. i can't name one slip knot song, but i dig the strat and his jazzmaster

Another vote for Balaguer!!! I have a few and they are insanely good... especially for the price. $1500 for a semi-custom guitar with the specs you want is a crazy good deal... regardless if it's made in SK or not. They don't use WMI either... it's a small shop of a handful of master luthiers. Plus, you can make the builds as crazy custom as you want or bare bones to keep the cost down. Here's a graphic representation of a current build I have in the queue.

ncgTEU7.jpg

Roasted maple neck and board
Roasted Ash body
Stainless Steel frets
locking tuners
Gotoh 510 bridge.

Less than $1500 total. Not too shabby.

Gitfiddler":3tnkx0bn said:
i like the jim root strat. can always get replacement pickguards and add colored pickups, knobs, etc to spice it up. The paint supposedly chips very easily, in case you care. i think they are worth $1500 new, but can get around $800-$1000 used. i can't name one slip knot song, but i dig the strat and his jazzmaster

Yeah I found a Deal on one....so i should be paying for it next Wednesday. I plan to turn it into a single hum/single volume strat.

I have owned a candy green USA SoCal, tangerine hardtail MIJ Sand Dimas, and two MIM San Dimas models. The USA SoCal was far and away the better guitar but those tend to be less inconsistent than the MIM's. All felt great under the fingers but they just didn't play and set up as well as the USA but that has just been my experience.

When did these become so expensive on the used market? I bought all of mine used for under $500 and sold them for less than that. Many of these seem to be going for more than they were new these days.

fek":2depb8hj said:
I have owned a candy green USA SoCal, tangerine hardtail MIJ Sand Dimas, and two MIM San Dimas models. The USA SoCal was far and away the better guitar but those tend to be less inconsistent than the MIM's. All felt great under the fingers but they just didn't play and set up as well as the USA but that has just been my experience.

When did these become so expensive on the used market? I bought all of mine used for under $500 and sold them for less than that. Many of these seem to be going for more than they were new these days.
2 yrs ago I found an 09 Plum SoCal for 649. Great condition, tone and plays so well I sold the 2 custom shops I had. Last year I found a candy tangerine SoCal mint, plastic on the pick guard for 799. 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet on an 08 Candy Blue for 1100...wanted one of those for a while now...also damn near mint and plays like my plum. And that’s the cheapest I’ve seen them..some are asking near 2K for these which is silly.

Chris O":8ho2k72n said:
GJ2's can be found at good prices. Made by the Grand Master of the Super Strat, Grover Jackson. I have one I might be looking to part with - black, H-S-S, "So-Cal" style, Floyd, Maple/maple... $1200-ish?

https://reverb.com/item/34321062-usa-ja ... -floyd-gj2

He's making guitars for Friedman now, and they're basically GJ2's with a new name.
I’ve played several GJ2s and was quite underwhelmed. While built by Grover, I think whomever he went in with from a funding standpoint skimped in some places. They simply don’t feel like the work that Grover does for Friedman

Back