Let's Talk Super Strats

Detroit1973

so i have been bitten by the super strat bug after playing a few friends guitars over this past weekend. I also played a couple of guitars at various stores in my area. I'm a Hardtail guy through & through. I was hoping you all could steer me in the right direction between, Let's say, A Charvel & a Jim Root Strat. I Played both over the weekend & loved both of them. The Jim Root sounded a tad thicker due to the Mahogany Body.

What are your thoughts on which "Hardtail Super Strat" I should buy?

paulyc":147wkjvs said:
I'd look for an MIJ Charvel then.
This...or maybe a more recent MiM version, I've heard they are much better now than the earlier MiM versions I tried way back in '14. I'd say a USA version but the 08-09s were mostly Floyds.
Although I think there's a flat black USA Select HSS HT in the classifieds for around what you want to pay?

*nevermind it sold.

GreatRedDragon":34hhym16 said:
Super Strats are highly personalized. Besides a hardtail, what exactly are you looking for in terms of features?

2 Hums or Hum/Single. I Prefer Alder or Mahogany bodies, I love Rosewood or Ebony fretboards (I'm a LP Player) I actually like all my guitars to be on the heavier side 8 pounds or more. Pickups don't really matter all that much to me cause they will probably end up changed anyway.

I tried a Balaguer last week and was by far the best SS I’ve tried in that price range, way better than any Charvel’s I’ve tried in that price range. I love the 2 Charvel’s I have (2016 Custom Shop San Dimas and 1986 San Dimas), but those in the $2k ballpark. With Balaguer it looks like you can also choose what specs you want (within reason) for a custom order and would probably still be under $1500 with the specs you mentioned

Oh yeah I have a custom Balaguer and it's literally about as good as a guitar can get; definitely my main these days. Only cost me $1500ish too

Devin":8ow3vpeb said:
Oh yeah I have a custom Balaguer and it's literally about as good as a guitar can get; definitely my main these days. Only cost me $1500ish too
Agreed. Honestly it’s very possible I could like it as much or more than my Charvel’s if I did a side by side comparison. It definitely smoked any guitar I’ve tried that I can think of under $2k except for a few Dean Gordon’s that were underpriced. I’ve owned 3 high end Mayones (2 Regius’s and a Duvell MBC) and have tried tons of other Mayones and I liked the Balaguer I tried last week better in both sound and playability and is less than half the price of those. The only thing the Mayones has over it was they looked fancier

braintheory":28pqhddh said:
I tried a Balaguer last week and was by far the best SS I’ve tried in that price range, way better than any Charvel’s I’ve tried in that price range. I love the 2 Charvel’s I have (2016 Custom Shop San Dimas and 1986 San Dimas), but those in the $2k ballpark. With Balaguer it looks like you can also choose what specs you want (within reason) for a custom order and would probably still be under $1500 with the specs you mentioned
I just picked up a GREAT condition 2008 USA SD Charvel candy blue. It rivals my Plum 09 SoCal in every way. The Plum chased away 3 Charvel customs, all of which were great. I paid 1100 at GC. If you are patient you can find them for a reasonable price..not the custom shop prices guys seem to be asking.

I’m sure the Balauger stuff is good. But for 1500 or more I’d give Chubtone the order vs buying a Korean made axe for the same coin.

Detroit1973":2cvdeu15 said:
GreatRedDragon":2cvdeu15 said:
Super Strats are highly personalized. Besides a hardtail, what exactly are you looking for in terms of features?

2 Hums or Hum/Single. I Prefer Alder or Mahogany bodies, I love Rosewood or Ebony fretboards (I'm a LP Player) I actually like all my guitars to be on the heavier side 8 pounds or more. Pickups don't really matter all that much to me cause they will probably end up changed anyway.

I'm a Les Paul guy but also have a USA Charvel DeMartini "Frenchie" and a Made in Mexico Charvel that was previously owned by the guitar player from Miss May I. Got that one for under $600. I have played the MIM Charvel more than my DeMartini. He did upgrade the guitar with hipshot tuners and updated the bridge I believe but is a hardtail and plays and sounds awesome. The single coil in the neck is awesome for bluesy stuff too.

The MIM Charvels are hit or miss IMO when it comes to the electronics. The necks will all kick ass but probably the main differences would be fret edges and electronics. Mine is the caramelized maple neck and loved the look of it so much I'm getting one on my Chubtone currently being built.

Racerxrated":2ezvzg3d said:
braintheory":2ezvzg3d said:
I just picked up a GREAT condition 2008 USA SD Charvel candy blue. It rivals my Plum 09 SoCal in every way. The Plum chased away 3 Charvel customs, all of which were great. I paid 1100 at GC. If you are patient you can find them for a reasonable price..not the custom shop prices guys seem to be asking.

I’m sure the Balauger stuff is good. But for 1500 or more I’d give Chubtone the order vs buying a Korean made axe for the same coin.
I haven’t admittedly played any Charvel’s from those years, but haven’t been impressed with the US line ones I have played or the recent Select Dinky I tried. I agree that the price seems very high for a Korean made guitar, but am actually considering bringing in my Charvel’s to compare with it because it honestly might be as good or better. I assumed it was a US made guitar when I tried it. I’m admittedly not as particular with playability as others (I really just judge guitars on sound), but I actually may like that Balaguer’s playability better than both my Charvel’s and acoustically it sounded very punchy and lively. In that regard, I don’t think any super Strat I’ve tried under 2k came close. I haven’t tried Charvel’s from 2008-2009, but would be surprised if the liveliness would be as good (playability very possible), but am open minded and always curious to try things

The recent Dean Gordon’s I tried were still probably better than both. They’re usually at least $2500, but he’s had a few more stripped down ones here and there under 2k that were every bit as good (some even better for my taste)

Racerxrated":32mgyf4w said:
braintheory":32mgyf4w said:

One of my biggest regrets is selling a 2008 Charvel I got from Chubtone back in the day. It was in the Slime Green paint scheme and played and sounded awesome. I was such a dumbass for selling it, although the teenager I sold it to was crapping himself when I brought it out of the gigbag. He was almost in tears and his girlfriend was consoling him. LOL

I think that is why I ended up ordering a Chubtone guitar. I is my way to apologize to Curt for me dumping my awesome Charvel. I should be flogged and then drawn and quartered....LOL

I have a 2009 USA Charvel San dimas in polar white that I’m going to post on rt classifieds soon, amazing guitar but I have so many and prefer the lp style.

braintheory":puh8ousc said:
Racerxrated":puh8ousc said:
braintheory":puh8ousc said:

I haven’t admittedly played any Charvel’s from those years, but haven’t been impressed with the US line ones I have played or the recent Select Dinky I tried. I agree that the price seems very high for a Korean made guitar, but am actually considering bringing in my Charvel’s to compare with it because it honestly might be as good or better. I assumed it was a US made guitar when I tried it. I’m admittedly not as particular with playability as others (I really just judge guitars on sound), but I actually may like that Balaguer’s playability better than both my Charvel’s and acoustically it sounded very punchy and lively. In that regard, I don’t think any super Strat I’ve tried under 2k came close. I haven’t tried Charvel’s from 2008-2009, but would be surprised if the liveliness would be as good (playability very possible), but am open minded and always curious to try things

The recent Dean Gordon’s I tried were still probably better than both. They’re usually at least $2500, but he’s had a few more stripped down ones here and there under 2k that were every bit as good (some even better for my taste)
You aren't the only one to say that about the Balauger stuff from Korea. Sounds like they are the real deal. Not a fan of the body styles though; just give me a true strat or dinky body and call it a day. Lol
One thing about resonance; I've actually played some guitars that were incredibly loud acoustically and when I plugged them in, total duds. I used to believe that how they sounded unplugged was a good 'tell' as to the tone plugged in...but in a few cases that hasn't been true.
I've also heard the newer 'selects' from Charvel aren't that great. I really believe that in some cases the 08-09 USA Charvels were partially worked on by custom shop guys...just because I've played a few with perfect playability, tone and feel that are every bit as good as the 3 customs I owned.

romanianreaper":2pr410pv said:
Racerxrated":2pr410pv said:
braintheory":2pr410pv said:

One of my biggest regrets is selling a 2008 Charvel I got from Chubtone back in the day. It was in the Slime Green paint scheme and played and sounded awesome. I was such a dumbass for selling it, although the teenager I sold it to was crapping himself when I brought it out of the gigbag. He was almost in tears and his girlfriend was consoling him. LOL

I think that is why I ended up ordering a Chubtone guitar. I is my way to apologize to Curt for me dumping my awesome Charvel. I should be flogged and then drawn and quartered....LOL
They are very nice...they won't have the 'bling' of a Suhr or TA or other brands but they are just a fun basic hot rodded strat with IMO the best most comfortable neck in the business. I played Hamer USAs for yrs...when I first picked up a Charvel it was like "where the hell have you been!"
:rock:

Back