Henning Bottle Rocket Preamp Pedal...

JerEvil

VMaE4CPl.jpg

I know Steve isn't on here anymore, but I think there are still some folks that like(d) his amps. This is a new preamps pedal he's been working on.

Not sure of price-point yet but he seems to really be digging how it sounds with just his CLR and Two Notes CAB M.

He has this one, and will have 4 more boards that are complete, just need final assembly and testing and then the first 4 will be for sale! In the short term, he'll be doing runs of 10 after this initial run of 5. These 4 will be available on Reverb.

Price I BELIEVE is $599.

There are some clips here:
https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/v ... =5&t=48227

Kapo_Polenton":2i29x5wk said:
Bummer it isn't tube based but looks cool and will probably sound bitching..
Steve mentioned over at GAB it is an LND150 MOSFET-based design and that these MOSFETs bias up and sound like tubes without the hassle...

I am hoping to get one to check out but the clips sound pretty rad.

I think it's cool but at that price point..gimme some tubes. I also don't get this idea that preamp tubes are somehow a hassle. Tons of tube pre pedals, I think he should do one with tubes to be honest. Then it could plug right in to a Marshall and be a monsta'!

I like and have no problems with Steve, but since he put out that clip he must feel it’s a good representation of the product. I didn’t like the clip at all and would be shocked if others feel it sounds good or great. Just my honest opinion.

I was disappointed in the clip as well. Steve knows good Jose tone so I was surprised that he released that, usually iphone clips capture the core tone pretty decent if it sounds good it sounds good from my experience.

This Jose pedal from Ossie Ahsen sounds like a Jose.

I’m fairly certain I’ll get hands on with one as well as some pedals he’s doing.

I do think Steve will be smart enough not to release it if it doesn’t bring the goods. It’s certainly not cheap but I am guessing he’s building in small batches so probably not super cheap to make.

One thing a few other amp builders have mentioned is the BR/CB from a construction standpoint are not cheap either. Perhaps “overbuilt” but I am not knowledgeable ability those things so can’t speak to that.

EDIT:
There are some non-youtube clips he posted there as well

harddriver":etq57jeh said:
I was disappointed in the clip as well. Steve knows good Jose tone so I was surprised that he released that, usually iphone clips capture the core tone pretty decent if it sounds good it sounds good from my experience.

What's the price point on these pedals? I did a quick look but not seeing much

Kapo_Polenton":2rfl7e3b said:
harddriver":2rfl7e3b said:

I did some digging as well and want to say that they were over $1,000. Edit: just did what I thought was the same digging on the price from yesterday and came up with nothing. :confused:

Personally, I liked the Bottle Rocket clip. Taking in the fact that it is an iPhone clip with no real thought put into where the camera should go. The other clips sounded good to me as well. I know better than the fully trust a sound clip coming from a phone that someone else dialed up.

fek":1bw1jhn8 said:
Kapo_Polenton":1bw1jhn8 said:
harddriver":1bw1jhn8 said:

I did some digging as well and want to say that they were over $1,000. Edit: just did what I thought was the same digging on the price from yesterday and came up with nothing. :confused:

Personally, I liked the Bottle Rocket clip. Taking in the fact that it is an iPhone clip with no real thought put into where the camera should go. The other clips sounded good to me as well. I know better than the fully trust a sound clip coming from a phone that someone else dialed up.
Yeah man I took the vid for what it is. Low volume iPhone. He was just showing us on the other forum some quick sounds. I know he was excited as he had a long running build thread about the pedal.

I am for sure getting the one in the vid to check out and put through the paces.

That other pedal posted does sound killer, but no fucking way I’d pay $1k for a preamp pedal.

Kapo_Polenton":15gk2u3v said:
I think it's cool but at that price point..gimme some tubes. I also don't get this idea that preamp tubes are somehow a hassle. Tons of tube pre pedals, I think he should do one with tubes to be honest. Then it could plug right in to a Marshall and be a monsta'!

Totally agree on the tubes. Lot of cool tube preamp pedals out there. The Tubesteader beekeeper is a dumble preamp and half the price. The Kingsley preamps like the Squire are also alot less, but they have a 9month waiting period.

What I think is interesting is that alot of people run the preamp pedals front of amp (FOA) and not as a true preamp into a power amp or power amp&cab sim. I got into the Kingsley preamps to be able to have a pedalboard only solution to go direct. Tube preamp -> Two notes CABM -> PA. It does not sound like a real amp, but I do like having the tubes in the preamp. I think a mosfet solution would be going the wrong way in the direct setup, but may be fine into a tube power amp.

blackba":du6naznk said:
Kapo_Polenton":du6naznk said:

Totally agree on the tubes. Lot of cool tube preamp pedals out there. The Tubesteader beekeeper is a dumble preamp and half the price. The Kingsley preamps like the Squire are also alot less, but they have a 9month waiting period.

What I think is interesting is that alot of people run the preamp pedals front of amp (FOA) and not as a true preamp into a power amp or power amp&cab sim. I got into the Kingsley preamps to be able to have a pedalboard only solution to go direct. Tube preamp -> Two notes CABM -> PA. It does not sound like a real amp, but I do like having the tubes in the preamp. I think a mosfet solution would be going the wrong way in the direct setup, but may be fine into a tube power amp.
I definitely plan to run it in the Return of a few different power sections as well as CAB M to see how it sounds direct.

JerEvil":eamiax8w said:
I should have one of the prototypes on Monday to check out.

Cool, looking forward to your thoughts on it. I hope you can check it before an amp and also into a power amp.

blackba":304h15ty said:
JerEvil":304h15ty said:
I should have one of the prototypes on Monday to check out.

Cool, looking forward to your thoughts on it. I hope you can check it before an amp and also into a power amp.
I do t have a dedicated power amp but will run in the Return of a couple amps, through my PowerCab and a few other applications.

599 is a lot of cash for a pedal
150-200 more and you can get an evh 5150 iii 50 watt
i struggled to sell mine for 700
took me 4-5 months

controlled_voltage":1u7f50vj said:
599 is a lot of cash for a pedal
150-200 more and you can get an evh 5150 iii 50 watt
i struggled to sell mine for 700
took me 4-5 months

I don't want to slag it before we hear it but again as everyone else has said, in that price range there are tube driven pedals that are already available and I think he is missing the mark here by not releasing it with tubes. Looks like he has the room in the chassis to do it so why not give it a go!

Back