Marshall Cabinet Day 1974 Creambacks with R/C cones

Markedman

I saw this and it said to me, "I'm yours, now come and get me!" so I called the guy and told him I'd be by with cash.

I showed up and, well, he had a music store that was getting liquidated and he had several Marshall cabinets, all vintage along with tons of other great guitar stuff. He told me he had over 70 amps and cabinets at one point. He wanted to have a full stack for every year Marshall made one.

After talking about gear and bands, I played trough some amps. It was a 4 hour drive each way so I had to get back on the road quicker than I wanted to. He told me about going through his divorce and I told him I was going through one too.

Here's the cabinet I bought.

Cab by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Well, I got home and took the cabinet out and pulled the back off and,.... We loaded the wrong Cab!!! He was super apologetic when I called him and he agreed to meet on Sunday. He is throwing in some musical gear to make up for the mistake. Blackbacks instead of Creambacks, (with pulsonic cones :LOL: :LOL: ) But, yeah, I am some idiot myself for not noticing. Here's the "other" cab.

1976 Marshall by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Here's the matching bottom with the same date codes. https://reverb.com/item/35767946-1974-m ... il-cabinet

Congrats! Those are great cabs; I've had 2 74s and they are both killer. The first had all RIC cone 1221s and my present one has 3 1777s and one RIC. I just recently grabbed a 72 with all matching date code 1221s, all Pulsonics. They do sound better than my other non Pulsonic cab but not twice the price better (what each speaker sells for online). It's in great shape; 1600.
Btw the cab you referenced on Reverb, those 98700 cones are rare but not Pulsonics. So if your cab comes with those, don't pay Pulsonic prices. Those cones were made by Celestion like the RIC cones were. I'm sure they are killer though.
:rock:

Here's some information that you've probably seen before. https://www.bygonetones.com/vintage-cel ... cones.html This is where I found out about the pulsonic cones after the fire.

"98700 CONES

These are very rare cones and were only used for a short period. They can usually be found on creamback speakers made between May and July 1974 – with date stamps EG, FG, or GG. Very little is known about them, but I can tell you they are some of the nicest cones you can find and are well worth looking out for. Please do not dismiss them as recones. The tone is slightly less mid focused than the pulsonics, so a bit flatter sounding, but still a very nice smooth & fluid tone, not harsh or gritty."

Markedman":vkdy1t94 said:
Here's some information that you've probably seen before. https://www.bygonetones.com/vintage-cel ... cones.html This is where I found out about the pulsonic cones after the fire.

"98700 CONES

These are very rare cones and were only used for a short period. They can usually be found on creamback speakers made between May and July 1974 – with date stamps EG, FG, or GG. Very little is known about them, but I can tell you they are some of the nicest cones you can find and are well worth looking out for. Please do not dismiss them as recones. The tone is slightly less mid focused than the pulsonics, so a bit flatter sounding, but still a very nice smooth & fluid tone, not harsh or gritty."
Yep, I was all over that website while I was looking for a pre rola(Pulsonic) cab. I learned a lot; especially the fact that Pulsonics can be found as recent as some cabs from 75! Interesting indeed.
I learned about those 98700s when a RTer here texted me about a cab that had 2 original and 2 reconed 70s Celestions in a later 90s Marshall stereo cab...he sent me pics and he had 2 with those cones. I told him to buy it as they are rare indeed. But not Pulsonics. I personally think the RIC cones are amazing for high gain...right now I have a 72 Super Tremolo running to my 72 cab with Pulsonics and the 74 with RIC and 1777 cones. Amazing.
The C+ Coli also loves those cabs...of course it loves EVERY cab I throw at it.
That cab you are buying is in good condition and will sound killer.

Btw, that dude on Reverb is on CRACK if he thinks anyone will pay that coin for non Pulsonics. If he does then there's a sucker born every minute. For that coin you can get a cab with the true pre Rola 20w loaded up. THAT is the most sought after, with the early H30s right there as well.
Then he says "most guys that play them prefer the 98700s to the Pulsonics".
Who are 'most guys'? These are rare, only used for a few months. Then they moved on to something better lol. I'm sure they are cool, all vintage Celestions sound really good to great. I've heard the clips of these, they sound like the 1777 to me. Nice sounding.

But not 5K nice sounding. That ad needs to be on "crackhead of the day". Haha

I am the one racer mentioned above about the 98700 cones. I love them. If you ever played a pulsonic and thought it was a little bit too crunchy in the mids...the 98700 may be perfect for you. Very similar but just ever so slightly less colored.

SpiderWars":7n54n58x said:
I am the one racer mentioned above about the 98700 cones. I love them. If you ever played a pulsonic and thought it was a little bit too crunchy in the mids...the 98700 may be perfect for you. Very similar but just ever so slightly less colored.

Great! I've read a lot about these speakers and it does sound like I will be happy with the tone.

Nice score--About a month ago I came across a slant cab but not near as nice yours. It had these speakers in it which I assume are mid 80's Blackbacks. Can anyone chime in and clarify this for me as Im no expert...Not meaning to hijack your post but it looked like a good place to ask this question.

Attachments

• P9160034.JPG
    P9160034.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 287
  • P9160033.JPG
    P9160033.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 265
  • P9160036.JPG
    P9160036.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 268
Nice cabinet! what did you end up paying. :thumbsup:

I would like to play an original pulsonic coned 25 watt greenback cab from about 70-72 just the finally hear if they are/were the magical speakers everyone raves about I have some 78 12M25 blackbacks I feel aren't in the same ballpark, I just don't like them as much as my 12H30's.

Until then I am quite happy with my 78-79 12H30's 75 and 55Hz.

harddriver":1crt9iw5 said:
Nice cabinet! what did you end up paying. :thumbsup:

I would like to play an original pulsonic coned 25 watt greenback cab from about 70-72 just the finally hear if they are/were the magical speakers everyone raves about I have some 78 12M25 blackbacks I feel aren't in the same ballpark, I just don't like them as much as my 12H30's.

Until then I am quite happy with my 78-79 12H30's 75 and 55Hz.
I've tried 2 blackback cabs; one M25 and one H30. Not impressed with either to be honest. Maybe they were worn out but they weren't flubby..just sounded sterile, no character. My 2 74 cabs with cream backs blew those 2 away. Now, with my 72 Pulsonic cab it is a notch above my 74. More clarity, chewier, just a better all around tone. Worth more than double the 74? If I hadn't played the Pulsonic cab, the 74 sounds killer and I'd have been satisfied with it.
But the Pulsonics do have something over any other Celestion I've played.

After playing through it for a couple of hours my drummer exclaimed, "Is it me or is it sounding better?" It opened back up from sleeping for years and years. Sweet sound for sure!

"Nice cabinet! what did you end up paying." I rarely talk a price down, $1,250.00. It's worth it to me.

I bought a Boogie Mark V mini stack a couple of months ago and the fellow said he left some "wiggle" room in the price, I laughed and said "that's nice." I ended up selling it for more than double what I paid for it and Karma sent this cabinet my way for about the same price as the profit I made selling the Mark V.

1974 Marshall 1960a by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Back