Joe Holmes' modded Marshalls

pstar":wt1j3gxf said:
steve_k":wt1j3gxf said:
sah5150":wt1j3gxf said:
steve_k":wt1j3gxf said:
How's the Matrix for driving your wet side?
Fucking Awesome! Better and WAY, WAY lighter than the VHT 2/50/2 I used to have. The Matrix is loud enough through my 16 ohm Left and Right cabs to compete with the Cherry Bomb through the Center cab set for Bleeding Eardrum Coliseum levels... Just ask the guys at the LA Amp Show last year... :LOL: :LOL:

Steve

Gower / Arredondo clone - check
SDE3000 - check
Matrix 1000 - check
3 x 412's - check

send report after the experiment,,,, now hurry up am waiting... ;)

danarredondo - in check, in progress eta hopefully soon (did u catch that, :thumbsup: )
6 x 412 - check,,, possibly re figure -- 1-4x12, 2- 2x12ev (2--1x12ev)
1000- 1 check only have old ibanez unit & lexicon kicking around

re: above rig----curious about the tone of matrix compared to using pure tube muscle. Ya well aware of trade-off, but very noticeable or not is the question.

well, have a couple 400 slaves, a 200 slave collecting dust,, hhhm, all massive power, but the weight comes with it. Non issue if crew is doing all the setups, but if i personally if to do setups, than may become issue. In between various situations.

well, its just the wet side. tube pre/FX and power. don't think the matrix would be an issue.

steve_k":1ronqeuf said:
pstar":1ronqeuf said:
sah5150":1ronqeuf said:
How's the Matrix for driving your wet side?
Fucking Awesome! Better and WAY, WAY lighter than the VHT 2/50/2 I used to have. The Matrix is loud enough through my 16 ohm Left and Right cabs to compete with the Cherry Bomb through the Center cab set for Bleeding Eardrum Coliseum levels... Just ask the guys at the LA Amp Show last year... :LOL: :LOL:

Steve

Gower / Arredondo clone - check
SDE3000 - check
Matrix 1000 - check
3 x 412's - check

send report after the experiment,,,, now hurry up am waiting... ;)

danarredondo - in check, in progress eta hopefully soon (did u catch that, :thumbsup: )
6 x 412 - check,,, possibly re figure -- 1-4x12, 2- 2x12ev (2--1x12ev)
1000- 1 check only have old ibanez unit & lexicon kicking around

re: above rig----curious about the tone of matrix compared to using pure tube muscle. Ya well aware of trade-off, but very noticeable or not is the question.

well, have a couple 400 slaves, a 200 slave collecting dust,, hhhm, all massive power, but the weight comes with it. Non issue if crew is doing all the setups, but if i personally if to do setups, than may become issue. In between various situations.

well, its just the wet side. tube pre/FX and power. don't think the matrix would be an issue.
It won't be and you'll be saving 50 lbs...

Steve

pstar":3lvr7gnb said:
probably closer to 90-100 lbs. savings
In your case, yes. I was comparing my old VHT 2/50/2 to the Matrix...

Steve

Don't normally bump Ancient threads, but this one is really a must-read for some of you who are into the modded Marshall-Jose thing AND the W/D/W setup..I have a 2nd SDE 3000 on the way and came across this thread. GREAT info here how guys used to set up their rig with some old school rack FX units; some for the color and in this case Joe Holmes used his PCM 41 as a boost in his Jose Marshall.
Enjoy!
:rock:

Racerxrated":2ei34l8v said:
Don't normally bump Ancient threads, but this one is really a must-read for some of you who are into the modded Marshall-Jose thing AND the W/D/W setup..I have a 2nd SDE 3000 on the way and came across this thread. GREAT info here how guys used to set up their rig with some old school rack FX units; some for the color and in this case Joe Holmes used his PCM 41 as a boost in his Jose Marshall.
Enjoy!
I haven't heard Joe's sounding with Jose amp, but aren't Gower's amp kinda modern sounding or is Joe aiming for the modern sound as well?

Thunkful":1xnfwyek said:
Racerxrated":1xnfwyek said:
Enjoy!
I haven't heard Joe's sounding with Jose amp, but aren't Gower's amp kinda modern sounding or is Joe aiming for the modern sound as well?
So Gower's stuff, that I've owned is pretty close to a Jose Master Marshall, with some differences but the Cali mods that I've owned (from Fortin and Gower) both had the volume drop when the master vol was pulled for more gain. That is what the Jose Master does if it's switchable. Both of the Cali mods I owned were hot rod 80s Marshall, not modern at all. But Dan and Mike can/did do other mods as well, giving more of a modern Marshall feel. I haven't owned any myself.
AFAIK Joe Holmes Jose Marshalls were more of a Jose low gain mod...hence the need for using his PCM 41 as a boost through the insert loop. Any high gain Jose that I've played (from Cameron, Friedman, FJA, Voodoo etc) needs no boost at all..plenty of gain available.

So on the SDE-3000's, if you set them to 26ms no repeats, mod on, what do you set the other settings to? I was looking around on some sites and here but I dont see anything..

nzsteve":31rab0vj said:
So on the SDE-3000's, if you set them to 26ms no repeats, mod on, what do you set the other settings to? I was looking around on some sites and here but I dont see anything..
Mine is 26, out 50, rate 34, depth 99. Sounds good to me....I think I got that setting from HRI forum. At one point I had an SDE 1000 that I ran in stereo, I forget how I set the other side Chorus. I know my delay is 550 on one side and the other was 275. Worked well, I'll set the 2nd SDE 3000 the same way.

This is an old thread that recently resurfaced so I am pretty sure I already mentioned this years ago BUT.. I saw Holmes with Ozzy live and remembered feeling that it dragged. I just went back and watched the shows from that tour and the tempos were off for me and the tuning was terrible. That was the beginning of Ozzy's dropped sludge tuning. It has got to be hard to really feel the attack in the strings when you are tuned that low. I also was not that blown away by the tone. It is spongy feeling. For me, the benchmark of live tone has always been Mick Mars. Now that is a crushing wide fat tone that cuts. That guy had great ears. He really got it dialed in by Feelgood.

Kapo_Polenton":d8xs8md6 said:
For me, the benchmark of live tone has always been Mick Mars. Now that is a crushing wide fat tone that cuts. That guy had great ears. He really got it dialed in by Feelgood.

I’m going to second this. The core of that tone is Soldano SLO, W/D/W, Eventide Harmonizer detune, custom humbucker 16ohm, greenback cabs. Mick has the detune dialed in perfectly. It doesn’t sound super chorusy like Eddie’s detune sound. Mick’s detune tone make his sound huge and wide. The cutting part comes from the voicing of the SLO.

Mr. Willy":1mbcktor said:
Kapo_Polenton":1mbcktor said:
For me, the benchmark of live tone has always been Mick Mars. Now that is a crushing wide fat tone that cuts. That guy had great ears. He really got it dialed in by Feelgood.

I’m going to second this. The core of that tone is Soldano SLO, W/D/W, Eventide Harmonizer detune, custom humbucker 16ohm, greenback cabs. Mick has the detune dialed in perfectly. It doesn’t sound super chorusy like Eddie’s detune sound. Mick’s detune tone make his sound huge and wide. The cutting part comes from the voicing of the SLO.
I remember seeing them in 1990 at Alpine Valley here in Wi....they played with Tesla, Bonham and I forget who else....his tone was killer.

Back