Joe Holmes' modded Marshalls

chumbucket":3tpczwrb said:
So for those of us without a PCM-41 or an SDE-3000, can I get some recommendations on delay settings for a W/D/W setup with three 4x12's all right next to each other ? I don't have a lot of room to spread out (3 Stooges reference) but want to get a huge sound. I'm using an Intellifex or a G Major.

Well, a Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay would do it easily.
Set it to "Wide" & Stereo. Sweep Speed to taste, maybe 0.5Hz. Short Chorus is 20ms Pre-Delay. If you switch to Long Chorus it goes up to 50ms Pre-Delay, which works well for leads but gets a bit choppy and 'bathroomy' for rhythms.

Pre-Delay/Delay Time is critical in a wide chorus sound.

EDIT: I'm editing this post to add tips for the Gmajor...

Okay, I'll try.

Yeah it should be easy to do with an Intellifex or Gmajor.
Essentially what Joe did was use a Doubling effect, using delays & chorus. There are tiny micro-delays that double the sound without them cluttering each other up, or at least trying not to clutter each other up. And of course the Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay was originally known as a Doubler. Tom Scholz pretty much was ahead of his time when he did this in the 1970s, before modifying Marshalls became a big thing to do!

With a Chorus patch, set the Speed to really slow, say 0.2Hz or something. TC Electronic mark their chorus Speed in Hertz, so should be easy to do. When running stereo, make sure one of the sides (either wet or dry, but not both) are 100% wet, to get maximum width. The point is to have a modulating pitch on one side, so it sounds like it's moving back and forth from the 'static' (non-modulated) side. Mixing the wet & dry signals reduces the width of the stereo image.
If you can, set the Delay Time. Probably 20ms or 50ms like with the Rockman. This is what gets that WIDE stereo image. 50ms is what makes those slow bend lead licks sooooooooooaaaaaaaarrr.
Then set the Width/Depth to a very low setting, say 4ms period? Therefore the signal will modulate from 20ms to 24ms, or 50ms to 54ms.

However if you run a high Width setting with a long Delay Time, the pitch modulates like a floppy garden hose with the tap turned up flat stick- ie extreme warble. Lovely for clean sounds, seasick for gainy sounds.

If you can't control the Pre-Delay/Delay Time, then turn the Width/Depth right up, to get that width. It may or may not compensate for warble by adjusting the Delay Time at the same time. I don't know. Maybe the fact that some don't compensate, is why a lot of choruses get copped for sounding icky.

Go see Mark Day on what he said about John Albani, who played with Lee Aaron in her Metal Queen days. It's posted in the Michael Sweet Orange amps thread. He used a doubling chorus effect in an AD202 delay box, with his Marshalls. Also did a similar thing to Michael by boosting his amps with an EQ unit. But he did it before Michael.

The other thing to do which should be very easy on an Intellifex, is use micropitch-shifting. otherwise known as Detune. One one side of the signal (say the Left), set the pitch down -9 cents. On the other side maybe try setting the pitch up +11 cents. I dunno, experiment. It works better if the values are not the same. This is basically the Eddie Van Halen/Steve Stevens method, or known as Non-Cyclical Chorus. You basically get the altered pitch but it doesn't move, so there's no wavering. The thing is sometimes it can sound a little "shrill", well for me anyway.
Mike Landau probably does it the best- he uses the Detune/Uptune on one side of his signal to create the wide stereo image, but also runs his Tri-Stereo Chorus for that water ripple chorusing effect. It's all in parallel so the modulating signals don't add to each other and increase the warbling, rather they tend to smooth the warbling out. It's complex though!

petejt":2swmzhgc said:
chumbucket":2swmzhgc said:
So for those of us without a PCM-41 or an SDE-3000, can I get some recommendations on delay settings for a W/D/W setup with three 4x12's all right next to each other ? I don't have a lot of room to spread out (3 Stooges reference) but want to get a huge sound. I'm using an Intellifex or a G Major.

Well, a Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay would do it easily.
Set it to "Wide" & Stereo. Sweep Speed to taste, maybe 0.5Hz. Short Chorus is 20ms Pre-Delay. If you switch to Long Chorus it goes up to 50ms Pre-Delay, which works well for leads but gets a bit choppy and 'bathroomy' for rhythms.

Pre-Delay/Delay Time is critical in a wide chorus sound.

EDIT: I'm editing this post to add tips for the Gmajor...

Okay, I'll try.

Yeah it should be easy to do with an Intellifex or Gmajor.
Essentially what Joe did was use a Doubling effect, using delays & chorus. There are tiny micro-delays that double the sound without them cluttering each other up, or at least trying not to clutter each other up. And of course the Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay was originally known as a Doubler. Tom Scholz pretty much was ahead of his time when he did this in the 1970s, before modifying Marshalls became a big thing to do!

With a Chorus patch, set the Speed to really slow, say 0.2Hz or something. TC Electronic mark their chorus Speed in Hertz, so should be easy to do. When running stereo, make sure one of the sides (either wet or dry, but not both) are 100% wet, to get maximum width. The point is to have a modulating pitch on one side, so it sounds like it's moving back and forth from the 'static' (non-modulated) side. Mixing the wet & dry signals reduces the width of the stereo image.
If you can, set the Delay Time. Probably 20ms or 50ms like with the Rockman. This is what gets that WIDE stereo image. 50ms is what makes those slow bend lead licks sooooooooooaaaaaaaarrr.
Then set the Width/Depth to a very low setting, say 4ms period? Therefore the signal will modulate from 20ms to 24ms, or 50ms to 54ms.

However if you run a high Width setting with a long Delay Time, the pitch modulates like a floppy garden hose with the tap turned up flat stick- ie extreme warble. Lovely for clean sounds, seasick for gainy sounds.

If you can't control the Pre-Delay/Delay Time, then turn the Width/Depth right up, to get that width. It may or may not compensate for warble by adjusting the Delay Time at the same time. I don't know. Maybe the fact that some don't compensate, is why a lot of choruses get copped for sounding icky.

Go see Mark Day on what he said about John Albani, who played with Lee Aaron in her Metal Queen days. It's posted in the Michael Sweet Orange amps thread. He used a doubling chorus effect in an AD202 delay box, with his Marshalls. Also did a similar thing to Michael by boosting his amps with an EQ unit. But he did it before Michael.

The other thing to do which should be very easy on an Intellifex, is use micropitch-shifting. otherwise known as Detune. One one side of the signal (say the Left), set the pitch down -9 cents. On the other side maybe try setting the pitch up +11 cents. I dunno, experiment. It works better if the values are not the same. This is basically the Eddie Van Halen/Steve Stevens method, or known as Non-Cyclical Chorus. You basically get the altered pitch but it doesn't move, so there's no wavering. The thing is sometimes it can sound a little "shrill", well for me anyway.
Mike Landau probably does it the best- he uses the Detune/Uptune on one side of his signal to create the wide stereo image, but also runs his Tri-Stereo Chorus for that water ripple chorusing effect. It's all in parallel so the modulating signals don't add to each other and increase the warbling, rather they tend to smooth the warbling out. It's complex though!

Thanks for the parameter tips man, I appreciate that. Unfortunately, the only Rockman gear I kept from back in the day is the graphic EQ (which is actually a very cool unit).

chumbucket":1we1lthz said:
Thanks for the parameter tips man, I appreciate that. Unfortunately, the only Rockman gear I kept from back in the day is the graphic EQ (which is actually a very cool unit).

No worries mate, I am glad to help.

Pity you only kept the EQ, as the Stereo Chorus/Delay INSTANTLY gets that wide chorus sound that Joe Holmes etc. had, and much more simply too.

There are others around that know a lot more specifics about the Detuning stuff than me. Hopefully they will chime in with better advice. Although I do think that using the delay & modulation will sound a little more organic than digital micropitch-shifting/detune.

petejt":1vvjpxhl said:
chumbucket":1vvjpxhl said:

No worries mate, I am glad to help.

Pity you only kept the EQ, as the Stereo Chorus/Delay INSTANTLY gets that wide chorus sound that Joe Holmes etc. had, and much more simply too.

There are others around that know a lot more specifics about the Detuning stuff than me. Hopefully they will chime in with better advice. Although I do think that using the delay & modulation will sound a little more organic than digital micropitch-shifting/detune.

I might be able to borrow a Rockman Chorus/Delay from a buddy of mine who used to own nearly all of those things way back when. That way I might be able to mimic it's settings and do an A/B comparison.

BTW, wasn't there a Boss SE-70 somewhere in Joe Holmes' signal chain too? I believe I have one of those collecting dust around here.

petejt":ui6ssii3 said:

Man, I am such a nerd. I see a Joe Holmes amp mod thread and I got all excited. Then I realize it's an old post and there is no new info yet about Joe's amps. probably because we've re-hashed it already 97 times going back to the HC days.

And petejt is totally correct on how to run the Rockman Chorus. I had forgotten how it had the 2 sliders with I think 4 positions on them and the way he is using his is exactly how we used to set ours. And we just went straight into the Furman PQ3 (low level in - low level out. You had to drive that input to get all that gain) out of the Furman mono into the Rockman Chorus which was then split to the input of two Marshall half stacks. We didn't need no stinking FX loops :LOL: :LOL:

Wow this thread really brought back some memories for me thanks guys.

I started playing about the summer of '93 and by the time I got around to knowing (kind of) how to pick stuff up by ear Zakk leaving and Joe Holmes joining Ozzy was all over the mags at the time and he and Cantrell were the first guys I really looked up to as a guitar player. At the time all I really knew Zakk for was the Pride & Glory thing, so for me Joe was the first Ozzy guitarist I was ever into and very aware of.

And then POOF he was gone.

fluff191":2foydcw3 said:
Wow this thread really brought back some memories for me thanks guys.

I started playing about the summer of '93 and by the time I got around to knowing (kind of) how to pick stuff up by ear Zakk leaving and Joe Holmes joining Ozzy was all over the mags at the time and he and Cantrell were the first guys I really looked up to as a guitar player. At the time all I really knew Zakk for was the Pride & Glory thing, so for me Joe was the first Ozzy guitarist I was ever into and very aware of.

And then POOF he was gone.

It wasn't that quick of a poof..... he played with Ozzy for 5 years. :D

Chubtone":260f6302 said:
petejt":260f6302 said:

Man, I am such a nerd. I see a Joe Holmes amp mod thread and I got all excited. Then I realize it's an old post and there is no new info yet about Joe's amps. probably because we've re-hashed it already 97 times going back to the HC days.
[/quote]

Don't worry I got excited too. I never really saw much of this stuff discussed at HC when I was there. So I am very glad to see it here.

Chubtone":260f6302 said:
And petejt is totally correct on how to run the Rockman Chorus. I had forgotten how it had the 2 sliders with I think 4 positions on them and the way he is using his is exactly how we used to set ours. And we just went straight into the Furman PQ3 (low level in - low level out. You had to drive that input to get all that gain) out of the Furman mono into the Rockman Chorus which was then split to the input of two Marshall half stacks. We didn't need no stinking FX loops :LOL: :LOL:

Ah thanks heaps Chubtone! :thumbsup: I just found the old manual online but experimented heaps with it. Yeah the two sliders are basically Mixers for the wet/dry ratio- this plays A LOT into how it sounds. The manual also has a neat little mixer graphic diagram to explain it. It' has good info for anyone using chorus or other modulation effects, as it explains the concept really well. Think railways...

When you set the right-side slider to Stereo, the Mix options are:
"Wide" is panned fully wet/dry and sounds the widest. 100% wet on the Processed output, 0% wet on the Dry Output
"Norm" is the general Rockman setting- 90% wet/10% dry (P), 10% wet/90% dry (D). The stereo field comes "in" a bit.
"Equal" is a 50/50 mix equally panned on each side- sounds VERY wet but not as wide. I think
"Subtle" is more "damp" than wet, more of a 10%wet/90% dry mix on both sides.

I've tried the Rockman mono in front of one amp, splitting stereo to two amps, in the effects loop, and post-amp wet/dry/wet.
Haha I don't use the effects loop either! My Marshall doesn't even have one ;)

What ever Joe was using when he played in Tariff in the old Hollywood days, it was to this day, once of the best sounded souped up Marshall tone's Ive ever heard. Of course the guy could play his ass off too. I remember them doing a version of "White Room" from Cream and I almost dropped my pants.

70strathead":a8lh6in9 said:
What ever Joe was using when he played in Tariff in the old Hollywood days, it was to this day, once of the best sounded souped up Marshall tone's Ive ever heard. Of course the guy could play his ass off too. I remember them doing a version of "White Room" from Cream and I almost dropped my pants.
I played in a band with the same singer from Tariff, (He is from Utah) in a band called Terra. When they played here his tone and playing completely reset my clock. After the show I asked his tech (what was he just playing through?) He said those are his Jose F@#ing modified marshalls. He was using two of his six heads, with PCM41s in the loop. That began my search to find out who this Jose guy was. I ended up getting to be friends with both Joe and Jose. Ya White room with squeals all through it. Priceless.

From another forum

New Joe Holmes project coming by summer
With an announcement coming in the next month!! It is unlike anything he has done before.....fans of heavier hard rock/metal will digg it!! Vocally think, Deep Purple meets Soundgarden!! I'm friends w/ the singer and they've been working on this for almost a year & go into the studio Wednesday to finish it up over the next month. There are some bigger names involved, the announcement will confirm all this....they've decided on the name & photo shoots w/ a big name photog are booked for this week. I'll keep everyone posted!!

below is a pic of Joe in the studio working on the project which the singer emailed me!!
I've heard a few unmixed/unmastered tracks from this & it sounds HUGE!! I'll keep everyone posted when I get the ok to reveal more!!

zz666 wrote:
Can't wait, he's got some sweet sounding Jose modded Marshalls

They have been put to great use on this album!! You will like what you hear!!

Chubtone":3d3u4deb said:
HOLLYWOOD":3d3u4deb said:
:thumbsup: This thread has gotta be one of the most interesting reads on this forum at the present time. Very Cool info. :yes: Is it just me or does anyone else notice in most of these clips on you tube while Joe is playing awesome, Ozzy is not singing too well at all????? :confused: YUK! I like Ozzy but I am begining to wonder if he got a pass on too many unacceptable preformances? Someone should have got that mutha a pitch correction unit. :LOL: :LOL:

I saw Ozzy in 1981 (with Rhoads!!!!) and '83 with Jake and '88 with Zakk and '95 or so with Joe Holmes. I don't remember ever seeing Ozzy where his voice was good or on pitch. Every live video or pro release he's ever done is probably extremely doctored.

Great thread ! I saw Ozzy in 1981 with Rhoads too and had no issue at all with his voice that night in Montreal! :) Eric

Back