Opinions on the Tom Anderson 2-bolt neck joint?

EXPcustom

I always loved Anderson guitars and am very familiar with their 4 bolt necks but what is the deal with the 2 bolt design?

Do you guys like them?

Are they better than 4 bolt Andersons?

I noticed Suhr is now more popular than Anderson guitars so I was wondering if the 2 bolt neck design had anything to do with it. Then again I never owned a Suhr so I dont know what I am missing. :cry:

YES!!! got a Drop classic I dig with the 2 bolt setup, I tried to jerk the neck around to knock the E strings out of alignment, CANNOT be done. That v they notch into the neck and pocket is brilliant, the only downside I see is you'll NEVER put anything else on that body but another 2 bolt neck...
:thumbsup: for overcoming a potential flaw in the bolt on design? thumbs up....

close up of my neck pocket on my andy

Attachments

• droptop_trnsblue12.jpg
    droptop_trnsblue12.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 3,534
I own a '96 with a four bolt neck, but I've played his two bolt design and didn't notice anything "odd" about it...felt great. Tom claims its more stable than a 4 bolt due to the contouring of the pocket. I wouldn't be concerned if I wanted another Anderson (which would be nice!).

What made you say that Suhr is more popluar these days...is that based on fact or actual production numbers?

Yeah, I should prolly preface that, if your looking for a 2 bolt Anderson you cant do wrong if the neck pocket is part of your consideration. That said, I think a few guys (including myself) around here are digging what's coming out of Suhr these days, I think the Pro series stuff is on a similar playing field with a Droptop classic, IMO, and a few cents cheaper... :scared:
Honestly, I dig both my Suhrs and my Andy for different reasons, but they are both winners, insane action, multiple tone options, you cant go wrong either way...

rupe":w6z7wruu said:
I own a '96 with a four bolt neck, but I've played his two bolt design and didn't notice anything "odd" about it...felt great. Tom claims its more stable than a 4 bolt due to the contouring of the pocket. I wouldn't be concerned if I wanted another Anderson (which would be nice!).

What made you say that Suhr is more popluar these days...is that based on fact or actual production numbers?

I just noticed that Tom Anderson guitars were more popular than Suhrs throughout the 90's and early 2000's and I had seen Anderson guitars all the time at gigs and on forums, then in the last few years Suhrs are everywhere both online and at shows and I hardly hear of Anderson guitars like I used to.

I noticed that a few major up and coming artists are using Suhrs as well.

ImportedPhotos03140.jpg

My Drop Top is the 4 bolt design. But if Anderson is making guitars with 2 bolts you KNOW damm well that he knows what he's doing. The Pro Series guitars are priced great since Fender keeps jacking up their prices. Probably why Suhr has gained some popularity, also artist endorsements and whatnot. And the Moderns have gone over well it seems

Gun to my head though and I'm grabbing my Anderson because of the switching system with the pickups, the tone of it, and i love that neck. But i love everything on my Pro Series but the Drop Top is just more versatile. Anderson seems to have come up with some great ideas like the switcheroo system, the B5 switching, the vintage voicing system where the humbucker uses a 500K pot, and the singles use 250's in the H/S/S setup.

Really though, Suhr and Anerson are as good as it gets, just use your ears and go with the options you KNOW you want. I've found that the basswood/maple combination for both companies just sound right to me.

I've owned 5 Anderson and 1 of them was the 2 bolt neck. I didn't feel as if it was better or worse.

EXPcustom":27pf55lm said:
rupe":27pf55lm said:

I just noticed that Tom Anderson guitars were more popular than Suhrs throughout the 90's and early 2000's and I had seen Anderson guitars all the time at gigs and on forums, then in the last few years Suhrs are everywhere both online and at shows and I hardly hear of Anderson guitars like I used to.

That is because Tom Anderson is one of the founding fathers of superstrats and was invloved with many companies back then, one secret are the 80s BC Rich Gunslingers which are ANdersons pretty much. Also 80s Schecters.

van hellion":25yp5v01 said:
i have 2 drop tops with this design and they are AWESOME!! love the neck joint!

A Wood

I was just watching some u tube on you, sir, and it is YOU who is awesome... :thumbsup:

I just sold off my '06 2 bolt to JCJ, but still have two older 4 bolt andersons... the 2 bolt seemed stiffer and less likely to be moved around. I love em all though.

Digital Jams":1uo12x2b said:
EXPcustom":1uo12x2b said:
rupe":1uo12x2b said:

That is because Tom Anderson is one of the founding fathers of superstrats and was invloved with many companies back then, one secret are the 80s BC Rich Gunslingers which are ANdersons pretty much. Also 80s Schecters.
Rands too. He also did some artist necks for Kramer (EVH, Vivian Campbell, Elliott Easton, ect).

Digital Jams":3vzoryvo said:
EXPcustom":3vzoryvo said:
rupe":3vzoryvo said:

Was the Anderson Drop Top the first regular production strat style guitar to use a maple top?

danyeo":vkg46ak8 said:
Digital Jams":vkg46ak8 said:
EXPcustom":vkg46ak8 said:
rupe":vkg46ak8 said:

Was the Anderson Drop Top the first regular production strat style guitar to use a maple top?
No, but it was the first one to bend it across a forearm contour...prior to the Drop Top, they were flat tops. I believe Charvel is credited for the first flame top Strat-style guitars.

Back