THE Rockman thread

McLeanAB":1z1xp2qw said:
So... I just found a lovely X100... has the original packaging/boxes... sent her off to an AWESOME guy named Mike, who replaced all the caps, cleaned all the sliders, replaced the input gain, resoldered all of the joints... sounds JUST like I remember from the 80's!!! Woot! So much fun...

AND, it doesn't matter if I'm running direct into monitors, in the front of my amp, or in the effects loop, this frakkin' thing sounds the same anywhere... so funny!

However, has anyone ever run a boost into the front end to get a little more distortion/gain? Not sure I want to, just curious... great sustain on chords, but chugs are severely lacking!

I guess you could try an EQ pedal just after it to bring up the low end. If you use too much bass before the distortion, it gets muddy.
That is why a lot of guitarists now use overdrive pedals set 'clean' in front of big amps like the Dual Rectifier etc. to reduce some of the low end going into the amp. That way the bass that is raised AFTER the distortion, it sounds bigger but without the woofing.

Ironic, I was digging through my gear stash and found my midi octopus. My question is can I use it with my CAE dual line mixer?

exo-metal":3my0uh1l said:
Ironic, I was digging through my gear stash and found my midi octopus. My question is can I use it with my CAE dual line mixer?

I´m wondering what you would want it to do? The Octopus has 8 switching jacks, but the mixer has no switching functions.

Today I pulled my Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay out of storage and tested it out...damn I think it's broken :( . I tested it with another amp too and it was crackling, making a high-pitched whining noise, couldn't hear the chorusing or delay effect, distorting the signal. I bought it for about $150 a few years ago and now they've shot up to $400 AUD. Bugga. I hope it is repairable.

EDIT: Phew, nothing was wrong with it at all! Just had to replace the power adaptor.

RockmanCentral has returned! Check out the updates:

http://www.rockmancentral.com/

Now_Open.jpg

It was EQ'ed through the roof.

petejt":21o28m8o said:
Hi rbc,

You wouldn't happen know how the Rockman was modified for Def Leppard, which they used on their Hysteria album back in 1987?

I heard it was modified the same as for ZZ Top.

To me the tone sounds a bit more "chunkier" and slightly less "boxy" than the standard Rockman sound. But it's not as "low-middy" as the original Boston sound.

I haven't been on Rig-Talk in too long a time. This is my updated Rockman rig. I took the picture right after putting hardware together, so I don't have any settings dialed into it:

Cheers!

Attachments

• Rig-with-DI.JPG
    Rig-with-DI.JPG
    937.3 KB · Views: 191
Back