HD500 or Nova system for fx only?

DEWD

I want to get a multi fx unit but I can't decide between the HD500 and the Nova system. I like that the HD can do the 4 cable method and I'm sure the Nova sounds great but their recent price drop leads me to believe there is a new version coming out at NAMM. So which would you choose for fx only? I don't care about the amp modeling in the HD500.

I had a Nova System; sold it, got the L6 M9 used it for about 9 months, sold it, got the Nova System. The M9 had many more options, and you can order the signal chain any way you want, where the NS has a fixed effect order. The NS has less flexibility, and I think it sounds better...besides I didn't need all the flexibility in the M9...not a big effects guy, but I want my effects to sound good to me...the M9 sounds good, but the NS sounded great to me. IMO/YMMV

If you just want effects, I dig the Nova System. If you want 4CM, what about the M13? I would not be surprised by a new Nova at NAMM, but I dig the one I have...if it was a bit smaller, that would be better...like the case their vocal version is in...forgot what it's called.

BTW, I dig the Nova enough that it convinced me to get the G-System. I have both, but I also recently picked up a new Zoom G2.1Nu...(I've been digging Zoom for decades).

I was also looking at the G system but it has so much crap I'd never use on it. Very cool features but just overkill for my needs. How do the fx compare to the Nova?

Most of the fx I use are loop based so the Nova would probably be just fine. How does the eq and noise gate work on the Nova? I never read anything about using those features. Is the eq like a 6 or 10 band graphic?

Yes, that's what I thought about the G-System, but I'm using it as the control center for a direct board.

The NS has a 3-band semi-parametric EQ (better control but a bit more work to dial in, I use it sparingly for effect not to correct the base tone, which I set on the amp or whatever follows the NS - so YMMV), the noise gate is very usable and tweakable, with settings for hard or soft that control how quickly the gate is applied. I have a Nova Drive which I use (and dig) with the G, so I use the NS OD and Dist in the NS, in front of a clean Fender tube amp, or direct. I'm considering building a small direct board with the NS, the speaker sims are OK, but very limited...I may get another Tech 21 Character Series (I have a Liverpool) to run after the NS. I've tried the Liverpool using the Left/Mono out of the NS, which sounded fine to me. edit: I want to have a stereo option, and maybe a dual amp option (getting another Liverpool or maybe the British?)

Ya, I'd recommend the m9 or m13 for effects only. Most owners swear by them. I've never played one so I'm only going by what I've heard but they seem to be worth looking into.

The nova is better in my expirience. I have had both the M13 and nova both with my roadster, And I used the nova more. the M13 just sat there until I decided to sell the m13. The M13 models pedal, and yeah they are good, but the nova just sounded better.

I tried the M13 and bought the NS. I really like the M13, and bought the NS. I already had a Nova Drive and Nova Delay, and still bought the NS. It has it's limits, but the quality of it's sound is not one of them.

I tried the HD500 with the 4CM and it really screwed with the sound of the amp. Ancient Alien says he was getting good results from a similiar setup though.

danyeo":3ao8x2ih said:
I tried the HD500 with the 4CM and it really screwed with the sound of the amp. Ancient Alien says he was getting good results from a similiar setup though.
I had the same results. I mainly bought bit for that purpose as backup for my G-System. It killed my amps tone. Had to take it back.

rsm":1ivbu6b6 said:
I had a Nova System; sold it, got the L6 M9 used it for about 9 months, sold it, got the Nova System. The M9 had many more options, and you can order the signal chain any way you want, where the NS has a fixed effect order. The NS has less flexibility, and I think it sounds better...besides I didn't need all the flexibility in the M9...not a big effects guy, but I want my effects to sound good to me...the M9 sounds good, but the NS sounded great to me. IMO/YMMV

If you just want effects, I dig the Nova System. If you want 4CM, what about the M13? I would not be surprised by a new Nova at NAMM, but I dig the one I have...if it was a bit smaller, that would be better...like the case their vocal version is in...forgot what it's called.

BTW, I dig the Nova enough that it convinced me to get the G-System. I have both, but I also recently picked up a new Zoom G2.1Nu...(I've been digging Zoom for decades).
I tried the M13 about 2 days ago as a backup to the my G-System. Didn't really like the quality of fx. I'm considering getting the Nova System as a backup instead. Essentially just a second fx setup that I can leave at rehearsal and keep my G-System setup at home for gigging. Is there much differnce as far as setting up the input and output levels from the Nova as oppsed to the G? What I mean is will the Nova System incorporate pretty much into my rig the same as the G-System besides no 4 cable method? Maybe I should just save longer and get another G-System?

Yes, using the Nova System is very similar to the G-System, but much less complex. Setting the levels is the same. Some of the effects don't have all the options and controls (like mix in the OD) but you could probably put your Nova Drive in front, then run the Nova System in the loop bypassing the analog drive section. My Nova System is my smaller version of the G-System board, its size makes it easier to use to experiment with new sounds, once I have a preset I like, I just recreate it in the G. Your knowlege of the G will make the NS easy to use.

victim5150":asywwfur said:
rsm":asywwfur said:

I tried the M13 about 2 days ago as a backup to the my G-System. Didn't really like the quality of fx. I'm considering getting the Nova System as a backup instead. Essentially just a second fx setup that I can leave at rehearsal and keep my G-System setup at home for gigging. Is there much differnce as far as setting up the input and output levels from the Nova as oppsed to the G? What I mean is will the Nova System incorporate pretty much into my rig the same as the G-System besides no 4 cable method? Maybe I should just save longer and get another G-System?

I have an m13 but the convenience of the 4cm does not outweigh the tone loss... Every fx unit i have ever tried with the 4cm has always been a tone destroyer..

Back