The BFG Snorkler Mod

panhead":3p6997gr said:
Jerry`s tone is good but overrated on amp forums
Kudo's to you for saying it. I agree. I'm a huge AIC fan, their influence on me drug me out of the 80's and opened alot of doors as a player that needed to be open to move forward musically. But his tone, yeah I just don't get the love for it. I do like his tone on Facelift, it sounds good but overall I just don't consider his tone a benchmark for what it "seems" to have become. From Friedman to amp modders using it as reference, ok I guess.

Racerxrated":1pg9pc6r said:
panhead":1pg9pc6r said:
Most marshalls modded by bogner during the makenmusic era are the same mod. I have two jmp`s that I sent and just told him to mod them no specifics just like Lee Jackson era you just sent amp for his mod plus or minus efx loop. Different time and place. Jerry`s tone is good but overrated on amp forums
'Jerry's tone' IMO is only about one album...Facelift. Don't care about the following tone on Dirt near as much. It's good of course but the Facelift tone is it. For me it's right up there with all the great HR tones ever.
I haven't played a Bog modded Marshall although I do know 2 members who have one. Neither can get very close to the Facelift tone. That's why it's been reputed to be mostly a driven/pushed Bassman for the Rhythm tone; the Marshall was leads and some rhythm. Like most great album tones its just near impossible to replicate live; way too much going on in the recording process to say that it's just one amp's tone.

the guy who recorded facelift explains the guitars here, says its three amps like has been reported for years. nothing about bogner or bassmans

Steve’s old BFG Snorkler still smokes :rock:

It may not be a perfect tone match to AiC but it is a wicked sounding hot rodded 2204. I play it all the time.

Attachments

• 1780CB5A-2A62-45DD-81C1-45BAB35C79E7.jpeg
    1780CB5A-2A62-45DD-81C1-45BAB35C79E7.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 1,180
So. Did any one of you contact Ronnie? At his studio? No?
So. Anyway. he is not a guy who you Google. If 1 of you, just one of you want to make a record and the material makes him want to work with you? You may use the Snorkler like Jerry did. And I did too! Fact. Try being nice like us musicians are to each other. Hate me band? Cool. Still dare you to pick out he Snorkler and the Quilter! Why??? Ronnie and the entire band of Blastfinger had a blast mixing the 2 amps!!!! It was awesome! We made a record.
You go make one.

So. Anyway. he is not a guy who you Google. If 1 of you, just one of you want to make a record and the material makes him want to work with you? You may use the Snorkler like Jerry did. And I did too! Fact. Try being nice like us musicians are to each other. Hate me band? Cool. Still dare you to pick out he Snorkler and the Quilter! Why??? Ronnie and the entire band of Blastfinger had a blast mixing the 2 amps!!!! It was awesome! We made a record.
You go make one.

This public announcement was brought to you by Anheuser-Busch Companies, LLC.

You go make one.
Sounds like you are more about this amp then your own music.
That sound is so out dated now. Sorry, sad & lonely!
There's a guy you CAN google, his name is
Dave Friedman, he made Jerry a signature amp.
Apparently, that sound you rely on to create music was flushed down the toilet long ago.
By now, we know it's far more then a few amps.
It's layers and layers., blah.
But most importantly, it's the way that JC used his chord voicings tuned down a half step in conjunction with Layne's otherworldly vocals.
Add the most creative solid drummer from that town and there's the sound!
Not a f'n amp.
I hate dude's who come to jam with their historical amps and pointy guitars.

EVERYTIME, I have to refer back to Mick Mars:
"Get your toys and get the f**k out of here".

I know Brian personally and he's a good guy and very talented at what he does that amp sounded incredible in person very thick! He really is an incredible amp Builder and amp moder I can't say enough good about him. I don't know how much he's doing these days but I put him amongst the best of amp modders

This thread is gold.
This thread is Old. Lol
I played a Bogner modded Marshall with the blue board and extra preamp tube.
I could see how the sound of that amp translated to something like what was on Facelift. It had that sound.
I also realized it wasn't special enough to buy, and passed.
Lots of great mods out there these days. Besides, Jerry's tone on the demo using a Randall RG wasn't too far off from Facelift.

Back