Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Jul 08, 2020 2:43am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SL68?
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 01, 2013 10:25pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Sorry for a double post, but I thought I'd ask it here too. Does anyone have experience with the SL68? Thoughts? Any comparisons with similar amps like the Metro Plexi, Mojave, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: SL68?
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 01, 2013 10:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I also would like to know how it compares with the Metro 12 000 & with the Metro-Friedman.

Good deals: Steve_K, Lp Freak,SDhupelia, lockharj

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 09, 2013 5:38pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

another question, if I may?
can the SL68 be ordered with an FX loop?

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 09, 2013 9:55pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I'm pretty sure in another thread, maybe even on another board, John mentioned that the SL68 doesn't come with an effects loop. I get what they are going for, but honestly in this day in age - if I ever get the coin together to do the SL68 I might just beg, borrow and get John some tickets to the sport of his choice with his brew of choice to get an FX loop on that mutha.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2013 12:55pm 
Suhr Guitars

Vanlaing5150 wrote:
I'm pretty sure in another thread, maybe even on another board, John mentioned that the SL68 doesn't come with an effects loop. I get what they are going for, but honestly in this day in age - if I ever get the coin together to do the SL68 I might just beg, borrow and get John some tickets to the sport of his choice with his brew of choice to get an FX loop on that mutha.

I can put a loop in but it really isn't the right amp to do it with unless you wont crank the amp (kind of defeats the reason to have this amp). You really don't want to distort your effects.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 16, 2013 6:42pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Hey John - totally hear what you are saying. So in my current rig, I run everything through a Bradshaw switcher and that has an amp input as well as efx send and return with go to the Amp - Currently a CAA OD100. With an SL86, would a power amp go inbetween or would the rig need some modification to work with the amp

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22, 2013 1:46pm 
Suhr Guitars

Vanlaing5150 wrote:
Hey John - totally hear what you are saying. So in my current rig, I run everything through a Bradshaw switcher and that has an amp input as well as efx send and return with go to the Amp - Currently a CAA OD100. With an SL86, would a power amp go inbetween or would the rig need some modification to work with the amp

What I would do is get a Torpedo Live and use that as a reactive load then a line out to go in to your Rig.
You could also use that to record direct silent and run compensated and IR' signals to the board if you want

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013 9:31am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I'd like to know more about the master volume, on this amp. how well can I control the volume of this amp. I had a plexi for years and that's always the rub. These amps sound fantastic at volume but how does Suhr's master sound? Even at gigs, it's tough to control the volume of these beasts.

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 14, 2013 9:51am 
Banned

We just sold one a SL68 to Darrell here on the board I am sure he will chime in with his thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 11:37pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

King Guitar wrote:
We just sold one a SL68 to Darrell here on the board I am sure he will chime in with his thoughts.

I can barely stop playing this baby enough to chime in!! Perfect plexi tone IMO! The MV works great.....real plexi tones at controlled volume......impossible?? Not now!

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 17, 2013 1:11am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bonedarrell wrote:
King Guitar wrote:

I can barely stop playing this baby enough to chime in!! Perfect plexi tone IMO! The MV works great.....real plexi tones at controlled volume......impossible?? Not now!

ive been waiting to hear an amp do that :rock:

Diezel Herbert,Boogie Mark V, Marshall JCM 2000 TSL,Fender '65 Super Reverb,Randall Warhead cabs..ibanez presige 8 string,Schecter Damien 8 ,gibson sg standard,digitech spacestation,radial direct box,boss 10 band eq
my tones below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTOM4Bo9cGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f87j7is5jPs

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 17, 2013 6:05pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

volume? I know its not made to be played at bedroom volumes but how do you control gig volumes? how does it sound with the master?

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 17, 2013 7:37pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

jamme61 wrote:
volume? I know its not made to be played at bedroom volumes but how do you control gig volumes? how does it sound with the master?

Haven't gigged with it yet, but it is working great during rehearsals so far. The MV works great! I wouldn't have ever thought so with a plexi.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 11:55am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

bonedarrell wrote:
jamme61 wrote:

Haven't gigged with it yet, but it is working great during rehearsals so far. The MV works great! I wouldn't have ever thought so with a plexi.

once you get your sound with the master, will it still clean up with the guitar volume? Do you know what type master is on this amp.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 12:12pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

jamme61 wrote:
bonedarrell wrote:
jamme61 wrote:

once you get your sound with the master, will it still clean up with the guitar volume? Do you know what type master is on this amp.
Thanks

Yes, it still cleans up w/the guitar volume nicely. I am fairly certain it is a PPIMV.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 2:01pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

This looks like a killer amp!!!

I am afraid of the master volume. I have never tried a single amp with a MV on these circuits that sounds good. Same goes for the effects loop (Which this fortunately doesn't have)

Can the SL68 be ordered without the master volume?

Good deals: Steve_K, Lp Freak,SDhupelia, lockharj

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 3:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Nico wrote:

I am afraid of the master volume. I have never tried a single amp with a MV on these circuits that sounds good. Same goes for the effects loop (Which this fortunately doesn't have)

Just don't use the MV. Somebody from Suhr can correct me If I'm wrong, but the MV should be defeated when it is all the way up.

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 3:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Nico wrote:

I have never tried a single amp with a MV on these circuits that sounds good.

Neither had I.................until now.

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 19, 2013 10:53pm 
Suhr Guitars

Nico wrote:

Don't fear with the Master on 10 it is 100% out of the picture.
Plus in the low power mode it is less than 50w
It is very controllable on stage

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 23, 2013 5:55pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

A 50 watt small box version would be nice. maybe a 6v6 version too. Or el34's or 6v6's in the same amp?

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 01, 2013 4:50pm 
Suhr Guitars

jamme61 wrote:
A 50 watt small box version would be nice. maybe a 6v6 version too. Or el34's or 6v6's in the same amp?

Stay tuned and wait for Santa

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 14, 2014 6:54pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Suhr wrote:
Vanlaing5150 wrote:

I can put a loop in but it really isn't the right amp to do it with unless you wont crank the amp (kind of defeats the reason to have this amp). You really don't want to distort your effects.
Hi Mr Suhr, when you say that it would distort the effects,you meant it wont work the same way, as on other amps with loops,and the end results would be awful?...

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07, 2015 2:12pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Nico wrote:

Really? This isn't the master volume they put on fenders in the 70's. Have you ever used a Soldano SLO, Friedman BE100, any Bogner or more appropriately for this thread a PT100? I argue that the PT100 ( Pete Thorn has both) sounds so close that the difference is negligible.

I don't hear it and more importantly, neither does the audience.

Bogner Amps
Stone Age Custom Cabs

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 3:13pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

mxr2000 wrote:
Suhr wrote:
Vanlaing5150 wrote:

Hi Mr Suhr, when you say that it would distort the effects,you meant it wont work the same way, as on other amps with loops,and the end results would be awful?...
Hello Mr Suhr I am interested for the anwer for this question because i want to get myself a SL68 and put a Metropoulos Zero Loss loop. A Loop is important for me To use it with a Foxrox paradox tzf pedal that to sound good most be place in a Clean amp or after a overdriven preamp section in a loop.

PostPosted: Sun, May 31, 2020 9:19pm 
Rock God

mxr2000 wrote:
mxr2000 wrote:
Suhr wrote:
Vanlaing5150 wrote:

Hello Mr Suhr I am interested for the anwer for this question because i want to get myself a SL68 and put a Metropoulos Zero Loss loop. A Loop is important for me To use it with a Foxrox paradox tzf pedal that to sound good most be place in a Clean amp or after a overdriven preamp section in a loop.

John hasn’t posted here in years. You’re better of sending him an email or contact him on The Gear Page