Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Feb 20, 2019 3:37pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 25, 2018 9:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 8:18pm
Posts: 307
Are you human?: 951
Just wanted to read your honest thoughts on this mod as compared to my Pandora which can be heard in my Signature.

Good, Bad or Ugly Thanks guys. I'd like your $.02

David...♫


_________________
Hopkins Mods

Hopkins "Pandora" & "MorningStar"


Hopkins "SoCaliDondo"


Hopkins "Jose"


Last edited by NewReligion on Mon, Dec 03, 2018 8:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 25, 2018 11:51pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, May 06, 2017 4:21pm
Posts: 896
Location: Texas
Are you human?: 951
Sounds really good


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 26, 2018 12:32am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 8:18pm
Posts: 307
Are you human?: 951
CrazyNutz wrote:
Sounds really good


Thank you for your input Crazynutz.

David

_________________
Hopkins Mods

Hopkins "Pandora" & "MorningStar"


Hopkins "SoCaliDondo"


Hopkins "Jose"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 26, 2018 8:59pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Sat, Dec 13, 2014 12:57pm
Posts: 573
Are you human?: 951
Sounds really good as mentioned. I cant say I dont like the chords as much ad the notes per say* the notes seem to jump out more. Now that could be the mic or many components used to record the clip so I would like to clarify I have no idea. It sounds like it's fun to play and that's what matters most. Your playing is damn good , enjoyed House of the Rising Shred" it's hard to know what the feel is like with amps/mods just by listening, as we are all different so style is definitely a big part of it, especially for a stiff hack like me lol. Dig the tones!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 26, 2018 9:33pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 8:18pm
Posts: 307
Are you human?: 951
Beandust wrote:
Sounds really good as mentioned. I cant say I dont like the chords as much ad the notes per say* the notes seem to jump out more. Now that could be the mic or many components used to record the clip so I would like to clarify I have no idea. It sounds like it's fun to play and that's what matters most. Your playing is damn good , enjoyed House of the Rising Shred" it's hard to know what the feel is like with amps/mods just by listening, as we are all different so style is definitely a big part of it, especially for a stiff hack like me lol. Dig the tones!



Great assessment. Thank you for taking the time and going into depth with a detailed ear. Thanks again.

David

_________________
Hopkins Mods

Hopkins "Pandora" & "MorningStar"


Hopkins "SoCaliDondo"


Hopkins "Jose"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 7:09pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Dec 19, 2009 7:40pm
Posts: 654
Location: Mass
Are you human?: 951
Amp sounds mean as hell, really good.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 7:39pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 8:18pm
Posts: 307
Are you human?: 951
bhuard75 wrote:
Amp sounds mean as hell, really good.



Thank you very much. I am currently working two new circuits to compliment my Pandora circuit which can be heard below.

Thanks again for the input and great words.

David

_________________
Hopkins Mods

Hopkins "Pandora" & "MorningStar"


Hopkins "SoCaliDondo"


Hopkins "Jose"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24, 2018 11:21pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2118
Are you human?: 951
I agree with what beandust says, the chordal tones don’t come across as clear with note separation. The chords are bassy and smeared sounding. The single notes sound good though.

I listened to the new clip you put up and I’m hearing the same thing. Maybe it’s still a work in progress?

That said, I’m not in the room or playing so I can only comment on both recorded clips.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Dec 30, 2018 10:50pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 8:18pm
Posts: 307
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
I agree with what beandust says, the chordal tones don’t come across as clear with note separation. The chords are bassy and smeared sounding. The single notes sound good though.

I listened to the new clip you put up and I’m hearing the same thing. Maybe it’s still a work in progress?

That said, I’m not in the room or playing so I can only comment on both recorded clips.



Thanks for the detailed observation to which I agree entirely. Most amps of late are still a work in progress as many including Dave Friedman are still tweaking circuits like the BE 100 to please the masses. This being said I have been working at more clarity with multiple notes as opposed to singular note definition on this circuit.

I pushed the "all tube non cathode follower" to the limit of saturation while remaining a stable non micro-phonic mess. Now to keep the single note saturation while cleaning up the smear as you defined it. As for too much Bass that is as easy as turning down the Depth/Resonance. Sometimes depending on the customer and their cab speakers I use different value pots and caps both fixed and/or adjustable.

Placing certain coupling cap(s) on A/B toggle(s) may be a great option for this circuit.

It is not as articulate as my "Pandora" mod as it is more saturated but does have more Grind to the Growl which is the goal as requested by the customer who owns a few of my circuits. I have been experimenting with different Tone Stacks with this as well. Here I am using the stock Marshall 1987/1959/2203/2204 TS.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. This is what helps me reach my goals.

Here is the latest evolution of the SoCaliDondo. Thanks. David...♫

_________________
Hopkins Mods

Hopkins "Pandora" & "MorningStar"


Hopkins "SoCaliDondo"


Hopkins "Jose"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jan 04, 2019 4:17pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 122
Are you human?: 951
Hey guys! David made this amp for me, and it arrived today and the video does not do it justice. I plugged it into a Friedman 4x12 and it really surprised me. It maintains good clarity right up through an extremely high level of gain, including good note separation. Even on the lower strings...I went into drop-D and did some stacked-fifth chords and they really sang. This is a fantastic mod!

_________________
Fun fact: My name is Dave. Dan Burton was the name on my fake ID in college.
Guitars: PRS (x8), Gibson (x10), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x4), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x3), Soldano (x4), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x3), Wizard, Splawn (x2), Marshall (x8), Voodoo (x3), Fender (x2), Bogner (x2), KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2019 1:04pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 8:18pm
Posts: 307
Are you human?: 951
danburton wrote:
Hey guys! David made this amp for me, and it arrived today and the video does not do it justice. I plugged it into a Friedman 4x12 and it really surprised me. It maintains good clarity right up through an extremely high level of gain, including good note separation. Even on the lower strings...I went into drop-D and did some stacked-fifth chords and they really sang. This is a fantastic mod!



Hi Dave. Thanks for the great review. You certainly know how to lay down a challenge lol. This circuit goes right up to the edge as far as all tube saturation with clarity. I worked out my own version of a non cathode follower circuit giving it 4 gain stages. Coupling, anode and cathode values are huge in shaping the gain bias as you well know but placement of components for clarity is "key".

Thanks again for a great review.

David...♫

_________________
Hopkins Mods

Hopkins "Pandora" & "MorningStar"


Hopkins "SoCaliDondo"


Hopkins "Jose"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PAULYC2 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use